ianroddie

Best tape for casting or glove

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I know there are some forums on this topic but I wanted to know some specific brands or types of protection for surf casting.

some say tape and some say gloves.

in my local tackle store, they have these gloves “shout jigging gloves” which look nice but I’m not sure if they would last for casting on the index finger.

I just bought a cheap pack of cloth finger cots from Bezos. Probably won't stay on as well as tape on harder casts but we'll see

53 mins ago, njcatchrelease said:

I've heard that any Self Adherent Cohesive Wrap Bandage works well.  It sticks to itself but not to your finger and can get wet.

In the same vain I've used a product named GuazTex for years, works great. Recommend the 3/4in width. Works for line burns and cuts both, stays put and inexpensive.

Get a Gamakatsu casting finger/glove. I use 1 a season for like $15 at a B&T. You can get cheaper knock offs on ebay.

61pnmXYijCL._SX425_.jpg

GuazTex sticks to itself so well that after a days fishing sometimes its easiest to cut with scissors to remove.

Go to a bike shop and get an old road bike inner tube they are throwing out.  Snip a piece off in the desired length and you have your finger guard.  Not my idea but have been using this method for years and one inner tube should last you a long time.

15 mins ago, dpiatos said:

does it stand up to braid?

I only use braid. Like I said, expect 1 season out of it. I buy one every year at the spring sales. The knock offs are like 3 for $20 but don't last as well.

2 hours ago, dpiatos said:

I use johnson and johnson 1 inch durapore tape. Must say Durapore

This J&J tape is the best especially if you wade out or are getting water splashes on you they tape stays even when hockey tape starts to fall when wet. 

I’ve never vottwn line burn from casting. Ever, in over 30 years of fishing.

i have gotten line burn from doing stupid stuff like pulling on line when I’m snagged up or touching my line when I have a fish on. Casting? Nope, waste of money

Posted (edited) · Report post

When you grow up and get some callus and conventional tackle you will not have that problem. 

Edited by oc1