Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Anyone know if the boat rental program is happening this year? It says online that the season opens April 17th, but I dont see anything clearly saying you can rent a boat

Yes, rentals are back! Woot woot! I didn't fish the Q last year because of no rentals.

 

You have to provide your own coast guard approved PFD. The Q isnt' providing them this year. I bought one on Amazon recently for $14.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Yes, rentals are back! Woot woot! I didn't fish the Q last year because of no rentals.

 

You have to provide your own coast guard approved PFD. The Q isnt' providing them this year. I bought one on Amazon recently for $14.

Great! Thanks for the update,  i would've made the trip and been sent home for not having a PFD

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth
Text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I can only imagine the lines this year. wish they would make 2 lines one for rentals/shore fishermen and one for boats

Last year was my first at Q. I have a boat sealed for the Res. It was nice not fighting a line of people renting boats. Not sure if I will keep the seal this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Quabbin website it claims that the RENTALS won't start until May 15.   The Q opens to shore fishing and privately owned boats on April 17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I can only imagine the lines this year. wish they would make 2 lines one for rentals/shore fishermen and one for boats

Nice idea but it will never happen.   The DCR is all about downsizing access and therefore employees, they aren't going to provide additional employees to run two lines.  Plus the roads going in to the boat launch areas are narrow, no way to provide two lanes in and one lane out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, clambellies said:

On the Quabbin website it claims that the RENTALS won't start until May 15.   The Q opens to shore fishing and privately owned boats on April 17.

Here is the link. I think you might be mistaken and boat rentals begin this weekend.  

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/quabbin-reservoir-fishing-guide

 

Oh and there are some Giant smallies in that place. This was #6+ caught while throwing a spoon for lakers. 

IMG_2897.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ctownfisherman said:

Here is the link. I think you might be mistaken and boat rentals begin this weekend.  

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/quabbin-reservoir-fishing-guide

 

Oh and there are some Giant smallies in that place. This was #6+ caught while throwing a spoon for lakers. 

IMG_2897.JPG

 

I'm glad to see that your right and I was wrong.  I misread what the website said.  Quabbin Reservoir 2021 Fishing Season opens on Saturday April 17. Boat rentals will be available (canoes/kayaks starting May 15),   It's canoes/kayaks that are available May 15.  Yippee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I can only imagine the lines this year. wish they would make 2 lines one for rentals/shore fishermen and one for boats

They only have 15 or so rentals. They have been walking down the line passing out the paperwork needed to be filled out to help make the line move quicker. Takes us about 1 minutes or less to walk over and pay and be on our way. Takes longer for boats to back down the ramps and launch. Especially the rookies :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colrain said:

They only have 15 or so rentals. They have been walking down the line passing out the paperwork needed to be filled out to help make the line move quicker. Takes us about 1 minutes or less to walk over and pay and be on our way. Takes longer for boats to back down the ramps and launch. Especially the rookies :).

They had connectivity issues last season paying. Not enough cell service for their iPad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ged said:

They had connectivity issues last season paying. Not enough cell service for their iPad. 

Funny you say that. Last time we went out on a rental the motor died on us. We had to row for what seemed like forever until we could get a cell signal to make a call to the ranger station for a tow. It was a pretty hot afternoon too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ged said:

They had connectivity issues last season paying. Not enough cell service for their iPad. 

Didn't think of that. I wasn't there last year. We always paid cash. Not sure if you can now. We made sure to have the exact amount needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished Saturday thru Tuesday. We rent and got to the gate extremely early the night before the opener. Good thing we did as we were the 8th rental out of 14 boats available. We target salmon and troll on top using a variety of lures and streamers. This day started out a little slow. My son got our first fish about and hour in. It was a 20 inch rainbow on a streamer. Beautiful fat fish. We changed to streamers on all 4 rods and had a pretty good day. Totals were 4 salmon, 2 rainbows, 2 lakers, and 4 smallies all on the same type streamer on top. Lost a real nice salmon at the boat. The big rainbow and one of the smallmouth were large enough for a catch and release pin. The Salmon that got away would have definitely been eligible also. 

Day 2 went to the same gate hoping for a repeat of the action from the day before. Fished with a friend this day. Same tactics in the same areas didnt work out so well. We managed 2 fish for the day. 1 decent smallmouth and 1 smallish laker. Tried other things though out the day but didnt have much luck.

Day 3 we decided to try a different gate. We went to gate 8 and the first thing we noticed was that they had some brand new rental boats. These are really nice compared to the older boats. They are 14 ft Marlon aluminum utility boats. Google it for a picture. Much more comfortable and ride better. Anyway this day was ok. We ended up with 4 salmon, a rainbow and a laker.

Day 4 back to gate 8. Fishing was extremely slow for us all day. 1 rainbow was all we caught. Will try again next weekend.

Edited by Colrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.