TGIF Harpswell

Fly rod blanks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey, 

Anyone here a rod builder, or more specially a fly rod builder?

i am looking for a 9-10’ 9wt to throw big flies. Aside from Sage and TFO, there is an overwhelming number of brands I don’t know. I want a fisherman’s rod, not something pretty, but something that can chuck. I don’t care about pretty or name branded but struggling to make sense of the competing views. 

Any recommendations?

I would go 10 or 11 for big flies 9 seems to be a tweener rod unless you only want 1 rod . I did this years ago and found it under powered 

My salt setups are 8 10 and 12 fished Maine to Florida caught schoolie bass to bones and tarpon those 3 rods you can do almost everything in saltwater unless you start talking tuna and marlin that's a whole different ballgame.  I have and 11 cheaper rod with a cheaper piscfun fly reel for muskie that don't run all that much so big drag not important 3 spool with floater,slow sink and deep water line I think that reel was like 40 bucks and spools 20 machined aluminum reel just not a strong drag

You can always use a floater with some short 2 to 5 ft sections of lc13 looped on end turns it into sink tip intermediate or go the shooting head setup only have to deal with a 30 ft head easily stored in a wallet most versatile setup but some people just like full lines so extra spools are used good luck with your setups. I fish abels so spools very expensive and difficult to change in the field at night so I go with heads for stripers

I use a 10 for big flies. I built one on a low priced blank from Ye Olde English Fly Shop in Islamorada that has served me well. Moderate fast action. I used single foot guides, which I always do. I'm pretty utilitarian and this was what I needed. It's not a Scott Tidal weight wise, but I can throw as much line with either. I think I built it for under $200.

9 hours ago, TGIF Harpswell said:

Build. 

I use sage blanks. Being on a budget makes it difficult. TFO has a blank program, I'm not sure if the Axiom II is available as a blank yet, but you could certainly do worse. Rainshadow is another reasonably priced option. Personally, if I wanted a performance rod and didn't want to drop a morgage payment on a blank, I'd try to dig up something recently discontinued (method/one/Xi3). 

I'm almost done building my son a 9weight revelation (rainshadow/Batson).  I threw it the other day in the yard with a rio intermediate line.  Casts well.  We shall see this year when they come up.

I'm building myself a CTS one later this summer when it comes in.

On 4/10/2021 at 0:43 PM, Loudog said:

Rainshadow and Forecast blanks are a solid choice.  Can be had for $50 -$85 depending on 2pc vs 4pc.  It’s all I use for graphite fly rods.

I 2nd this.. I don't have any fly blanks but have built a dozen or so from the Rainshadow series and love them. They do a good job with their actions and moderate to even slower action blanks. I love moderate action rods and why I have been building my own. 

Edited by NHAngler

Mike McFarland (www.McFarlandflyrods.com) has been my go to for fly rod blanks.  Sometimes he has blanks with a cosmetic blem that he will let go at a discounted price. While he is most known for this fiberglass tapers, his graphite tapers are also exceptional.  I have his 81/2ft 6wt GTX glass blank and 8ft 8in 8wt Perpetual glass blank built out for saltwater.  Love em both but the GTX is really amazing.  Think blank, light it hand, fast tip recovery and a great feel. I would reach out to Mike, let him know what you are looking for and see if he may have something on hand ready to go.  
The  9ft 5wt  Tailwind graphite taper blank that I have is also great and I imagine a  8 or 9wt Tailwind blank would make a great salt / flats rod.