Spinfisher V 4500

delaware surfman

Good morning, I pulled out my spinfisher v 4500 for the first time of the season. 
It needs attention. It needs gone through as it is very hard to reel. I should have done this over the Winter I know. 
I have looked through the schematic and several tear down tutorials. 
My question is this: When I reel the handle it is very hard to get started and turns with obvious grinding, dry sounding noise. 
But if I spin the rotor with my finger it spins freely, super easy, with not a hint of grinding or dryness. 
Why is this? 
Im thinking the load and torque of the handle and the bearings are bad, any thoughts or suggestions? 
Thank you, John 

Delaware Mobile Surffisherman #2062
North Carolina Beach Buggy ASSN # 12382

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Is this with or without the handle screwed in?

It is with the handle screwed in that the rotor spins free and easy and no grinding when I spin the rotor with my finger, seems perfectly fine when I do it like that. When spinning the handle it is very hard to start it and then hard and grinding, 

Spinning the rotor uses a smaller gear to turn the larger main gear/handle, which relatively is easy, whereas turning the handle is the opposite, and could result in more apparent friction. Just something to consider.

I had this same model a few years back, and something was never aligned right from the get go and felt tight when cranking. By the time I cracked it open, it had eaten its own gears up.

1 hour ago, Poisson Idea said:

Spinning the rotor uses a smaller gear to turn the larger main gear/handle, which relatively is easy, whereas turning the handle is the opposite, and could result in more apparent friction. Just something to consider.

I had this same model a few years back, and something was never aligned right from the get go and felt tight when cranking. By the time I cracked it open, it had eaten its own gears up.

Thanks, this one never seemed quite right either from the start 5-6 years ago, 

Sounds like the reel could use a cleaning and greasing. If you take it apart, check the main gear and pinion for wear and chipped teeth. Also when cleaning, keep an eye out for metal chips or shavings stuck in the old grease. Pull the side plate bearings and give em a spin. If they seem ok, give them a soaking with some reel oil. Hope this helps.

Ok, so I pulled the side cover. Nothing seemed out of whack at first glance. No water intrusion or milky grease. 
The outside bearing that comes off with  the cover looked and sounded good. 
Here’s where I think the problem lies but I’m unsure why as nothing glaring jumps out at me. 
At the top and bottom of the stroke it gets bound up. No teeth are missing from the bottom gear that stayed in place, it did seem a little loose not crazy. 
what I think is the traverse block, the silver one with the 2 screws, with the v slot in it seemed loose as well, not much, but both of them loose might cause the binding, 

as I said, this reel never seemed right when I bought it new, 

This picture show the binding location and it also happens at the very bottom opposite end. the middle is smooth. The silver block with the 2 screws is tight. 
Any thoughts? Thanks, John 

1A5EF19A-0570-4E1C-B12B-A6F6857DB6FA.jpeg

Edited by delaware surfman

Ok, its good to hear that the main gear and and the crosswind gear are in good shape. the only other thing I would check as far as the handle side goes, would be to make sure the drive gear shim washer is there. It sits on top of the main gear, between the main gear and the bearing. To me, the problem you described, sounds like the gears are not properly engaging with each other. The next thing I would check is the pinion gear. Pull that out, and once again check for chips and wear. It was hard to tell from the picture, but I see some brightness in the brass underneath the grease. This may indicate wear. The next thing would be to ensure that all the parts that hold the pinion gear in place are there, particularly the shim that sits in there.

Hello Delaware Surfman,

If you can turn the rotor and not the handle it's usually a sign the pinion bearings are seized.  The dry sounding noise when turning the handle is also a sign the bearings need replacing.  Could also be a noisy clutch but hard to determine without feeling the reel.

Thanks for the photo.  I don't see anything mechanically amiss.  The grease does look old and that's a sign the reel needs a full service.  

Jim

Thank you Jim, I’ll do a full tear down and look over the schematic to ensure all parts are there. 
I bought this reel new and it’s never been opened, thinking bearing issues. It was fine when I put it away last fall and has issues this spring, thanks everyone, 

If you can’t get it right I’d send it to Penn. I had a 4500v that got a little rough after several years of hard use. I sent it in 2 years ago and asked them to make it smooth as new . I got back a reel that felt like new. From the bag of used parts they sent back it seems they replaced damn near everything in the gearbox. Costs about $60. I think a good deal since if I would have bought all the parts they replaced it would have cost almost as much. After 2 years of year around fishing a couple days every week still feels like new.