NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Help!

Rate this topic

Dan Tinman

3 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I took the boating safety class(in-person) a couple years ago and one thing the instructor stressed was how important it is to get the title to a trailer. 

also i don't think one needs the endorsement on their driver's license. One gets a card from the state police when they pass the test. It's not like was 20 years ago

Got titles for both the boat and trailer.  

15 mins ago, adams54 said:

You only need an endorsement if you plan on operating in a non-tidal body of water. Everywhere else not needed. Not sure what the OP is using it on.  Also not sure why NJ does this. Money grab perhaps?

Thanks for reminding me of that.  I do plan to use it in non-tidal waters eventually.  That gives me some time to take care of it.

-

If your trailer doesn't weight over 2500# or so, you don't have a title for it, you have a certificate of origin.

I did this in January. I have a 15' skiff and a trailer, both were registered in NJ by the previous owner. I have the title, I had a bill of sale, and I have the certificate of origin for the trailer. They showed me the door because the bill of sale wasn't notarized and that was the end of it, I had to hunt down the guy I bought the boat off in September and get it notarized. They also didn't like that I didn't seperate the trailer from the boat which is stupid and I had to do that too. They also tried asking me for the previous owners registration which is just insane.

It's total BS, but I literally just went through this. You might want to save yourself a second trip and just get the thing notarized. I asked on my boating groups and some people get away without it notarized and some people don't, because this is NJ.

Edited by hurricane1091

54 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

If your trailer doesn't weight over 2500# or so, you don't have a title for it, you have a certificate of origin.

I did this in January. I have a 15' skiff and a trailer, both were registered in NJ by the previous owner. I have the title, I had a bill of sale, and I have the certificate of origin for the trailer. They showed me the door because the bill of sale wasn't notarized and that was the end of it, I had to hunt down the guy I bought the boat off in September and get it notarized. They also didn't like that I didn't seperate the trailer from the boat which is stupid and I had to do that too. They also tried asking me for the previous owners registration which is just insane.

It's total BS, but I literally just went through this. You might want to save yourself a second trip and just get the thing notarized. I asked on my boating groups and some people get away without it notarized and some people don't, because this is NJ.

Thanks for the heads up.  Getting a bill of sale, notarized or not is an impossibility.  The guy I bought it from has fled New Jersey and I have no way of finding him.  I can see this is going to be a fun time.

-

35 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Getting a bill of sale, notarized or not is an impossibility.  The guy I bought it from has fled New Jersey and I have no way of finding him.  I can see this is going to be a fun time.

I hope it goes well. I don't understand why notarization is needed, it's bogus. Seems like it depends on the dmv worker

20 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Can't tow a trailer without plates.  

Meh. Don't have an old plate kicking around you can throw on?

Years ago, I built a 4x4x8 windsurfing trailer.  Lost the plate, threw an old one on.  Think I went the better part of 9 years without registering it, and I dragged it multiple times a week.  Pulled over once or twice too.  I honestly don't think the cops give a crap about that.

At least until you get things straight.

48 mins ago, makorider said:

Meh. Don't have an old plate kicking around you can throw on?

Years ago, I built a 4x4x8 windsurfing trailer.  Lost the plate, threw an old one on.  Think I went the better part of 9 years without registering it, and I dragged it multiple times a week.  Pulled over once or twice too.  I honestly don't think the cops give a crap about that.

At least until you get things straight.

Worst case buy a cheapie harbor freight trailer and you'll have all the paperwork you need for registration. Only you will know. Curious to hear how it works out without a notarized bill of sale. I tried it once and they showed me the door. Hunting down someone for a favor AFTER theyve gotten paid is no picnic. It is totally up to the "agent" but they arent paid or given incentive to think outside the box so they never do. This was always a major pita in normal times. Now if you get it wrong youre waiting another 3 weeks to try again. 

Edited by adams54

Just now, adams54 said:

Worst case buy a cheapie harbor freight trailer and you'll have all the paperwork you need for registration. Only you will know.

I actually built mine from scratch, only things I bought were an axle and springs.  It was pretty trick, all welded steel, 2 recessed/flush doors, and a similar dropping tailgate, gasketed and water tight, with racks for 8 boards on top.  Big wide balloon tires so I could drag in on the beach behind my jeep.  Built like a brick shithouse, as the ride up 95 in the blizzard of (95 or 96?) proved bouncing it off abandoned cars on 95 in Virginia...couple scuffs but no dents....but thats another story alltogether

Point is I had zero paperwork.

Bogied up an invoice from my fathers company with a made up VIN

worked fine

10 mins ago, makorider said:

I actually built mine from scratch, only things I bought were an axle and springs.  It was pretty trick, all welded steel, 2 recessed/flush doors, and a similar dropping tailgate, gasketed and water tight, with racks for 8 boards on top.  Big wide balloon tires so I could drag in on the beach behind my jeep.  Built like a brick shithouse, as the ride up 95 in the blizzard of (95 or 96?) proved bouncing it off abandoned cars on 95 in Virginia...couple scuffs but no dents....but thats another story alltogether

Point is I had zero paperwork.

Bogied up an invoice from my fathers company with a made up VIN

worked fine

Sounds like a fun project. Always wanted to build one from scratch. The process seems difficult as they wanted plans, reciepts, etc. How long ago was this when you did this DIY through the motor vehicle?

37 mins ago, adams54 said:

Sounds like a fun project. Always wanted to build one from scratch. The process seems difficult as they wanted plans, reciepts, etc. How long ago was this when you did this DIY through the motor vehicle?

1993 I think

But it wouldnt much matter...if you went and bought a new boat trailer, they will give you bill of sale, with VIN

You go register

Basically what I did

The only reason I would not be able to do it now is because I had an employee, a professional welder help me.  I cant weld for crap

On 4/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, Spigola said:

Keep this in mind.  NJ sucks.  Every day i regret having my wife talk me into moving here about 13 years ago.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, Dan Tinman said:

Been here most of my life.  It's hard to forget it sucks.

NJ is great. Good hunting, good fishing, beautiful mtns. & beaches. It's the govt. & most of the people that suck.