nickd9283

Most durable surf rods??

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I’m not talking ugly sticks and penn prevails, I’m talking good quality blanks like Lami, Black Hole, ODM, etc.

my gsb might need replacing soon and Even though I may just get another one.. I’m curious what else i should look at considering I haven’t shopped in about 4-5 years and see that the amount of rods available has almost tripled since then.

I fish very rocky areas so I’m looking for the utmost durability without going into a heavy fiberglass blank. I, like most of you, fish a few hours at a time so I’d like it be as light as possible WITHOUT sacrificing durability.. so I’m not looking for just the flat out lightest rod there is.

lures I throw are almost ALWAYS between 1-3.5oz with 2-2.5 being the majority of them.

I also don’t need a rod that casts a mile.. 90% of my fish come within 30-40 yards of shore so distance isn’t a top priority.

1.) durability

2.) weight

3.) sensitivity

what rod would you reach for if that was the order of important traits?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I highly recommend Black Hole Cape Cod Nano rod/blank.

They are not graphite and you can use them safely on rocks.

They are Nano rods. They flex a lot like glass rods, but they are much lighter and sensitive. 

They are one of the strongest rods in the market, if not the strongest.

Edited by ksong

17 hours ago, nickd9283 said:

I’m not talking ugly sticks and penn prevails, I’m talking good quality blanks like Lami, Black Hole, ODM, etc.

my gsb might need replacing soon and Even though I may just get another one.. I’m curious what else i should look at considering I haven’t shopped in about 4-5 years and see that the amount of rods available has almost tripled since then.

I fish very rocky areas so I’m looking for the utmost durability without going into a heavy fiberglass blank. I, like most of you, fish a few hours at a time so I’d like it be as light as possible WITHOUT sacrificing durability.. so I’m not looking for just the flat out lightest rod there is.

lures I throw are almost ALWAYS between 1-3.5oz with 2-2.5 being the majority of them.

I also don’t need a rod that casts a mile.. 90% of my fish come within 30-40 yards of shore so distance isn’t a top priority.

1.) durability

2.) weight

3.) sensitivity

what rod would you reach for if that was the order of important traits?

Century Kevlar NorEaster. They were designed for the rocks. About as bomb proof as you're going to find.

They come in 8', 9', 10' and 11'.

Great sensitivity too and always nice to have distance in your back pocket when you need it.

You skipped over a host of very good quality rods that will run you far less than the high end stuff. Choose what makes you happy but you are not giving the mid range stuff a fair shake. Some really are excellent rods. Daiwa for one makes one hell of a stick. Tsunami Elite is also a longtime favorite of mine. There are quite a few more.

I'm still fishing the first GSB1201M that I built in 1992!  I'm a big guy so its taken a lot of abuse being my rock hopper / wading stick. It's 2" shorter due to a car door (my fault) and I've replaced the guides twice.  Before I built anything else I built a second 1M as a back up.  Its been hanging in the garage collecting dust for 28 years...  IMHO its the toughest graphite blank ever made.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, SBASS1 said:

I'm still fishing the first GSB1201M that I built in 1992!  

You just answered OP’s question.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

11 mins ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

You just answered OP’s question.

Try to find a real old school gsb I feel like the newer ones aren't as durable.. but id still go with the new gsb blanks over anything else.. and if u want your new rod to be slightly diff jus change the guide layout 

3 hours ago, SBASS1 said:

I'm still fishing the first GSB1201M that I built in 1992!  

What else is there to say, 3 decades of abuse and still going.

The GSB is midrange priced compared to Century, CTS, and ODM.