Ideas for DIY "luggage" to check 2 pc kayak paddles & rods?

Rate this topic

gellfex

Just now, gellfex said:

Here's United's policy. As you say, the question is do they give a damn.

It's funny their fishing gear policy is 2 rods and 1 tackle box. Did these guys ever actually meet a fisherman before they wrote this crap?

•  

I've flown united, american and jet blue with it.  Each multiple times. American the most, maybe 10-12X with it.  They all say the same, they all act the same in the end.

Do it, wear a golf shirt when you check in if you are worried

18 mins ago, makorider said:

wear a golf shirt when you check in if you are worried

LOL!  I'm doing it, I just have great faith in the American Worker's ability to be a ginormous anus given the opportunity. I've had other airline kayak and fishing gear problems, but those were less 'contained' than a closed golf case.

Just took my landing net apart to cut the loop and install a ferrule joint to make it fold in half.

Edited by gellfex

20 mins ago, gellfex said:

LOL!  I'm doing it, I just have great faith in the American Worker's ability to be a ginormous anus given the opportunity. I've had other airline kayak and fishing gear problems, but those were less 'contained' than a closed golf case.

Just took my landing net apart to cut the loop and install a ferrule joint to make it fold in half.

and the ping hat!  For god's sake, don't forget the hat Mr Golfer

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, makorider said:

Thats the way to go.  Another benefit - airlines usually charge extra for sporting equipment while golfers get the sweet deal although that is starting to change somewhat.  IE someone can check a golf bag for $25, my kitesurfing board costs $125.  I actually have this mammoth bag that I can fit by twintip board, 2-3 kites, a harness, and two control bars in with the words 'GOLF' emblazened as big and bold as possible on each side of the bag to get around the charges.  Or two adult bodies, its that big, but so far has worked and I've only paid golfers rates.  Knock on wood.

What happens if something is broken or stolen out of golf bag. Used to happen to our surfboards all the time. Until we lined the coffin bag with door skin, and zip tied the zippers. 

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

37 mins ago, Shag said:

What happens if something is broken or stolen out of golf bag. Used to happen to our surfboards all the time. Until we lined the coffin bag with door skin, and zip tied the zippers. 

Really have not had that happen.  Don't know if zip ties will help, I always seem to get love letters saying Homeland Security was here...maybe the bars with all the dyneema wrapped around them look like something on xray?.  Unless you kite....there is nothing you really want.

Though, one time coming back from Puerto Rico my wife's bag never showed.  Turns out she put a video camera in it that wouldn't fit back in the carry on.  Anyhow, months later, we get a call, "Is this Margaret blah blah blah?"

Turns out, airport employees must have stolen it, apparently some guy went golfing and his golf bags were full of my wife's panties, bras. and her epi-pen which is how they tracked her down.  Kind a wish I was there at the club to watch that, or at home with his wife lol

Edited by makorider

8 hours ago, makorider said:

Really have not had that happen.  Don't know if zip ties will help, I always seem to get love letters saying Homeland Security was here...maybe the bars with all the dyneema wrapped around them look like something on xray?.  Unless you kite....there is nothing you really want.

Though, one time coming back from Puerto Rico my wife's bag never showed.  Turns out she put a video camera in it that wouldn't fit back in the carry on.  Anyhow, months later, we get a call, "Is this Margaret blah blah blah?"

Turns out, airport employees must have stolen it, apparently some guy went golfing and his golf bags were full of my wife's panties, bras. and her epi-pen which is how they tracked her down.  Kind a wish I was there at the club to watch that, or at home with his wife lol

I know it’s off topic, but do you kite up towards Isabella? There was a windsurf launch up

there, that I’m sure is a great kite launch called Shacks. Most of my windsurf friends have all changed over to kiting. Not sure these old bones could handle it. I always add a few zip ties threaded through a crease of webbing near the zip. I tie with one color and leave different one for HS or Customs to zip back on. They usually do.

Edited by Shag

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

1 hour ago, Shag said:

I know it’s off topic, but do you kite up towards Isabella? There was a windsurf launch up

there, that I’m sure is a great kite launch called Shacks. Most of my windsurf friends have all changed over to kiting. Not sure these old bones could handle it. I always add a few zip ties threaded through a crease of webbing near the zip. I tie with one color and leave different one for HS or Customs to zip back on. They usually do.

PR was always for work...never made it out there though I had plans.  But that bag has been all through the carribean and even Maui without issue.  Sent you a PM

FWIW, on the way down I put a zip tie on one of the latches of the golf case. It was still there. Not going to stop anybody who really wants to get in, but at least I know if somebody has.

The logistics for this trip worked out better than the fishing, oh well...