tailspin

Additional spools for salt water fly fishing??

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I mostly use head systems now on two handlers and single hand which means no extra spools, just a couple of heads to swap to the conditions. I may fish open beach with a floater and poppers and then walk back bay to inlet with deeper much stronger current and swap to a sinking head. 

6 hours ago, tailspin said:

Maybe its best to start a new thread for this....but why do you run different leaders at different lengths? I have heard people making leaders shorter for windier conditions, or longer for spooky fish....but living in New England the typical 7ft leader with a bit of tippet will do, no? 

The typical leaders I’m using are 12’ long.  Often more and sometimes less.  I use 50/40/30/16 and am starting to use Chico’s formulas on lighter rods.

4 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

It takes longer to change a spool than a leader, so I can't see the point of this. Plus why have copies of the same line.

On this sidebar, I keep a ziplock bag full of pre-tied fluoro and mono leaders for different situations in little baggies. They are labelled, like "Flats 12'" or "Rocks 3' 30#" or "6' 20#". Someday I will get a leader wallet.

I’ve been using a nail knot from butt section to fly line.  So, the way for me to change the leader without trying to rebuild them is a spare spool.  Also, I’d say it takes no longer to change a spool than a leader.

Depends on size and type of reel and intended use...

Two hand rods I mostly swap out heads so no need to have multiple spools.  This is especially true for spey in rivers.  I may bring an extra reel in case of reel failure.

On smaller single hand rods, I often use cheaper reels, each with their own line.  Many 3wt to 5wt reels weigh 4-6 oz.  One 5-6 wt reel I own has multiple replacement cartridges (TFO Mayfly) and that reel is bombproof.

Boat reels, get 0 or 1 extra spool, or use shooting heads on single reel.  Draw bar type reels are difficult to change spools on a moving boat or near water - so, two reels or one reel with a shooting head system.  These reels are typically 9-12 weight and heavy so an extra spool (for non draw bar types) saves weight.  Having an extra (back up) reel on boat is also important.  Often it has the same shooting head set-up or similar line(s).

Flats reels sometimes get one or even two extra spools depending on reel design.  Lamson spool changes in saltwater allow water to penetrate the drag system, so I never swap out spools when the reel is in use, if I can help it.  I like Lamson reels for their simple design and low weight on 7-8 wt flats rods.  Two 7-9 wt Lamson 3.5's weigh about as much as one of my 9-10-11 wt draw bar reels.

Some reel spools are almost as expensive as the whole reel.  I'd buy two reels in that case so I'd have a parts reel if one broke.

Edited by Killiefish

I used to be big on spare spools, but over the years I've changed my personal preference.   A reel does not weigh a ton more than a spare spool, and provides extra back up in case of an accident or malfunction.   The Seals have a saying "two is one and one is none" and I think that applies here.

I mostly fish from shore. 

When fishing salt from shore I almost always carry 2 rods with me, so I have 2 setups ready to go with lines specific to what I believe I'm going to encounter that day, usually an intermediate and one that sinks more.  Then I'll carry one spare reel for either set up in case a reel gets damaged in a fall.  On really long days with lots of planned walking a good distance from home base (a cottage or car) I may even carry a spare reel for each set up.

When on a boat I'll bring as many rods as their are rod holders and a whole bunch of extra reels and flies because weight becomes irrelevant.

For freshwater I rarely carry 2 rods because the circumstances (types of water) of where I fish do not change all that often.  So then if I'm going to be fishing less than a mile from my car I don't bring any spare reels with me - they are sitting in the car if I need them.  If i'm going to be farther from my car I'll bring a spare reel or spool with a sink tip if I'm going to hit a deeper pool where I'm going to want to get the fly down deeper.

I fish from a boat so it’s easier and faster for me to just bring 3 rods.  1 sink, intermediate, and floating line set ups.  If I’m in to fish and they rise up to the surface I just put down one rod and pick up the rod with floating line set up with a popper.  If the go back down just switch rods.  If I was on foot I would limit it to 2 rods that would be dependent on water depth.  Floating and sink.  Or intermediate and floating 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:44 AM, Sngl2th said:

I am a spool guy. The trouble is finding spare spools for old reels. 

My issue as well. Have 2 SW reels now that can take 7-9 wt lines. I have a Ross CLA 4 that would have kept it to one reel if I could have located spare spools. No dice nowadays. For the newer reel, I bought 2 spare spools along with it. Learned my lesson with the CLA.