Hookedup2640

Daiwa Ballistic Surf Guides

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Can anyone advise the specific FUJI Guides used on the Ballistic Surf Rod? Does anyone know the seven ring sizes from the first collecting ring to the tip ring. 

I would like to use this set up on a 12'8" blank.

Thanks so much

Hooked up

47 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Can anyone advise the specific FUJI Guides used on the Ballistic Surf Rod? Does anyone know the seven ring sizes from the first collecting ring to the tip ring. 

I would like to use this set up on a 12'8" blank.

Thanks so much

Hooked up

This is literally all the stuff that comes attached to the rod it doesn’t say much about the guides and definitely doesn’t say anything about the guide sizes.

but I just bought one so if you tell me how to get you an aproximate measurement. I’ll do it for you. 

3A3F4CC2-9D8C-4361-8D48-F116861F6B85.jpeg

Thanks for responding. I believe the first three guides are 25 (or 20) 16, 12. I believe these are "New Concept RV guides. I am not so sure about the remaining 3 and the tip. It seems the RV guides are scarce with Alconite rings. The SIC guides are too pricey for the blank I will build. 

3 hours ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Thanks for responding. I believe the first three guides are 25 (or 20) 16, 12. I believe these are "New Concept RV guides. I am not so sure about the remaining 3 and the tip. It seems the RV guides are scarce with Alconite rings. The SIC guides are too pricey for the blank I will build. 

I have the 11 footer....they're Alconite or lower low riders.

And the layout sorta sucks.....

Lots of flutter and even some line slap with some reels.

If the joint didn't slip and rotate needing replacement I'd have already re wrapped it.

It's acceptable only because I can throw a baitcaster on it.

But it's not ideal for spinning.   I'd slap a 25 K frame about a foot further out and knock it down quick and I guarantee it'll cast further with less effort.

Great blank.....meh layout...

ANd theh reel seat should be reversed for spinning....NObody wants to grip the lock nut and hard edged thread gap 

Poorly designed rod for 500+$

Fishes well though.

2 hours ago, Callmefish said:

Could you identify them by photo? I could take some closeup shots of all the upper guides and they rodtip

which one did ya get?

17 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

which one did ya get?

Same one as yours, haven’t had a need to fish with it yet so it’s just been sitting around waiting on a vr201 to show up in the mail. Not really planning on fishing it until later in the season.

right now i’m fishing with my dark matter open beach and a saltx 6000/ gosa swa 5000

54 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

which one did ya get?

Cmon, dig it out - still wanting to know how close they put the stripper to the reel seat

On 4/11/2021 at 2:08 AM, ZAFisher said:

Cmon, dig it out - still wanting to know how close they put the stripper to the reel seat

I've been fishing it.  It's in my car now unfortunately its dropped off getting new shoes. 

I'll measure it at the office wed/Thursday 

You can tell the guide layout is restrictive when you're using 30lb braid and you can feel the weight in the tip as the lure is flying. 

The 11 tiralejo doesn't give that sort of feedback. 

On 4/11/2021 at 1:32 AM, Callmefish said:

Same one as yours, haven’t had a need to fish with it yet so it’s just been sitting around waiting on a vr201 to show up in the mail. Not really planning on fishing it until later in the season.

right now i’m fishing with my dark matter open beach and a saltx 6000/ gosa swa 5000

Copy cat :)

FYI it likes 1.5 oz just fine.. Even 1 oz 

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Copy cat :)

FYI it likes 1.5 oz just fine.. Even 1 oz 

You showed it too me, me not fishing has more to do with how early in the season it is but I’m probably going to break it out this weekend. It’s kind of cumbersome to pack in my very small suv withvthe size of fish and the ammount I have been bringing in the smaller rod has been doing fine. 

I’m really excited to throw it though.

8 hours ago, Callmefish said:

You showed it too me, me not fishing has more to do with how early in the season it is but I’m probably going to break it out this weekend. It’s kind of cumbersome to pack in my very small suv withvthe size of fish and the ammount I have been bringing in the smaller rod has been doing fine. 

I’m really excited to throw it though.

Lolol. 

Just remember.. It's super light weight, a pretty fast action and long.. 

So even little fish will give a good account of themselves :)

The blank I'm building is 12'8", rated at 4 to 8 oz. I managed to locate a full set of Fuji KW guides at anglers workshop.com. They were the only source I found that had a full array of the sizes and model I was looking for. Thanks to all who responded. 

Hooked Up

On 4/13/2021 at 6:14 AM, scoobydoo said:

Lolol. 

Just remember.. It's super light weight, a pretty fast action and long.. 

So even little fish will give a good account of themselves :)

I took that monster of a rod out today, felt like fishing with a broomstick for me. But it’s a bloody cannon. Didn’t feel much twist either but I was throwing light gear