Shortage of Contractors / Trades workers

Rate this topic

BroadSoundBound

There is definitely a shortage of ‘the kid next door’ types in the trades. Thirty years ago it was Italian, Irish or Germans that made up most trades. Now the kid next door no longer wants to learn, OR work at a trade! 
  Your basic American kid has become lazy. Luckily there are plenty of willing foreigners who gladly learn, work hard, and eventually become business owners.

Edited by cheech
Spell

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I gave up looking for help maybe two years ago (a little less, maybe just before the Covid hit). Nobody wants to work, nobody wants to learn...just show up and get paid. Problem is most can't even show up on time consistently, so they are completely useless. I've had to change the way I do things, and sub out most aspects of my projects now.  

Edited by Chunkah

1 hour ago, cheech said:

There is definitely a shortage of ‘the kid next door’ types in the trades. Thirty years ago it was Italian, Irish or Germans that made up most trades. Now the kid next door no longer wants to learn, OR work at a trade! 
  Your basic American kid has become lazy. Luckily there are plenty of willing foreigners who gladly learn, work hard, and eventually become business owners.

Broke multiple ribs while working , self employed at the time. Needed my yard cleaned up before the impending snow. Called a landscaper/clean up guy one block away, no response for a week. Went to a gas station for ciggs and saw a beat up pick up , four different colors with rakes. Asked them if they would clean my yard.  They followed me to my house and did a perfect job, working into the dark with lights on there heads. Guatemalans. I see the owner now driving in a fleet of shiny new vehicles. Thanks.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you do it only when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses and produce only results. Author unknown.

Was in flooring business 50 yrs, sons now own company. Every time someone applied for a job, how$. I don't like weekends etc. Most trades people up make huge bucks, but cry the blues and report 1/3 to the Gov.. Maybe the words work and labor should be "cancelled"  then they would love it.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:49 PM, ribeye said:

Broke multiple ribs while working , self employed at the time. Needed my yard cleaned up before the impending snow. Called a landscaper/clean up guy one block away, no response for a week. Went to a gas station for ciggs and saw a beat up pick up , four different colors with rakes. Asked them if they would clean my yard.  They followed me to my house and did a perfect job, working into the dark with lights on there heads. Guatemalans. I see the owner now driving in a fleet of shiny new vehicles. Thanks.

If, IF I wanted to grow and expand my business now, I doubt that I could expect to hire people who "look like me" as some choose to describe it. The central American workers here far outwork most any other demographic group I would likely try to hire from. And they are starting their companies, and driving new vehicles and equipment. And soliciting the accounts of their former employers..... I see where this is going, but I have yet to incorporate it into my business plan as yet....  If I were in my 30's or 40's, I would have to, in order to compete and stay ahead of the shift.

8 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

I bet Independent Handyman self employed contactors are killing it right now. So many small jobs in the suburbs. 

I am exactly that, a month ago, I had just a few jobs on the books, I'm now booked well into June with more estimates out than I can handle.

There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:49 PM, ribeye said:
On 4/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, cheech said:

l'm now retired, but for the last 23 that l worked 75% of the workers that l had to work with were from South American 1990 to 2000 all men no problem, then the last 13 years 75% of the worker's women once more no problem they came to work every day and did there job. They're not afraid to work as long as you treat them with respect.

l just had a new roof put on my house total rip-off all from South American started at 8:00an and was done by 12:30 pm a small ranch when they left you never knew a roof was put on the house total walk around and clean up.

9 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

I bet Independent Handyman self employed contactors are killing it right now. So many small jobs in the suburbs. 

58 mins ago, Kicking Bass said:

I am exactly that, a month ago, I had just a few jobs on the books, I'm now booked well into June with more estimates out than I can handle.

A year ago, my girlfriend (late 50's) bought a house, I made it clear that I would not be able to help out much with projects. I have my own projects, a job, everything else and just wouldn't be able to spare much time for her house.. She said she'd find a good handyman..

She's still looking for that good handyman. She's not looking for cheap, just someone who is reliable, somewhat courteous and has a clue what they're doing... Harder to find than you'd think. 

Here's a side bar to worker shortages now, free money, many home owners can't mow their own yard, fix a faucet or even try. Change a tire, What's that.   Where's the old thought, show me once then I can do it. Famous old saying, " The only failure is not trying" .. Today and forward will be the new new!, impatience, no attempts to do simple jobs. Good for independent contractors!!!!! At least big GOV. can't with in reason control.   If you want to close and fishing for a week/work a little harder for 2 weeks. 

This is a subject that drives me nuts. I'm a Union tradesman, and the antics the younger guys pull these days is unbelievable sometimes. None of them want to work more than 40 hours a week. First they're asked to work the OT and they come up with some lame excuse not to. The coed bridle shower is my favorite. I would never admit to this if it were me. Then the contractor begs them to work  the OT. When that doesn't work, it comes down to either start working it, or we'll find someone who will. Thats when the tears start. Nothing like hearing the phrase "I work to live, not live to work" from some 23 year old kid who still lives at home. You can't get it through their heads that the business can be fickle, and when you've been out of work for a while, and the mortgage company wants their money, You'll regret not working those 10 hour days or Saturdays. It doesn't sink in. The old timers I apprenticed under would have never put up with this.

5 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

This is a subject that drives me nuts. I'm a Union tradesman, and the antics the younger guys pull these days is unbelievable sometimes. None of them want to work more than 40 hours a week. First they're asked to work the OT and they come up with some lame excuse not to. The coed bridle shower is my favorite. I would never admit to this if it were me. Then the contractor begs them to work  the OT. When that doesn't work, it comes down to either start working it, or we'll find someone who will. Thats when the tears start. Nothing like hearing the phrase "I work to live, not live to work" from some 23 year old kid who still lives at home. You can't get it through their heads that the business can be fickle, and when you've been out of work for a while, and the mortgage company wants their money, You'll regret not working those 10 hour days or Saturdays. It doesn't sink in. The old timers I apprenticed under would have never put up with this.

I've been in the trades for 38 years with the last 28 being union.   The problem we have up here is the lack of young people coming in.   

There will be a large exodus of members in the next 5 years as we get older and retire.    There won't be enough new members coming in to replace us.

I was talking to the President of the company a couple of months ago and mentioned that I had 4-1/2 more years to go and I was going to retire.   He looked at me and said "I need you for the next 10 years.   My reply was I'd be 70 so that isn't going to happen.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:16 AM, RAW said:

Here's a side bar to worker shortages now, free money, many home owners can't mow their own yard, fix a faucet or even try. Change a tire, What's that.   Where's the old thought, show me once then I can do it. Famous old saying, " The only failure is not trying" .. Today and forward will be the new new!, impatience, no attempts to do simple jobs. Good for independent contractors!!!!! At least big GOV. can't with in reason control.   If you want to close and fishing for a week/work a little harder for 2 weeks. 

It's very true. The DIY mentality of people my age (35) and younger is crazy. All of my wife's friends think I am really handy because I will re-place a garbage disposal or put in a new thermostat, paint a bedroom real basic weekend warrior type mickey mouse jobs. None of their husbands would even attempt to fix something around their house. The first time my neighbor met me I was in the middle of painting / ripping up carpet and slowly moving stuff in. I talked to my neighbor for a few minutes and she said when do you think the owner will be coming by.....ah nice to meet you. I saw a work van a few weeks ago that people hire to pick up dog crap in their yards. That's all they do, rich people pay a service company to pick up their dog crap in their own yard.......

52 mins ago, BroadSoundBound said:

It's very true. The DIY mentality of people my age (35) and younger is crazy. All of my wife's friends think I am really handy because I will re-place a garbage disposal or put in a new thermostat, paint a bedroom real basic weekend warrior type mickey mouse jobs. None of their husbands would even attempt to fix something around their house. The first time my neighbor met me I was in the middle of painting / ripping up carpet and slowly moving stuff in. I talked to my neighbor for a few minutes and she said when do you think the owner will be coming by.....ah nice to meet you. I saw a work van a few weeks ago that people hire to pick up dog crap in their yards. That's all they do, rich people pay a service company to pick up their dog crap in their own yard.......

If every man knew the business end of a hammer, we wouldn't be getting the phone calls. All I care is that they get an "A" in handwriting... as in writing the check.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, BroadSoundBound said:

The guy I use is so busy he can't even find time to quote new jobs for me.  He was an accountant and left it to do this.  Best thing he ever did he says.

-