coastalfreak

I need your feedback - I’d like to write a book.

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello all. It may sound stupid, but I look up to the older generation, and especially you guys, a lot. I’ve been constantly let down by my generation, and I consistently find a haven of maturity and old-fashioned class on this forum.

I’d like to compile a group of stories from you guys on the forum - stories of fishing and coastal life in the old days. Tails of sadness, humor, or peace. Stories from when the fisheries hadn’t gone to crap. Great memories of fishing with your family or your best friends. Stories of growing up on Long Island and riding your bike to the pier. 

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, but I figured I would throw it out there. I’m not sure if it will ever materialize, but it’s worth a shot. I’m still thinking about it, so think of it as a survey of sorts. 

I’m not looking for stories yet, just let me know if this is an idea that would interest you. 

Edited by coastalfreak

I think you have a good 

idea. Lots of interesting characters/stories out there. Robert Post wrote “Reading The Water” stories about Marther’s Vinyard you should read, good luck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not a bad idea, few different directions you could go with that.  Starting anything almost never seems easy or worth it, just bellieve in it your self and do it because it feels right.  

There used to be way more in the way of old names and guys who been around the block that lingered here.  Still more than a handful but not like it was 15+ years ago.  The plug builders on this site I'm sure would have a lot to add as well.  Put the idea together, I'd be more than happy to contribute memories and a touch of philosophy my self. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

All of @Sudsy 's

Stories usually seem to end in a "no homo....." 

Either that or they end with 

"So I asked the taller guy to reach it for me .... 

(Ahhhhhh..... new season new Sudsy short jokes) 

10 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hello all. It may sound stupid, but I look up to the older generation, and especially you guys, a lot. I’ve been constantly let down by my generation, and I consistently find a haven of maturity and old-fashioned class on this forum.

I’d like to compile a group of stories from you guys on the forum - stories of fishing and coastal life in the old days. Tails of sadness, humor, or peace. Stories from when the fisheries hadn’t gone to crap. Great memories of fishing with your family or your best friends. Stories of growing up on Long Island and riding your bike to the pier. 

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, but I figured I would throw it out there. I’m not sure if it will ever materialize, but it’s worth a shot. I’m still thinking about it, so think of it as a survey of sorts. 

I’m not looking for stories yet, just let me know if this is an idea that would interest you. 

Maybe bring this idea into the Tavern and start by interviewing all those guys.

What have you done so far?

I like to read books about fishing to learn things I may not know about fishing. As far as reading stories simply about other people fishing, well in that case I would rather be fishing..

Good luck, seems like you were born in the wrong generation.

If it were ‘your’ stories, or fiction, you’d be writing a book! Otherwise it’s a compilation of fishing stories.

12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Stories of growing up on Long Island and riding your bike to the pier. 

1980-1985. I would ride my bike from my home in Plainview to Cold Spring Harbor pier. Strap my 2 piece rod to the frame of my bike and go. It was a bout 10 miles or so. Catch flounder/fluke/bluefish/ells and kill the snappers in August. They had a small bait/tackle shop if you needed sandworms, spearing, bunker, etc. As I/we got a little older we would go more at night and take the John boats out that were for the boats that were on moorings in the harbor. Throw poppers and chunk for big blues and strippers, sometimes in 3 feet of water. We were very successful at this and for the most part we had the whole harbor to our selves at night. There is more but that is my short story and I am sticking to it.  

Nice idea.  There are readers out there who like stories.  Feel free to reach out if you need any advice or assistance.