Kbetts

Anyone use plastic bead chain?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Cool idea, never though about using plastic bead chain.  I wonder how that affects its orientation in the water.  Does the bead chain float?  If its nuetrally buoyant it might work well to add drag.

Used to like to use the smaller sized ones on my damsel and dragonfly patterns when I was doing a lot of lake fishing.

SF

For tropics flys I use them regularly on tarpon toads and smaller bonefish flys . 

For the tarpon size you can get plastic bead chain for window blinds. I think I got enough for 10 lifetimes. 

The little ones I don’t do a lot so just get them from the regular fly shop sources although I am sure the craft stores would be a good source.

10 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Used to like to use the smaller sized ones on my damsel and dragonfly patterns when I was doing a lot of lake fishing.

SF

I pretty much did the same thing liked the look well enough. Didn't really explore it all that much though. 

I use them quite a bit as eyes on baitfish patterns.They can slow the sink rate.I don't use them to "clouser" a fly.

4 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Does the lighter weight of the plastic bead effect the hook inversion? 

What little I tied with them there was no inversion. The flies performed the way I wanted them to . 

Like KidDkivahh, I've used them for damsel and dragonfly nymphs.  I've also used them for eyes on foam dragonfly and damsel flies.  They don't add any weight to the floating flies.  They also make decent eyes for crayfish patterns.