ksong

Black Hole kayak rods

43 posts in this topic

I too prefer a full rear eva handle on my kayak rods. Otherwise they don’t sit in a rod holder very well. Or is this intended to be a jigging / casting rod only? Either way, the blanks will get all scratched up sitting in the rod holders when taking a fish off or just rocking around on the move.

Posted (edited) · Report post

How long will it take for these rods to be available? Are these prototype in New Jersey to see them?

Edited by Steve_M

On 4/18/2021 at 0:08 AM, redfish12 said:

I too prefer a full rear eva handle on my kayak rods. Otherwise they don’t sit in a rod holder very well. Or is this intended to be a jigging / casting rod only? Either way, the blanks will get all scratched up sitting in the rod holders when taking a fish off or just rocking around on the move.

It makes sense.  It might be too late. But I will ask them make full rear eva handle in addition to split grips if they ordered parts already..

On 4/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, Steve_M said:

How long will it take for these rods to be available? Are these prototype in New Jersey to see them?

I expect by Sept, but it is hard to predict as everything is delayed due to COVID 19.

Yes, you can check these prototype rods in NJ.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, redfish12 said:

Thanks! They look great, what are the planned ratings?

The blanks are the same as 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rods.

The blanks are very light and sensitive to detect fluke, winter flounder, tog or squid, but they have excellent backbone to catch grouper, halibut, lingcod, cobia, bull red and even tuna,.

I think the rods are excellent choice by kayak fishermen as they need very sensitive and light rods to detect fluke or tog, but they also need powerful rod when they encounter big fluke, tog, striper, bull red or cobia.

The rating is 1 oz - 6 oz, but I used upto 10 oz jigs for halibut or big ling cod in Alaska.

68csfluke.jpg

68cshaddok.jpg

68csstriper.jpg

68cstog.jpg

68cscod2.jpg

68csgrouper.jpg

68cshalibut2.jpg

68csking.jpg

68cslingcod.jpg

68cstarpon.jpg

68cstuna2.jpg

5 mins ago, redfish12 said:

Looks like a winner! So the main difference is a shorter butt and no spiral wrap?

Yes it has shorter butt as majority kayak fishermen prefer shorter butt. But we will introduce spinning, regular conventional and spiral kayak rods.

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Ugly Stick. 

Ugly Stick is a good rod for the money. I used them inshore for 10 years.

I highly recommend the rods for those who start fishing.