Dan Tinman

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Help!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

So I bought a tin boat/outboard engine and trailer.  Took the online boat operators course and passed the test.  Now I want to transfer the titles and register the boat and trailer and get my boat operators endorsement.  So far so good.  Now I'm trying to get all this stuff done at the MVC and hit a solid stop.  You can't do this stuff without an appointment.  I've tried to do that on the website but it says none are available just about anywhere.  Can't even make one for another day.  

Anybody have an idea on how to do this?

I just registered a boat. My local DMV wasn't doing registration/title transfers. Hazlet was the closest doing them and I had to make the appointment for a couple weeks out as nothing closer was available. Make sure you have a notarized bill of sale for the trailer. I didn't and couldn't register it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had to schedule it weeks out and not at my local dmv. You do need a notarized bill of sale but I seriously don't understand why. Some people get away without it. I've never done a notarized bill of sale on cars and never had a problem.

Oh, and they gave me a hard time for having just one bill of sale for the boat and trailer, so I had to break it out on two lines saying I paid X for the boat and Y for the trailer. This states a joke. My brother down in SC just mailed his form in and got it back the next week all ready to go. Government overreach up here is real.

Edited by hurricane1091

Thanks for the info.  I just made an appointment for the boat & trailer titles etc.  The operators endorsement is another thing.  It seems there's no where I can make an appointment to get that.  

Government overreach up here is real.

You're right.  Not only is it overreach it's also non functioning.  

I have been trying to register a used car I bought in early March. I have made 4 appointments at 3 different MVC offices. The first 3 were canceled by MVC. The 4th is coming up next week, I am hoping for the best. What a mess.......

3 hours ago, Eric_S said:

I just registered a boat. My local DMV wasn't doing registration/title transfers. Hazlet was the closest doing them and I had to make the appointment for a couple weeks out as nothing closer was available. Make sure you have a notarized bill of sale for the trailer. I didn't and couldn't register it.

Woof I bought a new trailer last year and have been putting this off.  Was it a huge pain?

4 hours ago, Eric_S said:

Make sure you have a notarized bill of sale for the trailer. I didn't and couldn't register it.

I opted for the homemade trailer route.  They gave me a Vin number, no problem.

I have to amend my previous post. The notarized bill of sale for the trailer was needed because I didn’t have a title for it. I only had the old registration. I believe if you have the title then the bill of sale is not needed. I didn’t need a bill of sale to register the boat, as I had the title. 

My buddy bought a 23 parker in late May last year, went through August if not later on old owner's registration.  His insurance didn't have a problem with that, nor the old owner

I don't think anyone is busting chops on paperwork nowadays, certainly not a little tin boat

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Woof I bought a new trailer last year and have been putting this off.  Was it a huge pain?

Once there, it was much more efficient than pre covid. My wife and I scheduled appointments for the same time on the same day. She needed to do something for her car. We were both in and out in maybe 30-40min? I wouldn’t mind if they kept it to appointments in the future.

45 mins ago, Eric_S said:

Once there, it was much more efficient than pre covid. My wife and I scheduled appointments for the same time on the same day. She needed to do something for her car. We were both in and out in maybe 30-40min? I wouldn’t mind if they kept it to appointments in the future.

It's a 3 week wait to get an appointment.  That's an improvement?

46 mins ago, makorider said:

My buddy bought a 23 parker in late May last year, went through August if not later on old owner's registration.  His insurance didn't have a problem with that, nor the old owner

I don't think anyone is busting chops on paperwork nowadays, certainly not a little tin boat

Can't tow a trailer without plates.  

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

I took the boating safety class(in-person) a couple years ago and one thing the instructor stressed was how important it is to get the title to a trailer. 

also i don't think one needs the endorsement on their driver's license. One gets a card from the state police when they pass the test. It's not like was 20 years ago

1 hour ago, Dan Tinman said:

Spending a half hour there instead of a half day is the improvement. The appointment system accomplishes that. 

2 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I took the boating safety class(in-person) a couple years ago and one thing the instructor stressed was how important it is to get the title to a trailer. 

also i don't think one needs the endorsement on their driver's license. One gets a card from the state police when they pass the test. It's not like was 20 years ago

You only need an endorsement if you plan on operating in a non-tidal body of water. Everywhere else not needed. Not sure what the OP is using it on.  Also not sure why NJ does this. Money grab perhaps?