NJTramcar

Lets talk portable air pumps

36 posts in this topic

I like the price so I looked and see just one review on their site.

Ebay has 4 reviews stating similar, it over heats.

Submitted 1 year ago

I have to say I'm very disappointed in this product and would not recommend it to any of my friends. I own a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 35s mounted. We use it on weekends to drive out on the beach. You have to deflate your tires to around 20lbs from 37lbs each time and inflate them back to 37lbs when leaving. I had purchased the Slimline Pro Power Tire Inflator a little over a year ago to inflate the tires. It worked flawlessly except it would take us about 30 mintues to inflate the tires. I researched getting a new inflator and found the Pro-Series Duty Inflator as the rating was 2.5 CFM vs the Pro Power at 1.5 CFM. My thinking was it would cut my inflation time in half...seemed to reason. However, the Pro-Series Duty Inflator apparently has an overheating protection circuit which in my case cuts out after 2 to 4 minutes of use. According to the manual, you have to wait 10 minutes before use again. The result...it took me almost an hour to get my tires inflated with the Pro-Series Duty Inflator vs the half the price Pro Power Inflator. Needless to say, I am VERY disappointed in this product.

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend to a friend

Edited by NJTramcar

I've bought the Harbor Fright Pittsburgh air pump for $10, bought the extended warranty for another $10, someone let the air out of my grandson's Honda Accord tires, (angry girlfriend?), took about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes per tire, it was a little warm when we were done, but it did the job, I had the engine running the whole time we were airing up. 

Got a Viair 88P for $70 off the Bezo’s Hellhole, this thing is pretty sweet. Monkied around airing up and down this evening and it’s a lot quicker than I thought it’d be. My only wish is that the hose detached from the unit for storage. 

If I ever had cause to go back to a portable Air Compressor, hands down I would choose the VIAIR 400P Automatic Portable Air Compressor - I blew out the seals on an MV50, back when I had my 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport Edition, because the tire valve quick connect was not properly seated and popped off.

I have had my current configuration - two 325c's and a 2.5 gallon tank since late 12/8/2009, so I cannot say enough about the VIAIR product reliability, which was further advanced when their compressors were made IP67 compliant in 2011.

Hi Everyone - fairly new to this and never drove on Wildwood beaches (used to go to Montauk). I know that this would be a bulky solution but any reason why people don't use it? I use it at home to fill tires as needed: *

6 gallon oil free Porter Cable pancake compressor 

I have a 2021 Toyota 4 Runner ORP that comes with a standard AC outlet so I could just plug it in when it needs a refill, but it holds a lot of air if you prefilled it. 

JIm

Edited by TimS
link removed - we don’t allow links to commercial sites here :-)

The pancake compressor that you are looking at pulls 1200watts (10amps X 120volts) I have a 2016 Toyota 4-Runner Trail Edition, and the OEM invertor is good for 400watts with the engine running and 100watts with it off.  In order to run a 1200 watt compressor, you need a 1500 watt invertor, because you need to account for invertor efficiency, which is accepted at 85% as a standard (so 1200 watts/.85 = 1411 watts). 

I would not recommend clamping this high of a wattage invertor to the posts of your only battery - watts = power = heat which risks melting the solder that bonds your posts to the battery's lead plates. 

Also, your stock battery is not a deep discharge/start dual function battery, so you will take a bite out of its life, because you are drawing 141amps for each hour that you run the compressor.. Since you have a standard lead acid battery, you do not want to run it down past 80% of its total charge.  So to run your compressor for one hour, you need 141Amp Hours/0.80 = 176AH.  Even if it only takes 15 minutes to pump up all 4 tires, you need a battery rated for 176/4 = 44AH, and at the end of your session, you have only 80% capacity in your battery.  You likely have the same 160amp alternator that I have.

I have an Opitima Yellow Top Group 35 Battery as my primary battery - it has a 48Ah capacity, I tend to doubt that your stock battery has the same AMP Hour rating. My secondary battery is a Odyssey Extreme PC1200MJT, which has 42 Ah capacity, and fits between the firewall and the Air Filter housing on the right side.  Although i have a 1000W Modified Sine Wave Inverter mounted on the right rear interior wheel well, It was a very costly and labor intensive install that uses a manufacturer recommended 150Amp breaker at the battery and approximately 25 feet of #1AWG battery cable.  The same installation on your truck, to run the pancake compressor, would require a 200amp Breaker and approximately 25 feet each of positive and ground 2/0 AWG battery cable.

Much cheaper to use a VIAIR 400P.

DC wire selection chart.jpg

0616210110.jpg

0616210109.jpg