coastalfreak

I need your feedback - I’d like to write a book.

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Write a book about SOL the truths and the lies and all the characters. Lots of great men have come and gone, some of the old threads are gold. Some really good info to be had also. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/7/2021 at 8:09 PM, coastalfreak said:

Hello all. It may sound stupid, but I look up to the older generation, and especially you guys, a lot. I’ve been constantly let down by my generation, and I consistently find a haven of maturity and old-fashioned class on this forum.

See, 40 years ago if a nice young man said that, a fellow in his later years would say to himself "Wow, what a respectful and well brought up young man that is... I think I will share stories with him...".. But in today's "enough about me, let's talk about you... what do you think of me? world, the knee-jerk first thought is "what a patronizing little SOB... wonder what he is trying to get from me for nothing"  :shrug:

...  like the quote I used from Yogi on another thread... the future ain't what it used to be :eek:

Edited by fmtuna

Compile a bunch of spooky tales from the surf or crazy things that have happened while fishing stories, those are always fun to read. 

7 hours ago, BDigital said:

Compile a bunch of spooky tales from the surf or crazy things that have happened while fishing stories, those are always fun to read. 

I think there is a whole thread about these and some are pretty good! Would make a great addition to your book!

On 4/7/2021 at 8:09 PM, coastalfreak said:

I consistently find a haven of maturity and old-fashioned class on this forum.

I guess you never been to the PG forum lol.......it’s one of the most classless places on the entire internet.

I think you have a great idea though. 

This has been a great read, other than the middle section that got slightly ' off topic ', but you have a great idea. Everybody loves to read nostalgic stories about the ' characters'  and the  ' old days'.  History repeats itself. Look at eel skin plugs !  One suggestion to consider , in order to keep something perpetual, it must stay current. I would end the book with just a brief section on today's surfcasters. I know a lot of people might rag on the idea, but i'm thinking if you read an entire book on the old days, and leave it at that, some readers might walk away thinking the sport is dead. Almost a depressing ending. There are some very good under 50 'casters that are carrying on the tradition of throwing something in the ocean hoping to catch a fish. And it's still traditionally rooted in the past. Just a thought I suppose.

Jim

5 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Talk to Doorgunner, he use to fish with Moses from what I heard.

When Moses parted the red sea DG was there drawing diagrams

It usually works the other way around.... You accumulated a lot of stories over the years.  Then, you decide to write a book.

You could write it about the old and the new. In chronological order you could show the progression of gear, compare tactics, talk about things that have changed and things that have stayed the same. Don't really need another how to book, past generation have those covered.