isleomaniac

flexible glue or cement?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Wondering if there is a waterproof glue that would remain flexible for tying small flies?  I want to lightly coat the fine thread before wrapping.

Posted (edited) · Report post

use gorilla glue clear grip. never using epoxy again...  I use it on heads too.  soft flexible permanent. 

0-1.png

Edited by fvgourami3

I've been using Liquid Fusion for everything these days.  Water soluble (when wet), waterproof after it dries, flexible, strong.  Oh, and odorless.

Thanks for those reco's.  I am still leary of going into any stores to buy stuff due to covid, so I have been ordering everything online.  I was able to use some flexible Barge cement that I already had.  After coloring the head and tail with a black sharpy I just used a tiny amount to those spots to help hold the rest of the materials together.  Tiny San Juan worms, #s16, 14, and 12. 

I also use Liquid Fusion  - just need to let it dry more than 24 hours or else it can turn a little milky. I also cut liquid fusion with grain alcohol to a watery consistency for a thin head cement

On 4/8/2021 at 8:21 AM, MooreLyonQuick said:

I also cut liquid fusion with grain alcohol to a watery consistency for a thin head cement

I do this with plain old water.  Works a charm.

There's a product called Tear Mender. I use it when I want some flexible adhesive for eyes to stick through hair or other materials. Here's a description:

INSTANT DURABLE BOND: Adhesive dries and forms and instant bond that is flexible and usable/wearable within 3 minutes and washable in 15 minutes

NON-TOXIC FORMULA: Formulated with natural latex the glue is acid-free and non-toxic

USE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS: Ideally suited for repairs on clothing, leather, upholstery, home décor, sport/marine gear and more!

It can be found on that online shopping store that was originally famous for books. Available in several quantities, so I'd get the least expensive and give it a try.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, South Shore Fly said:

There's a product called Tear Mender. I use it when I want some flexible adhesive for eyes to stick through hair or other materials. Here's a description:

INSTANT DURABLE BOND: Adhesive dries and forms and instant bond that is flexible and usable/wearable within 3 minutes and washable in 15 minutes

NON-TOXIC FORMULA: Formulated with natural latex the glue is acid-free and non-toxic

USE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS: Ideally suited for repairs on clothing, leather, upholstery, home décor, sport/marine gear and more!

It can be found on that online shopping store that was originally famous for books. Available in several quantities, so I'd get the least expensive and give it a try.

Tear Mender is great for some things and so-so for others.     

A nice "rubbery" adhesive that dries quickly, actually almost too quickly for my liking as working time is pretty limited.

Tear Mender is my go to for prepping bulk materials that I purchase from the hair product manufacturers.   Too often they come packaged in large bulk with just elastic bands and the next thing you know you have fibers, loose hairs, strands everywhere.    I breakdown bunches of wig hair, tinsel, etc into workable handy bunches and cinch with a cable tie and then I saturate the end to hold it all together with Tear Mender.   Cable ties can then be removed if preferred.   Holds these bunches together nicely as I snip what I need when tying. 

Tear Mender darkens after a short while (per the following photo).   If you are looking for a clear solution Tear Mender is not the best option.

HT

tearmender.jpg.984e647edb051b0ad99f5334da971635.jpg

Edited by HillTop

I put a minute film of gorilla glue on my shock leaders when threading the main line thru hollow core....it remains flexible and doesn't wash out in salt water

On 4/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, JCH said:

I do this with plain old water.  Works a charm.

I used to do that but it would eventually thicken up again - doesn't do that with the grain alcohol. Also, it dries faster. 

1 hour ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

I used to do that but it would eventually thicken up again - doesn't do that with the grain alcohol. Also, it dries faster. 

Are you using everclear for the grain alcohol?

I use water as well but I like the sound of no evaporation.