Sandflee

custom hunting knives

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Got to check out a friends knife made by the infamous Larry Benoit, hot damn that dude made a sick blade I think out of railroad ties, now that he’s passed they are collectors 

curious as to his process for making such a blade 

I get it that they are collectible but I do not see anything special. Top pic far left looks like it was made in a prison shop class. 

There are lots of custom knife makers out there today and not all of them are good.

Making a useable knife isn’t really all that hard.

Whether you forge a blade to shape or grind one from bar stock it just requires some tools, a place to work and patience.

In fact there are a number of knife making schools,  which you can find online, which will give you a good working knowledge of making your own blades.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

I've seen many made with RR spikes. I also like the ones made from files. :th:

Charlie Davis from Anza made me a small file knife years back. Pretty nice guy. 

My friend has a real old blade he made and it's the best knife for gutting a deer ever. 

Edited by Mokes

24 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

I'll hang onto my $28 Buck 673

Son of a bitch. They discontinued it. Now I need to find one.

Get the vanguard with the rubber handle and non gut  hook blade.  Best field knife I've ever owned. 

7 mins ago, JaseB said:

Get the vanguard with the rubber handle and non gut  hook blade.  Best field knife I've ever owned. 

The replacement for this will be a Benchmade Steep Country. The ****** part is that this knife is really an amazing blade for very little money. It was actually around $20 before it was discontinued. That's nuts. I can buy six of them for one Benchmade.

3 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

The replacement for this will be a Benchmade Steep Country. The ****** part is that this knife is really an amazing blade for very little money. It was actually around $20 before it was discontinued. That's nuts. I can buy six of them for one Benchmade.

Meateater endorsed! :fire:

5 mins ago, JaseB said:

Used that exact knife for both muley and hog, zero complaints.  That said...

Knives come and go (usually at a healthy loss lol) but for good reason I always seem to come back to these two gems.  Nessmuk and the Lil' Muk. 

Blind Horse Knives, I was sorry to see LT and Dan part ways...1) they picked up the phone 2) affordable 3) they're both OH natives like myself and their designs are practical.  Maybe a couple of years after I'd bought the pair I called Dan's shop (they always kept their 2 shops independent but were business partners) and said I'm not at all happy with this god awful Sabre grind on the big guy.  Not the execution mind you but rather the useful intent.  "What are you looking for"...work a 3/4 high flat grind, tip the edge maybe 25 degrees and let's see how that pans out?

True story.  Dan calls maybe 6 weeks later, knife is done just need a C/C number.  Asks why I put file marks on the backbone...number of whitetail skins (meaning bragging!) and I replied popping the sockets takes a little grip.  They incorporated the change in all future Muk designs... 

BHK.jpg

BHK2.jpg