flyangler

Anyone every twist together 2, 3 or 4 metallic threads for blended look?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Still playing with that Andromeda reel seat and abalone build. Getting the guides has turned into a bit of a quest but that's another story. 

I am "auditioning" metallic threads which should not be a difficult thing, except for the color-shifting Andromeda (green, blue, purple) and the color range of the abalone. 

I thought about how to combine colors without going with varigated, striped or otherwise 2-tone threads. Braiding (like hair) did not work with Hitena A thread, too thin and the colors are indistinguishable. 

Then I thought of twisting two or three threads together to make a larger, varied color "thread" and got some very different effects.

Two questions: 

First, has anyone done this and were you satisfied with the end result once finished? 

Second, can you see any downside to doing this? 

My quick tests with Hitena Vivid metallic threads except for the blue which is ProThread, left to right:

Left: Green & blue

Middle: Green, blue & purple

Right: Gree, blue, purple and pink

Shown with the seat and a piece of the abalone. The samples look better in person than through iPhone photo.

IMG_3783.jpeg.8144ad98732ab1dd5327b58cc01166bc.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg.b4b6f9d6d8ce66ea028de5120c66cbf2.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg.b0210832a594889a95b83ebe16ebc0e6.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg.e43b21b9b079f9c9e38314dcf6737be1.jpeg

No one? 

There must be a reason. Yes, you have to worry about the foil pulling away from the internal carrier thread but that appears to be a matter of twisting "with" the grain of the foil on the thread. 

21 hours ago, TrevorE said:

I wouldn't twist them together.  Just wrap them straight like a tiger.  The color moves quite well

Thanks. Probably not going to do this after all.

On 4/11/2021 at 0:56 AM, TrevorE said:

I wouldn't twist them together.  Just wrap them straight like a tiger.  The color moves quite well

this way!!

On 4/11/2021 at 0:56 AM, TrevorE said:

1 hour ago, tbush said:

this way!!

So I exchanged emails with Bill Falconer who knows the Andromeda color and has wrapped to complement it. He said his recommended choices are just two, neither with twisted strands. He said he either uses just Hitena Aurora Black (which is a blue/green when epoxied) or, more likely, a combo of Aurora Black plus Hitena Noble Metallic in Violet, which is a variegated thread. He wraps them side-by-side rather than twisted and when laid down and epoxied, provide the closest to the purple, blue, green combo I was seeking. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I was actively building I did this frequently. Usually used Guebrod D metallic 5-6 different colours twisted as a highlight or boarder to make the design stand out. Customers always liked it. 

Edited by XBMX

On 4/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, XBMX said:

When I was actively building I did this frequently. Usually used Guebrod D metallic 5-6 different colours twisted as a highlight or boarder to make the design stand out. Customers always liked it. 

I still have some Black and metallic D thread.  Also the twisted Red and white , blue and white  and the green and white 

On 4/19/2021 at 10:42 AM, RWP said:

Two option from prowrap, both are pretty cool and have great results.

ProWrap-Metallic-Braid-Thread_media-3.jpg

ProWrap-Metallic-Versablend-100yd_media-3.jpg

I have looked at those type threads as well as the slightly more subtle Hitena variegated versions. That is not the look I was showing in the OP. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, XBMX said:

1 min ago, ccb said:

I still have some Black and metallic D thread.  Also the twisted Red and white , blue and white  and the green and white 

XBMX, that's the thinking I was having, using it as a highlight as a trim or inlay. I might play with something once the wrapping starts but I think keeping that build to gold trims might be the best thing without making it look like a circa-1975 pimp's rod. 

I have been thinking about this variation on the Trelikes Olive Branch using some combination of nylon blue-green and purple size D in the center and then a double-twisted metallic blue-green and purple in size A as the inlays and gold trim. If you look carefully below, he used size D for the black, red, white and blue and size A gold as the trims. Since I don't have the colored metallics in D, I can twist them together and get a thicker profile. I might also do two rotation inlay to make it stand out a bit more. 

1004539-98b3243e52cf3a6a8d69be910dc3a957

You can find the full tutorial for the above at bloooody decks (censor hit the real name). Just search google for 

A variation of the J.T.O.B. Inlay (Tutorial)