smath

Patching waders with UV resin

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Is there any difference between the UV resins sold for wader repair, like Aquaseal, and the resins sold for fly tying? I have the Solarez Flex UV resin and wonder if that will work for small wader repairs. I've got some seams that are starting to crack and I'd like to patch them before I have major leakage.

Smath

My feelings are it’s horses for courses. The fly tying resin is likely to be too hard and this will put strain on the repair. Aquaseal is very good.If you can get the Cetol  accelerator the resin dries very quickly. Sometimes you can buy the two together in a blister pack.

mike

You should be fine with the Solarez Flex resin. I use it to coat my foam flies and it dries with a rubbery feel to it and there's no cracking when the soft foam flies are squeezed.  On the other hand, you can also use the Aquaseal for fly tying if you have any left over.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, Philly said:

You should be fine with the Solarez Flex resin. I use it to coat my foam flies and it dries with a rubbery feel to it and there's no cracking when the soft foam flies are squeezed.  On the other hand, you can also use the Aquaseal for fly tying if you have any left over.

Agree with Philly although a small tube of Aquaseal @ $6 or so, after the repair, should be stored in the freezer so it doesn't harden. But, it does, so when I need a second repair, I'm always disappointed in the spread of the Aquaseal when defrosted from the freezer. I've used Goop in the tube from big box stores, about $5 a large tube, which I also use for cementing my fly eyes successfully, & for practically everything else in the house needing cementing or repairs, on a wader repair and it has remained flexible, although shiny, but waterproof. Before I'll use the more expensive Solarez Flex resin mentioned by Philly, which I do use for fly tying,  first time out for repairs, I think I'd stick with my reputable tube of Goop which is a lot cheaper. Hope my suggestion will work for you guys.