tailspin

Additional spools for salt water fly fishing??

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Considering picking up 2 additional spools for my 8wt and 9wt rods to have 2 different lines preloaded and ready to string up. I realize this takes a little time....but nowhere near as much as re-lining the spool. 

Do you think it's worth it? 

I have the Rio cranky kits, they're a pain to use but that's been the system so far. 

Thanks! 

I never went the extra spool route.  Instead I just purchased another reel and have all my rods rigged the way I like and ready to use whenever.  If needed, I then switch lines depending on the situation.  I could see the value in spare spools depending on how easy they are to switch out.

I fish primarily from shore, and I often cover lots of ground. On an outing it is very rare that I change lines. I pick my outfit (line and rod weight) to match the conditions I expect to encounter. 

Like 27conch I generally carry a spare reel in my backpack with an alternate line, and on rare occasion I do make a change. For me switching out the reel is a quick and easy process. 

There's no wrong way. Lots of guys go the extra spool route. 

Question is why do you have an 8 and 9 to me virtually same rod. I would sell the 9 and move up to a 10. That way you have 8 for albies, lmb and a 10 for bigger flies for striper and even salmon If you want to try that

Hmmm...always carry an extra spool or reel.  Pretty much always start with an intermediate but have often switched to a sinker if stiff current.

I will carry an extra reel over an extra spool. The modern reels like Lamson, Ross, etc,.. are light weight and a tad delicate. If I take a fall and damage my reel I’d rather have an extra reel than an extra spool for a reel that is damaged. 

Depending on where you fish it may or may not matter at all. 

I also think I have changed reels less than a handful of times ever over a fair amount of years. 

I am a fan of extra spools. They have proven their value to me multiple times in the field. As others have mentioned, they're great for carrying an intermediate and either a sinking or floating line, which can be deployed as/when conditions merit. 

Also, once you get above a certain price point, they're also cheaper that buying an entire separate reel.

Not a fan of spools, but that's just me.

However, nothing wrong with carrying a spare spool or two, just be sure to carry a spare reel in case of a frame problem.

The spare reel doesn't have to be as expensive as your main, and don't even have to put a line on it, just load it with backing.

In a worst cast scenario, (failed drag, bent frame), all you have to do it tie on the fly line from the main reel and you'll be ready to go in a few minutes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depends on the reel for me and whether or not swapping out a spool is an easy task out in the field.

My salt reel is a Tibor so I'd rather carry a second reel than try to swap the spool standing on the beach or wading the surf. If I had a Hatch/Ross/Etc. I might consider the extra spool but I'd be looking at how much money I'd be saving going with a spool vs the whole reel.

Edited by Dave the fisherman

Posted (edited) · Report post

I  put a reel and spool on for what I know I want to do first, but carry a whole reel and a spare spool for one of the other.  I normally fish a 350 integrated or  shooting head/running line, an intermediate, and a floater. 8 and 9 singlehand.  I'm not  real fussy with line weights.  I take some pretty long walks, sometimes incorporating my bike, some up to 7-8 mile rt's, so I carry a spare rod in a case, too. Fortunately my wife often goes with me and carries a large day pack , so transit is easier than it could be. 

Edited by bloosfisher

11 hours ago, 27conch said:

I never went the extra spool route.  Instead I just purchased another reel and have all my rods rigged the way I like and ready to use whenever.  If needed, I then switch lines depending on the situation.  I could see the value in spare spools depending on how easy they are to switch out.

I've gone both ways.  Sometimes it depends on the price difference.

There can be an advantage in the weight difference.  Doesn't sound like much but it all adds up if you extend the thought process to all the gear you carry.

It's arguably easier to change reels in the field than spools.  Depending on the reel design.

I am a spool guy. I switch lines frequently between heavy level T, intermediate, floating. It takes about a min. Sometimes I just feel like fishing a popper. I wouldn't want to carry three reels around in my backpack. I use old system 2 reels that can take a beating. The trouble is finding spare spools for old reels. 

38 mins ago, Sngl2th said:

I am a spool guy. I switch lines frequently between heavy level T, intermediate, floating. It takes about a min. Sometimes I just feel like fishing a popper. I wouldn't want to carry three reels around in my backpack. I use old system 2 reels that can take a beating. The trouble is finding spare spools for old reels. 

Amen on the last sentence! Very hard to find some once a company discontinues a line of reels.