doublegregg

pollarized lens........ or glasses...any help in spotting fish?

19 posts in this topic

for fishing streams or small ponds, do polarized glasses help? and i wear glasses, i have horrible eyes... are there polarized lenses that you can carry, and pull out as needed? so, basically, it'd be like a magnifying glass or binocululars that you just carry and use as desired. i guess some of those old uh, nerd catalogs would carry things like polarized plastic or glass...

also, i thought polarized glass that could rotated would maximize the polarization effect, allowing you to see as clearly as possible with the aid of your polarized glass.....

or am i all wet..........

tysm............. 

I use photochromic sunglass with a baseball cap that extends the sun shade over the glasses. It makes a difference to have that sun blockage over the glasses. Its amazing what you can see in the water with them vs without them

I have a nice pair of Costas that definitely make a difference when I'm stream fishing.  As vce12342000 said above shading your eyes is essential.

I found these clip-on polarized lenses on Amazon.  I'm sure there are more out there.

polarized lenses.JPG

Costas work,,,,,,:) but a little hard on your eyes and go with glass ones,,,,,:eek: if you shop hard you can get them for $70 to $115,,,,,,:D

Yes, Polarizes lenses make a big difference in being able to see through the glare on the surface of the water. Photochromatic lenses are great as they lighten and darken as the sunlight increases or decreases. Different colored lenses help in different situations, I like a yellow amber as it often makes stripers "jump out" often as chartreuse underwater... There is a great deal to learn about sunglasses and the protection or damage they can cause to your eyes.

Here is something that I wrote years ago and still holds true;

Dangerous Sunglasses

Something most people don't know is that there are many levels of protection for sunglasses. The two most common are Special Purpose and General Purpose, this is VERY miss leading, almost all the glass for sale will say 100% UV protection (even 400%), but the thing to know is that General Purpose(GP) is 65% to start with or 100% of 65%. Special Purpose (SP) is 95% UV protection or 100% 0f 95%. Now you may think that at least I am getting some protection with the General Purpose (GP), but your eyes dilate when you wear sunglasses and YOU END UP WITH MORE UV DAMAGE, THAN IF YOU HAD NO SUNGLASSES ON AT ALL! These Sun Glasses are Dangerous to wear, if you or those you care about own them, throw them out! Price means nothing, I have bought $15. SP, and have seen $120. GP. I use to sell Sun Glasses and most manufacturing reps don't understand this, but will tell you that they are SP when they don't know! Look for it on the label and if it does not say it, don't assume that they are SP. no matter how much they cost. Please, the sun is only getting more dangerous, protect your eyes, it will be a long time before they figure out how to give you new ones!

I hope that I was able to explain this stupid system so that everyone was able to understand it if it was up to me I would put it on billboards across the country!

Posted (edited) · Report post

thanks a lot guys... i've never tried polarized lenses, or sun glasses, for fishing, since i wear prescription.

i no when i fish my nearby lake, i jsut always fish with the sun at my back, never with it in front. maybe that's good or bad, but i'll check into polarized glasses... it would be great to see what is going on under the surface more than i currently do.

Edited by doublegregg

I recently got an extra pair (2) of prescription glasses when i went to costco. Prescription polarized sun glasses ( which hope they are SP, have to check that out as per above). Always used non prescription Smiths in three different colors, navy, amber and yellow as needed for different applications. Excellent (necessary?)for spotting fish on flats or trout streams. If you fish streams, i find it more important to see the terrain under water for navigating boulders and logs. More important to not slip in rough water trout fishing than it is to sight fish, though. I find the amber great for shooting mostly.

Good stuff about the sp v gp.  I sunburned my eyes many years ago offshore tuna fishing.

Got Costas after that and never looked (pun) back lol.  Amber lens for murky water and green or blue for clear.  I have 3 sets now

Purchasing polarized prescription sunglasses was prob the most adult thing I’ve done in my life. On my second pair, pricey but if I lost or broke a pair tomorrow I’d rush out and get another. My eyes aren’t garbage but holy hell do they make it a pleasure to see.

Maui Jim's, expensive, but with warranty they are worth it. I buy wrap arounds, and store glasses correctly. My glasses are prescription, 8 yrs old, Been wearing Maui's since 1999, 4 new glasses or repairs  for free( shipping +)

thanks again, guys. i've never even thought of prescription dark glasses, nor polarized prescription dark glasses --- i've just never even thought of them.

yeah - seeing snags would be amazing... now, often i can't see a thing - the water is like a mirror. i just cast and pray, and uh, use cheaper lures in this case.

i guess the options actually are ---- get contacts, which i haven't had in decades... my eyes are pretty bad, and to tie my knots, or even put my 4# test thru my line guides,  now i just take off my glasses. i don't wear bifocals, etc. so, with contacts i'd be able to wear off the shelf dark glasses, but have to uh, have another pair of close up reading glasses for my contacts...??? sounds messy.

or prescription polarized dark glasses..... i can look for 'SP'...  sounds like maui jim's are available in prescription...  

i've never had glasses that darken and lighten on the lighting...... any other thoughts on those? are there uh - medium dark or light dark sun glasses that you could just wear regardless of brightness of the sun? i have to admit - i'm a sun glass newbie. only been wearing plain old prescriptions all my life.

I wear gray for saltwater, yellow or light brown for rivers, creeks. Wrap around do prevent a lot of glare, or there slide on sides for blocking sunlight back glaring in eyes. 

5 hours ago, Eye_dock said:

Polarized and add a mirrored front to the lens...find a local optical shop and splurge on the lenses themselves not the frame

i don't see the purpose of mirrored lenses............?? no pun intended.  in any event, i'll probably get some prescription sun glasses from my optometrist guy...

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, RAW said:

I wear gray for saltwater, yellow or light brown for rivers, creeks. Wrap around do prevent a lot of glare, or there slide on sides for blocking sunlight back glaring in eyes. 

RAW, and these are prescription? how do you change lenses? unclear...

Edited by doublegregg