Top soft plastic of all time, what gets your vote?

Rate this topic

codfish

14 hours ago, DAQ said:

For me, it would be Sluggo's. Sluggo's have produced everything from rainbow trout to tarpon and 150 lb bluefin for me. A lot of my biggest stripers have come on Sluggo's too. Zoom Flukes would definitely be in the conversation for me if they came in bigger sizes.

DAQ....what your favorite size sluggo?  I like the 6, 7.5 and the 9 inch versions myself.  I'm very, very surprised how the 6" model catches so well from fluke to 30 lb stripers :th:

3 hours ago, EarningStripes207 said:

the company that sells them also sells hooks called albi snax twist lock, I have used those along with other similar style hooks to rig them weedless and weightless. If you haven't tried them they are worth a shot.

How far out can you cast one of those..............in yards?

1 min ago, yogiiiboy said:

How far out can you cast one of those..............in yards?

let me get back to you on that, no stripers in midcoast Maine yet but I'm due for some casting practice later today. If I had to give a conservative guess I break 40 yards with a good cast. Later today I will cast at some structure and use the google earth measuring tool to give you a better answer. I can confidently say it casts better than any other weightless soft plasticine used.

2 mins ago, EarningStripes207 said:

let me get back to you on that, no stripers in midcoast Maine yet but I'm due for some casting practice later today. If I had to give a conservative guess I break 40 yards with a good cast. Later today I will cast at some structure and use the google earth measuring tool to give you a better answer. I can confidently say it casts better than any other weightless soft plasticine used.

Do Albies come in that close?  Albie Snax are a highly touted lure for Ablies, obviously.......just wondering how far these things can go versus how close the Albies come in..........

Ok thanks.........

44 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Do Albies come in that close?  Albie Snax are a highly touted lure for Ablies, obviously.......just wondering how far these things can go versus how close the Albies come in..........

Ok thanks.........

I have never fished for false albacore, if I was I think the smaller size plastic would fit the bill. I use the large version, about nine inches, for stripers in relatively calm water. Without ever fishing for albies I would bet that they do come within 40 yards. Maybe albie guys use them more often from a boat to make up for having less casting distance than something metal. 

55 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Ok thanks.........

Sometimes they are too close to cast to, especially on jetties. 

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

1 hour ago, yogiiiboy said:

Ok thanks.........

Hi Yogi, 

Certain rods will zing a Sluggo way further than you might expect. Just match your rod's sweet spot up with the overall weight of your offering. My all time favorite sluggo is the 9" White Double-Rigged. A 9' Sluggo weighs 1.2 oz where as the 7.5" variety is 3/4 oz. Meanwhile, an Albie Snax is 1/2 oz so not all rods are going to throw this variety equally the same. 

Distance will be best obviously if the rod in question handles the weight range & really loads. Most longer surf rods don't cast any of these offerings well. My 8 1/2' Lammy 2 piece Ron Aara launches the heck out of a 7.5" Sluggo & it throws the 9" really well also. I've had days with no wind on the Canal where I've been able to huck a 9" Sluggo 75 yards & with wind at my back, even further. 

The Double Rigged Sluggo out-swims any "off-set worm hook" rigging styles by a mile because it's more flexible. The little screw on jig heads or weighted short shank grip hooks are also terrific for making a Sluggo come to life while also adding a little extra weight & because of this, I'd recommend if you know the sweet spot of your rod, just use the screw on Jig Heads to add the desired amount of extra weight you might need to help whatever rod you'll be using load optimally. 

When I'm fishing the longer Sling Shots, 10 1/2' or 12 1/2' I tend to use the 1/2 oz Hogy "Deep Darter" Jig Head. That brings my payload to 1.7 oz which is dynamite for extra casting distance.

607893a854fa1_Screenshot2021-04-153_25_42PM.png.07056845f0d0ada1a35a09f2d43e6e35.png

You can also use a Hogy Grip Hook which is 3/8 oz, though I don't like these as much because they can mangle the front of a Sluggo easily, so you have to be good at putting them on. They do work well with the 9" Sluggo's because they're a little more stable. 

6078941ba8e39_Screenshot2021-04-153_19_14PM.png.04c329ec05728e2a47f0447866b1481c.png

Usually, if I'm throwing 7 1/2" Sluggos I'm doing so unweighted & therefore I'm using Owner 7/0 Offset Worm Hooks. The general rule of thumb is, if your hook barb penetrates the Sluggo's ribs then your hook is too big. You want to be on the front portion of the bait so that you'll have better action. In this case I'll use the Lammy as the 3/4 oz weight SAILS off that rod. It will also chuck an Albie Snax lure pretty nicely. 

Regarding the Albie Snax, if you want to huck them on a longer surf rod that has a heavier rating, simply add the Wiggle Head Jig Head they sell, it comes in at 1 oz which brings your offering up to 1 1/2 oz, which loads nicely on a Slingshot or other similar surf rod. 

607896259b74e_Screenshot2021-04-153_37_47PM.png.ac1dc8d81d58a605af0d69d53b0d09f1.png

In short, the best way to be able to cast lighter soft-plastics far is to carry a few jig-heads in a small terminal tackle wallet, where you keep your other Duo-Locks, Swivels, Clips..etc. Or, you can stash them right with your soft plastics. 

With most Surf Rods, you want to be able to absolutely sling 3/4 to 2 oz.

Edited by CaryGreene

36 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Hi Yogi, 

Certain rods will zing a Sluggo way further than you might expect. Just match your rod's sweet spot up with the overall weight of your offering. My all time favorite sluggo is the 9" White Double-Rigged. A 9' Sluggo weighs 1.2 oz where as the 7.5" variety is 3/4 oz. Meanwhile, an Albie Snax is 1/2 oz so not all rods are going to throw this variety equally the same. 

Distance will be best obviously if the rod in question handles the weight range & really loads. Most longer surf rods don't cast any of these offerings well. My 8 1/2' Lammy 2 piece Ron Aara launches the heck out of a 7.5" Sluggo & it throws the 9" really well also. I've had days with no wind on the Canal where I've been able to huck a 9" Sluggo 75 yards & with wind at my back, even further. 

The Double Rigged Sluggo out-swims any "off-set worm hook" rigging styles by a mile because it's more flexible. The little screw on jig heads or weighted short shank grip hooks are also terrific for making a Sluggo come to life while also adding a little extra weight & because of this, I'd recommend if you know the sweet spot of your rod, just use the screw on Jig Heads to add the desired amount of extra weight you might need to help whatever rod you'll be using load optimally. 

When I'm fishing the longer Sling Shots, 10 1/2' or 12 1/2' I tend to use the 1/2 oz Hogy "Deep Darter" Jig Head. That brings my payload to 1.7 oz which is dynamite for extra casting distance.

607893a854fa1_Screenshot2021-04-153_25_42PM.png.07056845f0d0ada1a35a09f2d43e6e35.png

You can also use a Hogy Grip Hook which is 3/8 oz, though I don't like these as much because they can mangle the front of a Sluggo easily, so you have to be good at putting them on. They do work well with the 9" Sluggo's because they're a little more stable. 

6078941ba8e39_Screenshot2021-04-153_19_14PM.png.04c329ec05728e2a47f0447866b1481c.png

Usually, if I'm throwing 7 1/2" Sluggos I'm doing so unweighted & therefore I'm using Owner 7/0 Offset Worm Hooks. The general rule of thumb is, if your hook barb penetrates the Sluggo's ribs then your hook is too big. You want to be on the front portion of the bait so that you'll have better action. In this case I'll use the Lammy as the 3/4 oz weight SAILS off that rod. It will also chuck an Albie Snax lure pretty nicely. 

Regarding the Albie Snax, if you want to huck them on a longer surf rod that has a heavier rating, simply add the Wiggle Head Jig Head they sell, it comes in at 1 oz which brings your offering up to 1 1/2 oz, which loads nicely on a Slingshot or other similar surf rod. 

607896259b74e_Screenshot2021-04-153_37_47PM.png.ac1dc8d81d58a605af0d69d53b0d09f1.png

In short, the best way to be able to cast lighter soft-plastics far is to carry a few jig-heads in a small terminal tackle wallet, where you keep your other Duo-Locks, Swivels, Clips..etc. Or, you can stash them right with your soft plastics. 

With most Surf Rods, you want to be able to absolutely sling 3/4 to 2 oz.

Hey Cary...thanks again for the detailed an informative response brother.  The ironic part of your reply though, is i've got my sluggo rods down pact......and the Arra 1083 for me LOVES the 7.5 and 9" versions to the T !!  Of course they get set up differently to compensate for their unrigged weights....but i do use the Hogy 1/4 oz. gripped hooks on the 9" while using a 1/2 oz. weighted short shank hook for the 7.5".  The smaller 6" uses an Owner Heavy Gorilla hook all day with my 7'6" Avid Inshore and that has got to be the best time i have with fishing sluggos.  It feels really good using that combination in the summer chasing fluke and blues in the surf.

But my real question and inquiry was obviously concerning the Albie Snax.  I guess i wasn't really questioning if they had the capability for distance as opposed to the target species'  aptness for coming within 100 yards of the shoreline.  But ..... i am realizing that i'm posing this question to many fisherman who fish the LI, NE, Cape beaches as opposed to the Southern New Jersey shoreline that doesn't seem to offer as much as those from up North.  Nevertheless, i'll bet because of the shape and weight of the Albie Snax, those things fire off like a rocket with the right set up.  Obviously, for one to optimize distance with soft plastics, the method you so eloquently mentioned above HAS to be followed or you're not getting its' full potential.

:th:

5 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

DAQ....what your favorite size sluggo?  I like the 6, 7.5 and the 9 inch versions myself.  I'm very, very surprised how the 6" model catches so well from fluke to 30 lb stripers :th:

YB,

I mostly use the same size Sluggo's as you. Throughout a season and across many species I would say a 6” Sluggo will produce more fish for me than any other size.

For stripers; 6, 7.5, and 9”ers all get a lot of time and fish.  If I am deep jigging rips and rivers, I will use a 7.5 or 9” depending on current speed. If I am throwing around boulders and other structure, I like the 7.5”. If I am fishing shallower inlets and rivers with mostly smaller bait it will be the 6”.

For some reason I am not a fan of the 4 and 4.5, and I rarely use the 12". I use the 3" for steelhead and browns. I also occasionally use the 3" off of a casting egg for albies. 

Embrace American Privilege

I give it up to Storm Shad's. If I remember right it was 94-95 time frame Wally World was priced at 2.96 for qty 5-6 4" and was adjusted right down to qty 2 6" for 2.96. Tie it on and go catch SB all day and all night. 
I would hit wally and grab the entire box of 10. Quantum combo and gorilla braid. Didn't have too much money to spend back then on fishing gear but I was rich on Bass.

042328D7-9477-42CF-B78A-8339AE78EEDF.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

On 4/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, yogiiiboy said:

Ok thanks.........

When the bait is in tight to the beach or jetty (think peanut bunker or sand eels),I’ve had albies blow upon epoxy jigs on the last crank or two before the water’s edge. That said, I try to have a set-up in hand that let’s me cover a wide range of distances  with a soft plastic given how quickly albies move. (Only a few more months ‘til hard tail season - can’t wait!)