coastalfreak

50-100 dollar spinning rods - hit me with suggestions.

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Right now, I’m rocking a pretty cheap setup - Penn Wrath 3000 (which I really enjoy actually) on a 7’ Medium Fiberglass rod. While the rod is great for throwing dead shrimp out for the small saltwater panfish we love, I noticed on a recent outing for typical inshore species that it just wasn’t doing the trick. 

I was fishing live shrimp under corks and on bottom, and some sheepshead were biting. Not only was the bite difficult to detect with a pure glass rod, I just could not get a hook in em with a soft, flimsy rod. Also, on the rare occasions that I did throw artificial, working the lures with a rod like that just simply doesn’t work. I think I’ll reserve this rod for the croaker fishing I love to do, but in the mean time, I’d like to upgrade rods. 

My budget is around 50 to 100 dollars. Here’s what I’ve been thinking. I want something a good amount stiffer than fiberglass and much more sensitive, but not SUPER stiff. Just something really comfortable and a good compromise. If you are familiar with the old Penn Squadron II mediums I really liked their actions.

I prefer a clean, basic rod with a full cork grip. Just me, I’m not a flashy rod guy. Preferably 6’6” or 7’. 

- Offshore Angler Gold Cup (My buddy in SoFlo has one and speaks very highly of it)

- Star Aerial

- Shimano Teramar (price makes me a little nervous but the reviews seem to make it justified)

Ill probably pair the rod up in the future with a 2500-3000 Shimano, Daiwa, or composite Penn. I love my metal penn reels but I want something a lot lighter I can use on my yak all day, but still durable and reliable. 

As I kinda said, I fish a lot of live bait on popping corks and small bottom rigs in the 1/2 to 5/8 oz max range. I’ll also throw artificials like spoons, bucktails, and paddletails up to that weight range too. 

Target Species: Redfish, Trout, Brackish Largemouth Bass, Flounder, Small Black Drum, and potentially surf Pompano and Mackerel on light tackle.  

I know this has been a mouthful, really do appreciate it though. 

Thanks, 

CF

Have you considered buying used, sometimes it takes a few weeks to find but usually if its good gear you can find it at about 50% of the cost of new? Much fishing gear is seldom used, you can find treasure in some folks garages and basements. You already know what your looking for.

One piece or two? 

At that price range, I'm going Okuma Epixor.  I have one and I love it.  I have 20 inshore 7-7'6" M-MH rods from $75 to Century Weapon Jrs and that Okuma Epixor punches way above its weight.  Cork grip, slender, very light (about same as St Croix Mojo which I don't recommend even though I have 4 of em) and plenty of backbone.

They are 1 piece and I always bring one on the boat since they can do everything.

I have a pair of Teramars, and they are also nice.  But a bit softer and considerably heavier.  Not a bad thing.  If I wanted a more sporty ride I'm going Epixor (and less money), if I wanted a more universal rod with moderate fast action I'd go Teramar.  Not sure you can even find those older teramars right now and the new ones are $$$$$$.

I also prefer going the used route if you can be patient to find a good deal. More rod for your money that way. Something like a St Croix Premier series is a good bang for your buck if you can find one used for around 50% of retail - nothing fancy but a solid all around rod. 

I happen to have a 6'6" m star ariel. Its pretty much my sheepshead rod. Not great with lures.

For general inshore fishing look at the falcon coastal popping rods. I have the medium popper in 7ft its great.

I was going to recommend the St. Croix Triumph series, but they are on the upper edge of your range. Nice bang for your buck...

If you don't want an "overly stiff" rod, try to find a moderate, moderate-fast rod in your desired weight range. The Extra Fast rods only flex in the very tip section, and will feel "stiffer" than a moderate-fast rod in the same lure weight range.

I do a lot of inshore Trout and Speck fishing, and I really like 'poppin rods' since they tend to be more of a moderate or moderate fast action versus extra fast... makes a big different when fishing Trout which have very tender mouths which are easy to pull hooks out of with a stiff rod.

1 min ago, JAL said:

I was going to recommend the St. Croix Triumph series, but they are on the upper edge of your range. Nice bang for your buck...

I was going to suggest the same - but I'm not sure of their current costs after last year's reboot of this series. I'm petty sure they fell into the price range prior to the reboot (although as you say, on the upper end of it)

I'd recommend the Daiwa Laguna spinning rods for a budget inshore rod. I like the 7' 1/8 - 3/4 and pair it with a Stradic or Procyon 2500

For the price its got good sensitivity and great casting ability, $39 at Academy 

I haven't held one or fished one, but the new Shimano GLF rods may be catered towards exactly your fishery and needs. $90 MSRP. Shimano builds a very good rod too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just picked up a Penn Battalion 2 surf rod from a company in Hawaii. A great rod with Alconite guides and Fuji reel seat. Rubber shrink wrap, which isn’t my favorite but is light. I’d rather have cork tape, to be honest. The smallest they make in the surf line is an 8’er, so might be longer than you need. The 8’ is $100 with free shipping from that company. Penn makes a line of Battalion 2 inshore rods as well and have cork grips. You can get those in 7’, a few with either 1/2oz or 5/8oz lure rating. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for.  Good luck finding one right now. 
  I will have to wait and see how my new rod holds up. I put a Stradic 3000 with 20lbs Original Fireline on it. Not a bad cheap rod. The cost of the reel and line are another story. I thought about putting a Tournament SS1600 instead to save some money ... . 

Edited by Rougesun

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked up a steelhead rod to try out this season or back bay fluke and schoolies. Perfect for bucktailing and soft plastics. Okuma celilo casting rod. At an 8'6" heavy rating it has a 1/2-4 rating. It's a little whippy but decent backbone, I think the 4oz may may high for a rating, but I'll find out soon enough haha. 

They have spinning setups as well, and the mediumheavy or medium rating rods would be more of the lure rating your looking for in this model and at in that 50-100 range. 

Edited by Italianbuca

25 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Thanks for the great info y’all, very much appreciated. Seems like Shimano makes some very nice rods for the money. 

Shimano does make some great rods for the money.