noahialongo

Albie Snax

11 posts in this topic

I know the effectiveness of albie snax with hardtails and stripers firsthand. I have heard of people using them in freshwater and was wondering if anybody could attest to that with their experiences with albie snax in freshwater.

I started a thread like this a couple of years ago. But the opposite. Why couldn’t senkos be used for schoolies? Especially white ones. 
A couple years later, I still haven’t tried to prove my theory. 
Have you tried yet? I guess in freshwater where I fish big pickerel would be the bluefish of sweet water and be shredding the Annie snax 

I am sure senkos would work fine for schoolies.  I started fishing 6"  sluggos in saltwater like 30 years ago, which were basically a freshwater large mouth bass bait at the time.  Some people thought I was nuts, but I caught a lot of fish on these.  The rainbow trout color was and is my favorite..

17 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

I started a thread like this a couple of years ago. But the opposite. Why couldn’t senkos be used for schoolies? Especially white ones. 
Have you tried yet? I guess in freshwater where I fish big pickerel would be the bluefish of sweet water and be shredding the Annie snax 

ill have to check out senkos one day when im on a hot schoolie bite

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, noahialongo said:

I know the effectiveness of albie snax with hardtails and stripers firsthand. I have heard of people using them in freshwater and was wondering if anybody could attest to that with their experiences with albie snax in freshwater.

Among other uses, I use these for stripers up in freshwater stretches of a local river (as they chase herring up river) and I'm always catching the incidental small and large mouth bass while I'm at it. However, I never took them out for a freshwater bass specific outing

Edited by albacized

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, noahialongo said:

this actually begs the question of whether you could catch albies on a senko lol, prob could if it was a day when they weren't picky

I've always used senkos wacky style when fishing for LMB...but I think if you rigged them up in the same weedless style you would an albie snax, it would probably work. I did buy some small senkos to test out on stripers during a worm hatch...but I usually get so wrapped up in fly fishing, I never try it

Edited by albacized

I fish Pine Island Sound in SW Florida.  We use 3" Baby Bass Senko style baits on the back of 1/8 oz. football jigs.  They catch everything, Snook, Reds, Trout, Name it.  I use cheap knockoffs because they last longer.

6 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I have used senkos for stripers they work 

Use them for specs they work

I tried albie snax last summer when fishing for bass on a medium-sized lake in Western MA. I had one albie in the bottom of my bait bag, and I wasn't having much luck with the smb, anyway, so figured, why not? It was one of the darker colors, maybe the smoke/silver, which I really like, so I rigged it up the way I always do. On the first cast I landed a hefty pickerel -- and then nothing for the next half hour. Nada. Zip. Not a nibble. I'm not sure if that little experiment proves that aggressive, non-discriminating freshwater feeders will go for an albie. But it sort of suggests they will. I guess.