Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, darter said:

Does anyone know, if you can bring your own electric trolling motor, to use on the rental boats?

yes people often bring an electric motor for the rentals

You can bring an electric motor of your own. Bite was tough today.  If you want a rental boat I'd strongly suggest going very early. With tomorrow's rains it wouldn't as busy. But by 6am today all the rentals at gate 8 were gone. 

Ctown

20210424_142244.jpg

20210424_112000.jpg

20210424_130846.jpg

IMG_8451.JPEG

On 4/23/2021 at 9:46 AM, bob_G said:

When you think about how litigious our society has become, it's amazing the DCR even allows boat rentals 

Think about it.  Any jamoke with no boating experience at all, can rent a boat he's never seen, load his kids on a board, and strike off into waters he knows nothing about.

It's a recipe for disaster.  And how much does the DCR make at the end of a season, a few bucks?  

It seems to me the risk far outweighs the reward.

:agree:

1 hour ago, ctownfisherman said:

You can bring an electric motor of your own. Bite was tough today.  If you want a rental boat I'd strongly suggest going very early. With tomorrow's rains it wouldn't as busy. But by 6am today all the rentals at gate 8 were gone. 

Ctown

20210424_142244.jpg

20210424_112000.jpg

20210424_130846.jpg

IMG_8451.JPEG

Nice lakers. Thanks for the report.

13 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Theres a small bait shop as you drive down the roads towards the Q at one of the gates. Does anyone buy shiners from there on their way in?

I have but usually bring them. As you may not get a rental boat while waiting to get bait. Ouchie. 

Good luck fish are Deep!

Posted (edited) · Report post

My fishing buddy and I fished Monday the 19th, most of the time jigging for Lakers. 50ft seemed to hold the most fish but got a nice one casting into 15ft on a steep grade. Tin jigs with a grub worked great but got them on a Vibra and a narrow spoon. We got about 14 lakers in the end.

FLIXwH5m.jpg

AsjGK1Cm.jpg

rsw33fAm.jpg

TeDJXGMm.jpg

Edited by Stripernut1

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Do you guys eat lakers?

Ive eaten one laker, just one time, maybe 8 years ago or longer at this point. It was so disgusting I can still remember how disgusting it was. I had the tiniest morsel of meat and instantly threw it in the trash and went out for fried chicken. It was so awful that after I picked up my chicken  and was driving home, I burped, and the taste was so bad I almost threw up.

That being said, I am willing to try it again, but IFF someone who has prepared it eats it first. I heard you need to smoke them but I baked mine in the oven. Apparently people do eat the, and I  find it hard to believe they can eat something so awful, so maybe I just didnt make it right.

I have eaten a few and all but one was not very good (I don't smoke fish), but that one was one of the best fish I have ever eaten... I think it comes down to what they have been eating...

Back in the 70s there used to be a guy from Clinton who did real well on Chu lakers.  I never had any, but people told me his smoked laker was amazing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Do you guys eat lakers?

I kept a couple of lakers when I first started fishing Wachusett. Not a fan. I have no desire to eat them again.

I've done charters on Lake Huron out of Port Austin in Michigan. There's a restaurant in town that will cook your catch. They fry 'em up in bite sized pieces, kind of like fish nuggets. They also serve them with huge pierogis that are the size of sliver dollar pancakes. Lake Huron togue taste better than 'Chu lakers. 

Edited by zak-striper