Any 300-400 round bc reel users?

Rate this topic

RiverShoulders

I was just wondering how many of the tradition round reel anglers are using the round baitcasters?  Not meaning of the conventional surf casters like 525 mag, fathom etc. I am speaking of the round counter parts to the low pros like  Lexa HD, Tranx, Komodo in the 300-400 series Sizes.  Reels such as the  Calcutta Conquest, Ryoga, Luna etc.  

I  saw quite a few low pro baitcasters spiked at the surf and used from piers bridges and walls at canal and river outlets on my fishing trip to Florida a few weeks ago.  Still overwhelmingly spinners as expected.  On my Stradic FL 3k, I caught some nice slot red,  huge amount of sheepshead with a good nunber of the latter 20"+. Struck out on pompano; think I was a bit early. The typical amount of blues, whiting , ladyfish......and a stupid ungodly amount of sw catfish grrrr.  I know a number of people are running the lexa hd  from shore & boat.  Saw a Zillion TW HD on a boat inshore pulled in a huge bull Snook had to be 25lb+ from the look of it. Saw a Luna 300 as well as a couple of Calcuttas, which caught my attention.  Made me wonder if any on here were running the round bc. 

I am seriously considering a Calcutta Conquest in the 200 or 300 series as a dual role salt protected waters slot reds and striper, tautogs, trout,  flounder etc  inshore and fresh bass, pike, snakehead, catfish. 

So anyone, on here, using these round baitcast reels in the 300-400 range in saltwater; boat or shore?  Specifically Calcutta or Luna?  

Any thoughts or input on using them in these fishing scenarios?

Edited by RiverShoulders

Bigger round reels are a little more clunky in the hand and can make my hands/wrists a little sore after fishing with for a while with active cast/wind lures. Low pro reels are much more comfortable to fish with and have the same line capacity as round reels, which is why you see so many guys using them. This is not to say round reels are outdated or useless, it's just something you'll notice if you fish between both reels. 

The Luna is a great reel, for some reason not as popular as Calcutta even though it has some more premium features. I've never fished a Conquest, but then again I've never seen a bad review about them. Just out of my price range. I'd recommend a low profile reel for your purposes, but it really will just boil down to personal preference in the hands of the user and what features you want out of your reel. The Conquest has really impressive specs...

Baitcasters of any type are awesome in deeper, faster water to give you better depth and line control. Not sure if that's where you fish, but that's where I love to use them over spinning tackle. 

I think these reels can still offer versatility that makes them worth fishing. I use my small baitcasters for multiple uses, so having a clicker is something I appreciate.  I still mostly fish abu records. They are a higher end, discontinued round reel from Abu. I think the record 60 HC is one of the more versatile inshore reels ever made. It has a thumb bar to put the reel in free spool instead of a button or lever. The real benefit is that the thumb bar can be partially depressed to let line out with the reel still in gear. It's basically a flipping switch built into the main disengagement mechanism. Great reel for tending bottom for any number of applications. Casts well, has a clicker, line capacity for fishing deep. I use it from a pier or jetty for bait fishing, from a boat for fluke, blackfish, porgy or whatever light/medium inshore duties. I also still use a calcutta 200 for a lot of inshore fishing, particularly light tackle jigging.

I have two lexas and they are great, also have an accurate tern, maxel 20. Those reels are all great, but I wouldn't want to bait fish from shore with the lexas without a clicker, and I wouldn't want to cast the accurate and maxel for distance. The 300-400 size traditional round reels can cover a lot of bases. I don't have any comfort issues but that of course will be individual.

Edited by Crabcakes

213 fish species caught to date

I surf fish the floribama gulf with 2 lexa 300. I really enjoy using them,and they will stand up to any fish I can hook around here. One of them is starting to get a little grindy. makes me worry about the effects of constant  casting and winding of 3 to 5oz weights. I also use old abu garcia 5000 size reels. They seem to be a little more durable.

I have two Lunas which I use on occasion from both boat and shore.  Most of the time, I'm using the low-pro though.  Low-pros have taken off in popularity primarily due to comfort but they also put out greater drag pressure.  If you like the feel of a round baitcaster, there's no reason you shouldn't get one.  It would work well for inshore and larger freshwater species.

Wow well that explains it.  Thanks guys.  I was just really surprised to see so many baitcasters in SW especially  spiked soaking bait on my 10 day Fl fishing trip.  I am in VA and for SW fish from Delaware down thru the OBX.  FW   Va/WVa/Md  local lakes and Potomac, Shenandoah, and  Delaware rivers systems.

Yes part of my SW fishing is heavy current with some depth as well as shallower protected waters.

The one that really surprised me was a Daiwa Zillion.  I took a pic with my phone.  When I researched it and found it was an TW HD model so a 1520 spool or same size as the current Ryoga.  That's tech larger than the current 200 Calcutta Conquest.   It  also has brass gears and all alum side plates, mag sealed.  That to me seemed a real multi use reel for SW/FW especially with the large choices in spools and it being mag'd.  When I looked on YouTube I was surprised to see a number of vids using in Aus/NZ waters around reefs etc on some serious fish for its size.  They even brought up some tuna.

I have always had this bias of round reels regardless of size as being tougher and more durable.   But as more reports come in on these newer low pros over the last few yrs it seems to be they are handling tougher SW very well.  The conquests are basically the premium round reel  that the tranx were built from.  Same spool sizes, weight etc just a nicer compact profile of the low pro with less bearing etc than has to do with it being a notch down the line from the platinum reels.

I am not dead set on a round reel.  Just given the choice, if all things are equal, I like the look.  Something about that conventional old school style on the outside to be completely honest.....LOL silly I guess.

At this point, given the multi use goal of this,, as it will see as much FW as SW, if not a bit more, I have narrowed it to this group and in this order:

Zillion TW HD 1520 7.3:1 

Luna 253

Calcutta Conquest 200 (wish there was a 250 model)

Tranx 300

As much as I like the idea of the  Conquest I think the 200 is a tad small on line and is the most $$ by $100 street prices I can find.

The Zillion is the most compact and it has a huge following in that frame size of the tatula. Has brass gears. Shown it can take abuse from long term grinding use of large 6 oz swimbaits in FW as well as good size SW species.  

The Luna 253 seems to be the proven work horse in the round reel and over all.  Long history used in both FW/SW. Size is right in that Sweet spot.  Maybe a bit less premium than the Conquest/Ryoga 1520 but tough and good balance of tech..  Reason I knocked the Ryogas off the list is the Shraphels are too heavy and while the Ryoga 1520 would be ideal and the premium Daiwa choice it has some glaring weakness.  The way they changed the mag brake side plate and adjustment dail.  The Pluton it was based off had, IMO, the ideal design.  It had a very secure and proven screw-on side plate and a easy to tune mag dial ring that was easy to read and feel as well ascaudible adjustment.   The newer gen Ryoga 1516/1520 uses a flip/slide rotating side plate secured by a weak plastic tab.  The whole inner plate now rotates as the mag dial.  It's far less secure and already numerous reports from owners of side plate rocking and broken tabs. Given the way these companies drop support and phase out designs this an issue.  Not to mention if a side plate moves then water intrusion is highly possible.  Given SW use this all amounts to a fatal flaw.  I even considered the discontinued Pluton as spools from ryogas swap and it has a much better design. But it seems to have had issues with its level wind gears being plastic to plastic gears and tends to fail. Given its discontinued those parts will likely be an issue.

Think it's between the Zillion TW HD 1520 and Luna 253.  I am leaning toward the low pro as a better SW/FW choice.  May have to order both and fish them both and sell one after.

These are going on higher end rods.  For fw thinking a Megabass Orochi xx perfect pitch. SW not total sure but something with fast to mod-fast tip and a strong backbone 1/2 - 3 oz rating would be the sweet spot. The MB PP is also about ideal for standard inshore work as its specs are very close to my Star VPR Inshore MH/F 7'11" that is paired to my 3k Stradic FL.

I have always favored baitcasters and use my Lexa 400 often. I also have many older Abus that I love also.  One could argue that a size 400 round reel could be the most versatile reel in the world for “one reel to do all in fresh and saltwater “. I’m thinking about getting a couple Shimano Cardiff 400s. They have a bait clicker, only cost 130 bucks and get great reviews with musky guys and those throwing huge swim baits for bass. 

I have Conquest 400, Saltist 20 HC, Saltist 20 HA, Abu 6000s, Komodo's, Lexas, Curados and Tranx. 

They do make Komodos and Lexas with clickers so when you feel the urge to bait, you have the clicker option.

My favorite bait caster is the Saltist 20HC because it has the loudest clicker. Not the best casting though with lighter baits. My favorite caster are my Curados. Plan on selling my only Lexa and my 2 Tranx'. Every time I go in the closet, the Curados call to me. Lighter drag than the newer low pros, but I just like them better.

On the lexa with baitclicker; I was looking at the parts diagram, it looks like you could purchase the bait clicker model and then swap out the gears for the SS one's from the HD version.  You would not have the HD's alum side plate or larger brake adj knob.  But in terms of cranking strength I think they would be equal as they share the same frame, spool, brake, and drag systems.  They both run the utd drag and bearings are the same.  I could be missing something but, in doing that, I think the only concession made is the metal side plate and it's larger brake knob.  Does that seem right?

Calcutta te 400, tica Caiman 200,Tica le-200 striper special, Omoto Hubilee 666 and 777 are on my favorites list in the 400/7000 series size as well as the Shimano Cardiff 401 a, all are enjoyable to fish, reliable and smooth as silk.

My lexa HD's are a dream to fish with and are awesomely powerful pieces.

If I were going to fish deeper water off a boat it will be the lexas, I wouldn't use a Calcutta 400 even though it's capable,a 400 lexa hd is just much more powerful and I guess you could say has the incredible prowess to deal with anything that can be dished out on a deeper water boat situation.

HH 

Ps, I forgot to add in the little Shimano Cardiff 300a for back Bay fishing with light stuff, bombers, rubber and bucktail.

Because they work wonderfully and also sre silky smooth and very compact.

It's nice in a small hand and solid on a big hand.

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I often fish a Calcutta 300D on an 8 foot Loomis rod. I find it very versatile. Mostly I use it to cast plugs for stripers and blues from a boat but it works fairly well from the surf in some back bay spots and can also be used jigging.  I don't prefer it for bottom fishing with the rod that I have it on but it does a decent job and I've caught a fair amount of fluke on it. 

I really love it for casting to banks in the back bay from a skiff. They give such good control and accuracy. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:17 AM, RiverShoulders said:

I was just wondering how many of the tradition round reel anglers are using the round baitcasters?  Not meaning of the conventional surf casters like 525 mag, fathom etc. I am speaking of the round counter parts to the low pros like  Lexa HD, Tranx, Komodo in the 300-400 series Sizes.  Reels such as the  Calcutta Conquest, Ryoga, Luna etc.  

I  saw quite a few low pro baitcasters spiked at the surf and used from piers bridges and walls at canal and river outlets on my fishing trip to Florida a few weeks ago.  Still overwhelmingly spinners as expected.  On my Stradic FL 3k, I caught some nice slot red,  huge amount of sheepshead with a good nunber of the latter 20"+. Struck out on pompano; think I was a bit early. The typical amount of blues, whiting , ladyfish......and a stupid ungodly amount of sw catfish grrrr.  I know a number of people are running the lexa hd  from shore & boat.  Saw a Zillion TW HD on a boat inshore pulled in a huge bull Snook had to be 25lb+ from the look of it. Saw a Luna 300 as well as a couple of Calcuttas, which caught my attention.  Made me wonder if any on here were running the round bc. 

I am seriously considering a Calcutta Conquest in the 200 or 300 series as a dual role salt protected waters slot reds and striper, tautogs, trout,  flounder etc  inshore and fresh bass, pike, snakehead, catfish. 

So anyone, on here, using these round baitcast reels in the 300-400 range in saltwater; boat or shore?  Specifically Calcutta or Luna?  

Any thoughts or input on using them in these fishing scenarios?

I used the conquest 300 from the kayak at night. It will take the salt water abuse better then any low pro I have used. If you like to bounce around in lure weight and casting into the wind, you will appreciate the mag setting and ease of getting at the side brakes.  I liked the conquest so good I bought another one. If you have no need to fiddle with brakes all the time the Calcutta d can normally be found for cheaper. Brake access is still tough to get at.

I fish a Calcutta 201B on a 9ft Ugly Stik Elite Steelhead/Salmon rated 3/4-4oz (which is an absolute cannon for a 1-2oz jig or spoon I might add) for both fresh and saltwater in SWFL. I was between this and a Tranx 201XG, but if it was exclusively for salt I would have been comparing the 300's or 400's. My brain said the Tranx, my heart said the Calcutta. The Tranx on paper and probably in hand (although I've personally never used one) is superior. The entire idea behind the design of modern baitcast reels is that they're... modern. The Tranx is lighter, has better drag, is better sealed, more compact, and I prefer the higher retrieve rate for sending jigs, but the thing is I'm not disappointed in my choice. I didn't NEED a new reel either when I bought it, I just fell in love with the old school design of the Calcutta. It's freaking gorgeous, it's iconic, and they have a reputation for lasting decades. 

Onto the bad though, and there's really only 2 major things IMO and the first, which is the retrieve rate, is really just my preference. 27in per turn isn't bad, but can get a little daunting when you're sending jigs 90+yds, I would have much preferred the 36in per turn + the power handle. The second is a little more objective, which is the cage design. The more open design of a low pro is WAAAY easier to pull out a backlash vs the more caged design of the Calcutta. 

Can’t resist putting in my two cents. Swedish Abu 5000/6000’s out of the box are the greatest. Only mod is upgrading to Carbon Tex drags. I dumped all my Calcutta series the day I first discovered the Diawa Luna 300. Out of the box great casting qualities with its quick access drag blocks. Enjoyed the bit larger handle and knobs. Went on to literally catch hundreds and hundreds of migrantory Bass diamond jigging without ever having a single issue. Just fresh water rinse.