fmtuna

Pet Insurance

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So there is a new member of the family, and she is going to grow... big...

Couple of my friends in the biz recommend pet insurance so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what y'all (picked her up from a farm in Southern  Virginia.. hence, the southern accent...) thought about asking a bunch of outdoorsmen what they thought about the expense...

So waddayathink?  Worth it?  Or just roll the dice....

IMG_0819.JPG

Edited by fmtuna

Trupanion

started off cheap @$45 per dog then got more pay $125 for 2

great for issues that become chronic or reoccurring, UTI, drafted , cancer

doesn’t cover checkups office but covers for drugs or food for conditions

90% after detuctable

I have pet insurance on my dog and cat. It has been about 3 years now.  It was $1,100.00 the first year. This year they jacked it up to $1,400.00 without ever having a single claim. The deductible is $500.00. I called them to question that. Their reply was well your pets are getting older and we look into what the cost of veterinary care cost are in your area so that is why we increased it. 

It is a tough call. I have a buddy who has a Shepard pup that ate a pack of sugarless gum. It cost him over 5 thousand dollars alone for that vet bill. The younger they are the cheaper it is.

I do know this... if one of our pets needed an expensive surgery I could not tell mrs rocky "No" because of the cost.

Edited by rockyoutdoors

24 mins ago, MikeMc said:

She's a looker. :th: Good luck with her. 

Thanks Mike... great Pyrenees 

I get that Rocky.. there would be no "NO" with Mrs. Tuna either.... she'd sell me first...

Edited by fmtuna

Pet medical insurance is a no brainer. Cheaper than paying the bills yourself in the long run. Unless you have no emotional attachment like KOQ, that's another story.

When in doubt, sell the wife, keep the dog.

Edited by hobobob

12 mins ago, Jimichanga said:

Over a thousand dollars a year for dog insurance lol.

giphy (76).gif

Some of us think that a dog or cat is a family member with a life long commitment to be taken care of and not thrown away like an old toy or a piece of trash when you are tired of them. 

What deductible?   I’m self insuring the mutt for now but talking with people. Those who have insurance tell me about relatively cheap high deductible and also expensive $100 deductible with great coverage. 

My employer offers some insurance not ridiculous expensive, think it depends on breed and predisposed conditions, I have 2 mutts and don’t have the insurance 

If you can't drop 5 or 10 grand on a vet bill and it will rip your heart out to put the dog down you better get insurance. If the pet becomes an aw chit I forgot to take the gosh darn dog out you can skip it.

^^^^^^^^^

edited by Beaver Cleaver I think.

Edited by SB59

1 hour ago, fmtuna said:

Thanks Mike... great Pyrenees 

Great dogs. A friend has one...Sarge. 

When he was a pup he learned to pee off the boat by standing on the swim platform with his front paws on the dinghy and pee through the space between them.  It was impressive. 

He grew into a huge and friendly oaf with one blue eye. 

We have our Min Pin insured for $23 a month... the last weekend of my beloved J.Russell's Petey's  life cost me about $1500 because his seizures started on the weekend.

Edited by triumph
I felt my story needed further embellishing