JimK

This is scary...

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just walked out of Warehouse that was full of barrels with this sign on it. While the company I was working at is not located on Raritan Bay, I know of one that does identical business that is located almost exactly on Raritan Bay. Bad things would happen if they ever had a leak there. Also the barrels it came from are filled with chemicals that are used to make flavorings. Really?? We ingest this crap.

20210413_181026_HDR.jpg

Edited by JimK

38 mins ago, JimK said:

I just walked out of Warehouse that was full of barrels with this sign on it. While the company I was working at is not located on Raritan Bay, I know of one that does identical business that is located almost exactly on Raritan Bay. Bad things would happen if they ever had a leak there. Also the barrels it came from fare filled with chemicals that are used to make flavorings. Really?? We ingest this crap.

20210413_181026_HDR.jpg

Lots of industry around the bay.  I would imagine in the old days everything was discharged.

What was the paint company that used to be just west of the parkway bridge. I’m pretty sure they added some color to to the raritan river over the years. 

11 mins ago, Kml said:

What was the paint company that used to be just west of the parkway bridge. I’m pretty sure they added some color to to the raritan river over the years. 

Dutch boy?

4 hours ago, RL Bucktails said:

Lots of industry around the bay.  I would imagine in the old days everything was discharged.

Yes,  in  the mainstream Raritan they had "dams" like the calico dam in bound brook that were put in just to disperse waste evenly across the river

In the 50's, when all the industries were located on or near the Raritan River, they were all discharging polutants  directly into the river and the bay was completely devoid of life. They were all forced to join the trunk sewer that was constructed and placed in the river or to shut down operations. 

Yea the raritan is not the cleanest of places; definitely not the worst, I'd probably give that to the passaic. Do people eat fish from there? The DEP consumption advisories arent very high.

In brooklyn the red dye from the maraschino cherries turned the bees red that is how they found where it was coming from 

Edited by Blank Disc

If you think about it for a minute.  Every stream, creek and trickle eventually goes to the bay.

The amount of toxic stuff that flows down is still staggering.  The places right on the bay were / are just easy to see.  The places dumping miles up a stream not so much.  

certainly much better than it was and there is always the danger of a spill, but I think the real threat is the loss of permeable land in NJ that filters water.  The land that is left is treated with nutrients and we have more runoff esp salt and oil from the roads.  It's become a real problem in the freshwater lakes. From a selfish standpoint, it keeps  other users off the water, but businesses that count on visitors to the lakes should be making a stink. 

5 hours ago, richs said:

certainly much better than it was and there is always the danger of a spill, but I think the real threat is the loss of permeable land in NJ that filters water.  The land that is left is treated with nutrients and we have more runoff esp salt and oil from the roads.  It's become a real problem in the freshwater lakes. From a selfish standpoint, it keeps  other users off the water, but businesses that count on visitors to the lakes should be making a stink. 

This.... wasn't until the last 20 years that sewer grates had the advisory that the runoff goes directly into the waterways... brine gets spread at the very mention of snow

Edited by Frugal Fisherman