NHAngler

2021 Access

12 posts in this topic

Hopefully, the pandemic is coming to a close. This will still take a while and I'm sure the media will set any related stories on fire every chance they get and towns that have placed "temporary" restrictions will key in on any status they can take advantage of. During this past year, many towns have seen such a surge in tourists from other towns that have terrain for hiking, access to water, or other recreational activities they are likely going to stretch out limiting access as far as they can. While there have always been mini surges of people, it's never been like what was seen last year. The demand still seems to be high and it will be interesting to see what towns and locations are going to open up vs. continue to play the covid card. 

Part of the big appeal to kayak fishing has always been that you can launch anywhere... that seems to be changing. 

I share your concerns. The needle is pointed in the wrong direction as far as access goes. My best advice is to bitch and moan to the state. Moneys from MA saltwater licenses are largely supposed to be used for maintaining and increasing access. They have miserably failed thus far. They spent over a million to build a fish pier on one of the cape islands while many of my favorite spots I’ve frequented over the last two decades have been locked up

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found that if I was getting out early (~4:30-5:30), which is when I would usually want to be out anyways, I didn't have too much trouble with access. Of course, that's for places with 24/7 parking and access. I didn't even try any state park-type launches, and I pretty much wrote off trying to get out in the middle of the day. Evenings were hit or miss but usually I could find a spot at my normal launches. I had to avoid one area completely - what a ****-show with all the boat traffic. Hoping it's a little better this summer. 

Edit: I guess the OP was more about the towns limiting access. Luckily I didn't run into that too much, other than 1a in NH being shut down. 

Edited by drmevo

There was a news article this week related to the vaccine roll outs and expected tourism.

Seems that with more and more people getting fully vaccinated lots of places /states are looking for a surge of tourist and tourist $$ this year.

Hopefully the topic of actual access for the water-bound segment of tourist won't get lost in the shuffle?

Tourism is certainly counted on. However, it can be taxing for a town to manage when it becomes problematic. Not to mention those that own property in these places becoming less tolerant of what seems like bull racing style of tourism - especially if it has changed in the past year. Then the towns deal with taxpayer vs tourist. Who to listen to? Keep in mind elected positions that govern towns and states are not bankers or investors (maybe some have this background) and are not elected by tourists. The squak box is "residents only". 

Even simple mathematical economics says when demand increases to a point where it is not managed, raise the costs until demand is manageable again. Sometimes those costs are not $ but rather making opportunities more exclusive (limiting access). 

Covid is a blip on the screen.  In my area access has been shrinking for many years.  Towns use a host of slick techniques to keep "their" beaches private, and they've been very successful.  I'm creepin' while they're sleepin' anyway so they never see me, but it's not that easy on the kayak.  In fact I can't launch a kayak on my own beach.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

The town of Hull MA recently voted to make their COVID parking ban permanent. One of the selectmen said after the vote that residents were asking why they didn't do this sooner. That's the attitude we are dealing with. In my opinion it is very unlikely that new parking restrictions that began during COVID will be reversed. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by tanktroll

2 mins ago, cheech said:

One option-bribe the wife or someone to drop you off, and pick you up.:kiss: 

I did that while visiting my folks when they lived in Riverhead. I sometimes doubled down by having wifey pick us up on the Sound 5 miles downcurrent from where she dropped us! One time she got totally pissed because the boy and I hit a school of cocktail blues busting and were late. No cell service at that beach. Parking on the East End is bear, though off season some places open up. There's also some official NY State launches.

Sad/funny access story.  When a private developer built a world class golf course in Bayonne on NY Harbor with spectacular views, part of the terms with the city was that they would build a public access walkway along the water and a kayak launch. Except they didn't, at first. Then when a stink was made, they built the walkway and a rudimentary launch, except that it was a 1/2 mile walk from the parking lot!  Corporate f**kheads. I did it once just to spite them.

TBH I have not had any real issues getting access to the bodies of water I fish, whether it is open or ice season

Last year when the Pandemic was roaring, New York shut down there state parks but it as for layoffs of workers more than Covid. I ice fish primarily but the lake I usually goto only had access on one launch, all others were gated and closed. Fast forward to this past season and not a single park was closed. Same with Vermont. 

For my salt options, it has never been an issue, no launches were closed, all that was asked is if you go on a boat, it is only with family members from the same household. I went on a boat a bunch and was never asked at anytime about who the people on the boat with me were.

I also did a bunch of night trips during the fall and no one ever approached me either.

I won't disclose the locations I am speaking of but are mainly saltwater access points where you could launch a kayak. Not boat ramps. If you need a boat ramp to launch your kayak, your yak is too big, and you should have just bought a real boat. ;) ha ha

On 2 attempted trips with the kayak, I had to change my plans completely due to access limitations. Sall-I'm-sayin'. I noticed this shore fishing / when visiting the coast with the wife as well. 

I spent way more time in my boat last year and the boat ramps were hilarious with covid crazies. Now, I have so many funny stories to share - it was almost more fun than fishing. ...almost...

19 hours ago, NHAngler said:

If you need a boat ramp to launch your kayak, your yak is too big, and you should have just bought a real boat.

There's a park on Staten Island that had a large lot and an easy trail to the wide sparsely used beach for kayaks. But some beaurocrat decided that kayaks launching anywhere but an official kayak launch was evil, and they put up heavy wooden rails to keep out the kayaks. Now you HAVE to go to the boat ramp with less parking and get in the powerboaters way!