Frank2104

Follow tides or time of day?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Getting into beach fishing late in life. I've been reading a lot of different forums. I've seen several things that seem to suggest that hitting the beach around sunrise or late in the day is recommended. Others talk about hitting an incoming or outgoing tide. Is one factor more important than the other? Being retired and about an hour and half from DE beaches I can be real flexible. Just need to know how to plan.

Thanks in advance and for all the good info I've found on this site.

Welcome Frank....

A lot of anglers have a preference, mine is pre sunrise, but I’ve seen large fish caught at all times of day and night and at all tide levels. 

I believe barametric pressure and wind direction are the factors to pay attention to, with tide over time of day. 

Expand beyond De. for better catching :worms:

Bottom line.... if it feels right, go fishin :) 

Stripers are by nature nocturnal, not to say they don't feed during the day. You'll also be able to have more elbow room and less interference when things do heat up. Your not looking for sunny mid afternoon times, unless your fishing for fluke (summer flounder) or bluefish, for bluefish all scientific data needs to be ignored as if they are around they will be chewing regardless of time, tide or weather.

My advice, if you can fish from 2-3AM till an hour after sunrise, given the choice and to keep a lifestyle going, this will work. If you were a real hunter and concerned mainly with stripers, I'd fish from 10PM until 2AM. 

I have found the best fishing times from the beach to be two hours before sunrise to 1 hour after sunrise. This may just be my fishing style, and others may have a style that suits them to catch more fish at different times.

The best tide, to me at least, seems to be more structure/location dependent. I also find the best wind direction to be similarly dependent on structure/location (though I am partial to a SW breeze overall). Water has to be moving where the fish are, but those fish also seek moving water. Even during what we think of as a slack tide, there are areas/depths where the water is moving. This water movement is more pronounced or accentuated in inlets, bays, troughs, etc. But, even the tiniest of bars/structure on what looks like an open beach provide differences in water movement that could, theoretically, provide a better bite at a certain point in the tide cycle.

Honestly though, I have none of the above figured out to any degree of certainty. Trying to make it all come together is why we grab our rods and head out at any opportunity we can find.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well ya gotta go at night during the right tide for the spot you are fishing...if ya wanna put yourself in the best position to catch fish 

Edited by CLFish5

I like sunrise and sunset the most.  I was drum fishing one fall with a friend of mine. He got discouraged and started to pack up. I convinced him to stay until the tide changed. We both caught several citations as the tide started coming back in again. Could be a coincidence, but I’ve had good luck an hour before and after a slack tide throughout the years. 

Two things I will say.  One cent each...

1) I catch fish when I have bait in the water

2) North winds suck

Thanks to all for the responses!!!   Maybe see ya on the beach sometime. If you see an older guy towing his gear across the sand on a kids plastic toboggan......it might be me.

Just go when you can. I like a few hours before sunset and into the night and a few hours before sunrise and into the morning.

One things for sure you can't catch them from home!

If you’re retired, fish during the week. Also tides can matter but if you have the time just fish all of them  LOL. I get out when I can and I catch fish but I have to work for them.

High tide with some sort of west wind...coupled with dawn or dusk ....fishing at night is another chapter entirely ....but I’ve seen fish caught all tides al weather ....just fish , can’t be on the couch all the time...LOL LOL LOL