Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Colrain said:

Fished Saturday thru Tuesday. We rent and got to the gate extremely early the night before the opener. Good thing we did as we were the 8th rental out of 14 boats available. We target salmon and troll on top using a variety of lures and streamers. This day started out a little slow. My son got our first fish about and hour in. It was a 20 inch rainbow on a streamer. Beautiful fat fish. We changed to streamers on all 4 rods and had a pretty good day. Totals were 4 salmon, 2 rainbows, 2 lakers, and 4 smallies all on the same type streamer on top. Lost a real nice salmon at the boat. The big rainbow and one of the smallmouth were large enough for a catch and release pin. The Salmon that got away would have definitely been eligible also. 

Day 2 went to the same gate hoping for a repeat of the action from the day before. Fished with a friend this day. Same tactics in the same areas didnt work out so well. We managed 2 fish for the day. 1 decent smallmouth and 1 smallish laker. Tried other things though out the day but didnt have much luck.

Day 3 we decided to try a different gate. We went to gate 8 and the first thing we noticed was that they had some brand new rental boats. These are really nice compared to the older boats. They are 14 ft Marlon aluminum utility boats. Google it for a picture. Much more comfortable and ride better. Anyway this day was ok. We ended up with 4 salmon, a rainbow and a laker.

Day 4 back to gate 8. Fishing was extremely slow for us all day. 1 rainbow was all we caught. Will try again next weekend.

:)

6 mins ago, JohnQ said:

Two boats swamped at Gate 8 today one sunk.Not much information yet.

I heard about that as well. Although I'm not sure if it completely sunk or.was.just swamped pretty badly.

In the 50+ years that they've been renting I can't imagine this was the 1st time.

Helll a smal cesna type plane made an emergency landing in the rez a few years ago on an exposed flat in the middle of the rez 

37 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

boat completely sunk. I'm hearing foul play with 2 rentals was the cause.

What does foul play mean? 
We had some pretty strong wind and storms come through this afternoon that probably created some pretty big chop. 

17 mins ago, z-man said:

What does foul play mean? 
We had some pretty strong wind and storms come through this afternoon that probably created some pretty big chop. 

not quite sure but from what I gathered they were fooling around. I could be wrong but this is what I heard. 

10 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

not quite sure but from what I gathered they were fooling around. I could be wrong but this is what I heard. 

Thats just what we need! I really hope Q rentals dont turn in the canal and then we lose access to them.

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Thats just what we need! I really hope Q rentals dont turn in the canal and then we lose access to them.

agreed. they will rent a boat to anyone that pays. I saw a 2 rentals racing each other and jumping each others wakes when I was there on Sunday. people better smarten up or its going to be another thing we loose access to.

The DCR will rent a boat to one too many irresponsible boater with no boating experience, and there will be a drowning.  The family will hire a high power attorney, and sue the pants off the DCR and the Commonwealth, and will likely win an out of court settlement.  That will effectively end Q boat rentals. 

22 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

agreed. they will rent a boat to anyone that pays. I saw a 2 rentals racing each other and jumping each others wakes when I was there on Sunday. people better smarten up or its going to be another thing we loose access to.

They couldn't have been racing too fast or have big wakes as they are only 8 HP motors.   

29 mins ago, clambellies said:

They couldn't have been racing too fast or have big wakes as they are only 8 HP motors.   

still doesn't make it right. you take a wake on one and cut it too sharp you can absolutely loose control and swamp it. 

When you think about how litigious our society has become, it's amazing the DCR even allows boat rentals 

Think about it.  Any jamoke with no boating experience at all, can rent a boat he's never seen, load his kids on a board, and strike off into waters he knows nothing about.

It's a recipe for disaster.  And how much does the DCR make at the end of a season, a few bucks?  

It seems to me the risk far outweighs the reward.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, bob_G said:

......  The family will hire a high power attorney, and sue the pants off the DCR and the Commonwealth, and will likely win an out of court settlement.  ... 

I've not rented at The Q, but doesn't the DCR require a waiver and release of liability agreement to be signed by the renter of the boat?

19 mins ago, Joe G said:

I've not rented at The Q, but doesn't the DCR require a waiver and release of liability agreement to be signed by the renter of the boat?

You can probably still sue in the case of death, but then again I'm not a lawyer