fishless

Who makes a mini darter?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Sadly when we lost Bill Couch we not only lost a good person but the builder of a Spring time plug that became very effective for me, his mini darter and his pond darter.  I realized last month on my 1st outing that I am down to my last of these plugs.  I'm trying to recall who makes something similar in that 3 to 3.5 in size that can help to fill the void but I'm drawing blanks.  Anyone with a suggestion?

Gibbs makes a pretty small darter that's 1 5/8 oz. I haven't had a Bill Couch 3-3.5 in my hand to know the exact size, but that Gibbs could be worth a look and somewhat easy to find.

4 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Gibbs makes a pretty small darter that's 1 5/8 oz. I haven't had a Bill Couch 3-3.5 in my hand to know the exact size, but that Gibbs could be worth a look and somewhat easy to find.

This and beach master and striper bites. 

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

This and beach master and striper bites. 

Beachmaster did come to mind and I'm certain I have a couple somewhere in the inventory.  I didn't know Jeff also did something similar.  I'll have to look into those.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, fishless said:

Beachmaster did come to mind and I'm certain I have a couple somewhere in the inventory.  I didn't know Jeff also did something similar.  I'll have to look into those.   

Ignore my comment. i'm an idiot

What's wrong with a mag darter though?  serious question

Edited by Goldy

9 mins ago, Goldy said:

Ignore my comment. i'm an idiot

What's wrong with a mag darter though?  serious question

I'm pulling it behind the kayak and it has a different action.  Honestly I'm not sure if I'll find one that had the movement of the CCW.  That one seemed to work late March when almost any other plugged failed.  But I'll start with trying to find a similar profile and take it from there. 

6 hours ago, fishless said:

Sadly when we lost Bill Couch we not only lost a good person but the builder of a Spring time plug that became very effective for me, his mini darter and his pond darter.  I realized last month on my 1st outing that I am down to my last of these plugs.  I'm trying to recall who makes something similar in that 3 to 3.5 in size that can help to fill the void but I'm drawing blanks.  Anyone with a suggestion?

SuperStrike is decent from a Yak. Mike's Custom Plugs does a small Darter also. 

Tattoo did small-ish ones also, may be able to find them here & there. 

My top Yak Trolling lure is a Jointed Chicken Scratch Bomber & for larger profiles Mike makes a jointed Troller that is as good a plug as you will ever find. Does them in two sizes also.

@fishless

yo buddy. Believe I have a couple mini darters in the garage. Not sure who the hell the builder was. They were similar to the pond darter. Maybe a hair longer but similar weight. They caught fish but they haven’t left the garage since I started buying pond darters. If I can find them I’ll dig them out, you can have one. 

2 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

@fishless

yo buddy. Believe I have a couple mini darters in the garage. Not sure who the hell the builder was. They were similar to the pond darter. Maybe a hair longer but similar weight. They caught fish but they haven’t left the garage since I started buying pond darters. If I can find them I’ll dig them out, you can have one. 

Thanks brother.  I saw early on what was going on with the price gauging and refused to play that game.  Figured it was time to try and find an alternative 

17 mins ago, fishless said:

Thanks brother.  I saw early on what was going on with the price gauging and refused to play that game.  Figured it was time to try and find an alternative 

No problem Bob. I don’t blame you. Im

lucky to have a couple pond darters. One of my favorites from Bill. Looked around in the garage a little while ago. No luck yet. I will keep you posted brotha. Hope all is well. 

Is the small Yozuri too large? Thats the smallest I own, 4", 1/2 oz. I'd think?

Never fished a small darter, like the idear', seems like it would be better after the water warms a little and things become more active.