JasperKayak

Bunker kills

4 posts in this topic

The end of last season bunker kills were popping up along the south shore of Staten Island. I’m now seeing them this year, and quite a few. I was told a strain of bacteria is the culprit, has anyone heard anything more about this subject? 
On a happier note I hope everybody’s season is going well. They are definitely in my neck of water and looking healthy I might add . I am Usually in the Raritan on the radio ch. 71 or look for the guy fly fishing on a proangler I am the guy with him on the revo lol . Although I am acquiring a bit of an addiction to the fly-vise and fly rodding in the saltwater. Step one admitting you have a problem and cannot control it. I think being at the vice at 3:30am qualifies lol.

Entire Jersey side of the Raritan is covered with dead bunker. They say it happens every year, but I didn't hear that before. 

Just spent some time at a hospital on the Navesink because my son was born. The amount of dead bunker washing up with each tide was more than usual. It does happen regularly as the bunker go up river and run out of oxygen, but this is much more than usual. I have read some articles that mention a bacteria being the cause. There is also some info about run off from fertilizer, salt spray on roads, etc. causing some of the issue. 

Also watched some guys from the marina trying to clear the beach of all of the dead bunker. They worked for a few hours and had it clear. It lasted one tide before the beach was covered again. 

Different fish kills are attributed to different things but the most common is hypoxia caused eutrophication.

It’s a chain reaction that starts with excess nutrients and ends with dead fish. It goes something like this:

excess nutrients (fertilizer run off, wastewater overflow) > algae bloom > algae die off > bacteria consume the dead algae and oxygen > large schools of fish move into the area and quickly deplete the remaining oxygen > dead zone