East Tide

Buzzards Bay- Pedal Drive Kayak- Stony Point- Newbie

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

Been fishing the canal hard since the 90's (when breaking tides we're not crazy and you could always count on spots being open at night!!!)  and now live out of state. Pulled the trigger on a Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL (not salty) for tarpon fishing in FL and going to be taking it back to the Cape this summer. 

Couple questions about buzzards bay- If you were to launch at Macos or maybe Onset/ Wareham (think you can?) what kind of window around slack do you have before it would be dangerous/ impossible to pedal back against a tide if you were to get out to Codman Point (what google maps calls it)? My goal would be to fish the east to west change, and float out around that point, maybe along the Stony Dike. As much as I'd like to fish the shore of Hog Island I don't think there is any access to launch? All may very well be a bad idea, I'm a newbie. 

I can't seem to find the exact location of the "Federally maintained limits of the Cape Cod Canal." 

Any advice without infringing on the spot detail rules would be appreciated. 

I fish mostly out of the boat from the West End launching out of Onset. I regularly see kayaks in Onset and Over to Codman Point. 
This is all doable. Current reasonable, I would say doable with the PDL. Stay into the pools and get s feel for it. Obvious boat traffic during the day may be less at night. Ease into night mode there from later afternoon or evening and fish into the black.

I have had the yak chasing Albacore along the Dike. Look into launching little harbor beach safer option in there and ease out. Bring your cart If you need to bail you can always cross the dike area and get back into protection.

2954DC62-DCA5-4EE2-90B8-62AE18E96084.png

Launching out of little harbor beach without a wareham resident sticker will get you a ticket!!!  Just started enforcing this last year when the covid started, I have never had a problem in previous years  until I came back to a $60 ticket on my windshield in September. Don’t know if this was just a cash grab for the year or if they will be enforcing it again this year. That will be up to you to roll the dice.  

If you want to launch mainland side  of the canal there is a ramp off of oak st in wareham. If you want to fish the cape side of stony point  **** you can launch out of the monument beach area 

11 mins ago, Dthfrmabove said:

Launching out of little harbor beach without a wareham resident sticker will get you a ticket!!!  Just started enforcing this last year when the covid started, I have never had a problem in previous years  until I came back to a $60 ticket on my windshield in September. Don’t know if this was just a cash grab for the year or if they will be enforcing it again this year. That will be up to you to roll the dice.  

If you want to launch mainland side  of the canal there is a ramp off of oak st in wareham. If you want to fish the cape side of stony point  **** you can launch out of the monument beach area 

Oh that sucks. Been going there for a while. Never had an issue parking away. Hopefully they let it go again. 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I fish mostly out of the boat from the West End launching out of Onset. I regularly see kayaks in Onset and Over to Codman Point. 
This is all doable. Current reasonable, I would say doable with the PDL. Stay into the pools and get s feel for it. Obvious boat traffic during the day may be less at night. Ease into night mode there from later afternoon or evening and fish into the black.

I have had the yak chasing Albacore along the Dike. Look into launching little harbor beach safer option in there and ease out. Bring your cart If you need to bail you can always cross the dike area and get back into protection.

2954DC62-DCA5-4EE2-90B8-62AE18E96084.png

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I could heft this thing to and from the lot- hull on it's own then the drive and gear. Is that a pipe dream. I know it's 85 lbs but I've never tried carrying one. Cart critical?

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Oh that sucks. Been going there for a while. Never had an issue parking away. Hopefully they let it go again. 

Yeah wasn’t too happy about that but times have changed with non resident beach access since covid and it sucks !!  Funny thing is I wasn’t even in the kayak I was wading in the water fishing around the corner and I got the ticket. They could have easily seen me from my car but gave me the ticket anyway. All about the Benjamin’s for some of these towns 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like lots of other towns the regulations and signs are there, but many don't enforce them,  sucks when they suddenly do.

There is a public ramp on Oak St, near the center of town, but a long haul to Stony Point in a kayak.

Edited by FizzyFish

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, East Tide said:

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking I could heft this thing to and from the lot- hull on it's own then the drive and gear. Is that a pipe dream. I know it's 85 lbs but I've never tried carrying one. Cart critical?

I would buy one or better yet make one with 30cm wheeleze wheels. These wheels are tough even going over asphalt.  I had 106 pdl. An absolute pig without a cart. 

Edited by The Riddler

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I would buy one or better yet make one with 30cm wheeleze wheels. These wheels are tough even going over asphalt.  I had 106 pdl. An absolute pig without a cart. 

Cool. Will do.

What are you going to get now that you sold that? I was talked out of Hobies due to reliability and talked into the Sportsman 120 PDL for reliability and stability. I'm picking it up tomorrow but now am questioning the Salty PDL 120. I'd like to be able to stand to fish for musky on lakes and calm inshore sight casting for tarpon. Won't be traveling too far but will be lauching from the beach. This is my first yak and I can't test any close to me so I'm flying by the seat of my computer chair and a bunch of youtubers! 

For what it's worth I was a semi pro cyclist, (mountain, road and cyclocross) so I think I'll be able to push this thing around pretty good. Not sure about launching with the wider platform?

I've all but paid for the Salty PDL 120 and can't get a Salty 120 so hopefully I'm heading down the right path. 

I have the sportsman 120 pdl. Very stable platform can stand very easily. It is a tugboat and not a great beach launch boat if there is any type of surf. Your speed is limited to the gearing in the drive and is not the fastest kayak out there but constant speeds of 3 - 3.5 average is easy to do. You will enjoy it inshore and back bays though I still haven’t gotten used to the higher seating compared to my last kayak. Jackson cuda 12. 
 I now have a dozen or so trips on the sportsman this year and don’t know how it took me so long to get a pedal drive for fishing 

16 hours ago, East Tide said:

Cool. Will do.

What are you going to get now that you sold that? I was talked out of Hobies due to reliability and talked into the Sportsman 120 PDL for reliability and stability. I'm picking it up tomorrow but now am questioning the Salty PDL 120. I'd like to be able to stand to fish for musky on lakes and calm inshore sight casting for tarpon. Won't be traveling too far but will be lauching from the beach. This is my first yak and I can't test any close to me so I'm flying by the seat of my computer chair and a bunch of youtubers! 

For what it's worth I was a semi pro cyclist, (mountain, road and cyclocross) so I think I'll be able to push this thing around pretty good. Not sure about launching with the wider platform?

I've all but paid for the Salty PDL 120 and can't get a Salty 120 so hopefully I'm heading down the right path. 

I have a brand new 2014 Revo 13 and a 2019 Revo 16. I am eyeing another PDL, the 120. If a good sale comes around. The 106 was blown around by the wind. 

Looks like you got some good advice already. I’ve fished that area in a hobie outback including hog island. When the current picks up it is a bit hairy. It is doable in a pedal kayak though. I would add, always have plan b, c and d ready to go if you can’t mitigate the current or happen to flip. Bringing a cart to pull the yak and wait out the tide if needed is a good idea. 

Also, boat traffic is a big factor for increasing the danger of that area.