HL

RIO Discontinued their Out Bound Short

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hi all,

RIO discontinued my favorite Intermediate fly line - RIO OB Short 30' head - 425gr for a #10.

Successor is the Elite Predator at 32' and 410gr.

Herb

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just spoke to RIO Tech.

They don't consider it discontinued.

But no more "In Touch" running line.

Tip art of the head is clear.

Rear part of the head is "hover" instead of Inter.

New "slick" coating.

Same grain weight.

So - got mixed info from RIO - first someone said the Elite Predator is its successor - then not.

Happens when people are working from home.

Herb 

PS - I don't like the Quick Shooter's running line.

Edited by HL

Hover hmmm. Not a very positive sink rate. Much prefer an Intermediate.

A Line has to either float or sink. What does hover actually mean in reality.

Mike

13 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mike

It does but it doesn’t...

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mike

The Hover is a sinking line. Just a very very slow sinking rate. The purpose is to fish in the very top of the water column but have the line not impacted by wind or to create ripples on the water when retrieving. A floater suffers both of those issues. The Hover doesn't suffer either of those issues.

From Rio: “The Outbound Short we came out with one premier version that comes in six different density configurations.  Going to our premier core allowed us to make versions with clear sections for stealth. This comes with our new Slickcast coatings for better slickness, distance and more importantly durability.” 

According to rio website the main difference between intouch and premier is that intouch is a braided core, whereas premier is mono core.  

The 425 short is my go to 10wt intermediate also. I  have 1 nib spare so there's time to read the reviews when guys start fishing the new version. Hopefully the  running line is improved, any of my SA floating running lines are much better behaved. The full intermediate outbounds have as much memory as a spool of weed wacker cord...terrible!

Hey Rio flying down to Rio ....

I've actually been to Rio on business some years ago. Beautiful Place but deceiving. You'll find all the opulence of Miami hotels with the shot gun shacks of Favelas near by in the hill sides. Robbery of foreigners is a thing there.

But this is about fly lines.

Just today I was rocking the RIO Outbound Short / Clear head, yellow intermediate running line 6wt / 235 grains on my new Hardy Demon Switch 10'6" 4/5 fly rod. The combination makes for a Shad-Zooka. Caught some nice Hicks on it.

But they no longer make that fly line formula. They do make Rio Coastal QuickShooter XP and it casts a ton. As close to a Wulff Triangular Taper head as one could find ... with decent cold water intermediate performance. It only comes in "heavy" 8 - 10wt WFI fly line, however.

6074d438992db_CoastalQuickXP.jpg.4282f6dc28f4fe8829c8da9fee0123bc.jpg

My other new fave that emulates the Wulff head design ... is RIO Musky fly line in the  floating version. I'm rocketing a Sage Z Axis 8wt Switch rod using their 11wt / 450 grain Musky line. Great stuff.

intouch-pike-musky-flt.jpg.98a483daa29f8d81533509eafcc7c049.jpg