jsfishy

Nahant flounder?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm in Nahant through May 23. I'm hoping to catch at least a couple of weeks of the striper run, but I'm getting pretty antsy till then. Would I have any hope in targeting flounder from shore in the interim? Some of those online fishing reports suggest flounder fishing in Lynn harbor, but they seem to assume a boat. 

Try the mud flats at Point of Pines.  If you want to go a bit further north, try the Dog Bar in Gloucester, just be careful casting around those boats that are anchored on the sandy side.  Parking is limited at the Dog Bar though, only 10 spaces or so and it’s $5  parking.

Be honest if I think where u are in nahant and a date of til may 23..   if an underground bunker rings a bell..  better fishing the point at night with some clams or worms.. should be able to get some cod if you want action..  might need to figure out where they are.. but the action can be quite fast pace for the month of May.  

On 4/12/2021 at 2:26 PM, jsfishy said:

I'm in Nahant through May 23. I'm hoping to catch at least a couple of weeks of the striper run, but I'm getting pretty antsy till then. Would I have any hope in targeting flounder from shore in the interim? Some of those online fishing reports suggest flounder fishing in Lynn harbor, but they seem to assume a boat. 

Start with a non rectal thermometer and find out the water temp. When it gets above 50F (sometime during the 1st week of May) you will start to catch "what's there" in the way of flounder. That is the temperature where they turn on the feed bag. Of course as long as it is in the low 50's, sunshine over a dark bottom (dark mud-flat) will be some added help. 

On Thursday I went out (launched on Wednesday), I went out with Armindo and had all of one skate in 47F water. Today, after yesterdays "uncalled for cold", the water was down a couple of degrees to 45F.

We did catch 2 skates today but the crabs seemed to be less active and the water was stirred up and weedy from the blow. When there are a lot of flounder in the overall population (locally), they pile into the local bays and estuaries in Mid April and they do respond, to an extent to the chum but they rarely bite. It is during those situations when we snag more fish in a trip than we catch in the mouth. 

These past few years, the flounder population has been dropping rapidly and the bite does not get going until; May 7th or 8th, well after the 50F is achieved.

Be patient and do not judge the fishing by what you see in April. Good Luck! 

041521skate.jpg

041721mike.jpg