scoobydoo

Anyone get Lasik?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Getting both eyeballs iLasik'ed next friday.

I did some research, seems to be the latest advancement in the tech.

Anyone have any horror stories or care to share recovery times and or long term short term issues if any?

good luck!  I've considered it but I decided to hold out and see if the technology improves.  Definitely didn't read a few horror stories and spook myself out of it, no way!

got PRK done about 14 years ago. Similiar to lasik in that both requires cutting flap into cornea and reshaping it.

Made sure I had a doctor who could do it in his sleep and paid 3k for it when PRK/Lasik was being advertised for for $800.

Experienced dry eyes and glare for awhile. Still have issues with glare (similiar to wearing glasses) when driving at night, but no other major issues.

Don't understand all the details but I thought there was somewhat of trade of in the Lasik surgery of near vision for far vision.  I was not in the trading business with my eyes so I did not go that way.

I have always had good far vision.  I am an older person and my eye doctor noted that some time in the future I would have to deal with a cataract issue.  I have needed reading glasses since I was 45 and that has been one big FPINA. He said that I could eliminate my reading glasses and retain my far vision with a lenses implant to deal with a cataract surgery. The additional reading lenses cost me about $2,200 per eye, and I had the surgery done in both eyes about two years ago. There are no more reading glasses for anything and my far vision to 20/15.  It is like a new life without the FPINA reading glasses.  Other than the out of pocket money, there was no trade off here. The benefits and change in life look for the FRG, is a no issue.

Don't know what the qualifications are for one to qualify for this surgery, but it is worth the investigation. Not needing reading glasses fishing or on the boat is truly been a new life for me (forget about the cell phone, computer, and all the other reading BS).

Good luck in what ever you decide, but trading near and far vision was never an option for me, for it it does not go well, as it can and has, you are at a huge loss (I always felt that, the devil you know, is better than dealing with the devil you don't know)..

Had the corrective lens cataract surgery in one eye 5yrs ago. Threw away the glasses the next day and never looked back. 62 now and people can't believe I can read small print without glasses. The other eye was fine and when I inquired my doctor recommended against Lasik to clean up that one, forget why he panned it though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had it done about 20 years ago. Very happy with the results.

I was very near sighted, 20/400. And big astigmatism. My glasses were very thick, couldn't see without them.

It took a few weeks for my vision to settle in from about 20/40 to about 20/25. That's as good as it was going to get without an enhancement due to the large amount of correction needed.

Had slight halos around bright lights for a few months, nothing too bad.

Now at almost 60 years old I'm at 20/50 and still very happy I had the procedure.

Edited by tcarroll

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Getting both eyeballs iLasik'ed next friday.

I did some research, seems to be the latest advancement in the tech.

Anyone have any horror stories or care to share recovery times and or long term short term issues if any?

Yes, an ex had an extremely negative result done at a very well respected Nassau county location resulting in a permanent need to wear specially designed contact lenses for life as well as a financial settlement. 

Not LASIK but I get hemorrhages in my right eye. Doc uses Lazer to cauterize the open blood vessels. Very painful and I still have a haze around the perimeter of my eye. No choice otherwise I would be blind in this eye.

My daughter went to the best, Dr. Dello Russo, and still raves about the results. If your older you’ll probably need reading glasses post surgery. Good luck with your peepers :ph34r:

Got Lasik about 25 years ago - great result.    Had my right eye tweaked a year or so ago (maybe two) and had to have it PRK'd as no reputable Doc will follow Lasik with Lasik.  Wish I hadn't: a LOT of pain (to this day occasionally); dry eye; real bitch of a time healing; and NO difference - at all - once everything was done.  Doc pitched me pulling my lens and putting in a lens like L-Train but the thought of them yanking a lens out and stuffing something in there freaked me out. Wish now that I had done it.  Still can do it later-on if I start to develop cataracts and that is the only reason I went ahead with the procedure I did.  

Your call - but LASIK was - by far - the easier procedure and immediate results.  

I wasn't a candidate for lasik but my understanding it may need to be repeated after 7 yrs or so, also may need readers. My cataracts became bad enough that I had them done. I was given a choice medicare for either near sighted or farsighted or for $5000 get lenses that covered both. Well worth the money while side effects sensitive to bright light and blurry with fatigue are minor issues. 

Had my eyes done 6 years ago.  About to turn 45 and now need a 1x reader for close up stuff.  Regular vision is great and was worth it for me to be rid of glasses and contacts.  I do have halos night driving which pisses me off but I've found that a a pair of blue blockers pretty much eliminate them.  So I've started keeping a pair in the console.