btpeck14

Lamson SS Rods 10+ weights?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I spend most of my time fishing with a #7, grab the #9 if the wind is up.  But there are a few times when I wish I had a bigger rod.  With the closeout prices around, I was looking a the Lamson SS rods.  I've seen a few positive reviews for lower line weights.  Wondering if anyone has any experience with them in the 10, 11, or 12 weights?  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

I have seen them online and was interested for a minute after reading one outdoor retailer list "Made in the United States of America" in the description. Prior to pulling the trigger on a new 10 wt. (for the same reasons you listed RE: 9 wt.) at what appeared to be an excellent price (sub $180), is I contacted Lamson to verify where they are manufactured and received this reply:

The high-quality blanks are made overseas (not China) while the rods are assembled and packaged here.

Let me just say, I am a longtime Lamson customer and have several of their reels (all Made in USA) and appreciate them. They have been workhorses and the company has always been responsive to questions and great to visit with @ shows. But I was not interested in purchasing one of their rods after hearing they import the blanks. I recall seeing their Center Axis line debuted at one of the Fly Fishing Shows a few years back and thought it was "gimmicky", for lack of a better term. They did not have any Standard Seat rods that I recall. The CA ones I had a chance to handle at the booth seemed ok...nothing special. Granted I did NOT cast them in any way. 

I wish I had more to add, since you asked for experiences with them. Just wanted you to know you weren't alone in considering them in the 10 wt...especially for the relatively short $$ they're going for online.

Good luck in your quest! 

A lot of made in usa reels have castings from other countries and then machine them here... it is always the fine print.  I would be interested in how the SS 10wt performs also.

Lamson and Sage are from the same company, Redington also used to be have no idea now though. They wouldn't have to have far to find the experience necessary to make nice rods, the integrated reel has also been done before by Sage/Lamson years ago. Believe it was the SPL rod lineup.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:05 AM, spoonplugger1 said:

Lamson and Sage are from the same company, Redington also used to be have no idea now though. 

Have a source for that info? Far Bank owns Sage, Redington, and Rio. No mention of Waterworks-Lamson in their portfolio.

Sage owned Lamson for about a year or two in the late '90's or early 2000's.  That was in the days of the LP series and the saltwater series.  Mr. Rover is correct on what is in that ownership group today.