coastalfreak

Stupid Baitcaster Question

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I find myself fishing with small live and dead baits on Carolina rigs in the 1/2 to 1.5 oz range more and more, and I’m often throwing live shrimp into small channels or around bridge pilings. I prefer to use a baitcaster for this due to the torque increase and better casting accuracy (at least for me) over a spinner. I’m also getting back into the artificial game, throwing spinnerbaits and paddletails in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range. 

Im currently fishing an older H2O Express Mettle reel. It’s been great to me but I can tell it’s dying a slow painful death. Looking to purchase a new reel. 

Anyway, here’s the weird part. New reels are getting too sleek, modern, and stylish for my taste. Just my opinion, I can see why others like em. Almost all reels I’ve looked at are starting to fit this bill and I’m just wondering if there’s any reels that have this older, more traditional low pro look. At this point I’m thinking of buying an old school green curado and being done with it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Obviously, functionality is more important than anything but I’m just curious. 

I figure that I’m about to be teased for not liking the looks of the new reels, but it’s just me. I’m a pretty weird dude. :) 

0A72F56F-E329-4AFB-BF0D-204469519081.jpeg

E0891128-B539-4EA6-A637-56EE61AFBC26.jpeg

Edited by coastalfreak

I still use my old style reels. You might be able to find some new Daiwa low pro reels that kind of look like that in their low tier offerings. I can’t say much for the handles though. Most reel handles are bent and full of holes these days. 

If low profile isn't a requirement, you could look at Abu Garcia Ambassadeur "round" reels.  I've been fishing mine in fresh and salt water for many years.  They are robust and reliable.  I simply rinse them after each salt water trip.  They are easy to tear down for detailed cleaning and lube or repair.  Parts are available at reasonable cost.  -Ed

Second on the Abu round reels....have mine a long time using them in  fresh and salt water...maybe able to find them on the for sale forum ...

Also a fan of the round Abus.  I use them quite a bit on my freshwater pike rods, to jig and bait fish for black sea bass, cast jigs to mahi, etc.

It is a little confusing to try and find out if your ABU is made in Sweden, Korea or China with the feedback being that this is the order of quality as well... I tried to keep track of it back when I was selling but today I am not really sure anymore.  If it actually says Made in Sweden on the reel it is, if the box says Engineered in Sweden it is a crapshoot on where it was made. If you go to their website right now the only reel listed as Made in Sweden, or the only reel that shows the crankside faceplate fully where you can see it, is their 100 Anniversary reel.   I did fish the round Swedish ABU's and really liked them alot until I went low profile and filled up on Curados about 15 years ago, which are now my everyday backbay reels for just about everything that swims back there.  For out front I took the leap into Tranx 300's & 400's and are super happy with them as well....

Look at the okuma komodo 273 (or any size really).... the exterior is basically just a plain unfinished looking matte gray... Nothing fancy at all.. they spent zero effort at snazzing up the looks, but the guts are bulletproof

20 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

At this point I’m thinking of buying an old school green curado and being done with it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I want one of those green Curado E too.  However, they are difficult to find and often cost more than a new reel.  Look at the old Shimano Bantam 100.  They function and hold up well and are not expensive.  The Bantam looked space age when it came out.  They were the first low profile reel made after the original Lew's Speed Spool.  Today, the Bantam looks blocky and old school. 

On 4/5/2021 at 0:24 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

Look at the okuma komodo 273 (or any size really).... the exterior is basically just a plain unfinished looking matte gray... Nothing fancy at all.. they spent zero effort at snazzing up the looks, but the guts are bulletproof

Agreed. There is not a more bullet proof small low pro then the Komodo 273SS. Stainless steel from drive shaft to spool shaft topped off by a one piece all metal clutch.

20210304_162724.jpg.65f3170ee5715d6e58341ef195cc7494.jpg

What baitcaster on this planet has a one piece all metal clutch? Lol!

And yeah, the cosmetics of these reels make a chunk of granite look hot and slick.

22 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Agreed. There is not a more bullet proof small low pro then the Komodo 273SS. Stainless steel from drive shaft to spool shaft topped off by a one piece all metal clutch.

20210304_162724.jpg.65f3170ee5715d6e58341ef195cc7494.jpg

What baitcaster on this planet has a one piece all metal clutch? Lol!

And yeah, the cosmetics of these reels make a chunk of granite look hot and slick.

Lots

5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I will rephrase. Low profile bait casters.

Ummmm.... Still lots 

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Ummmm.... Still lots 

Which small low pros are you speaking of? Because I have not seen it.

All the other low pros I have seen and used have either a combination of plastic and/or metal in a couple different pieces to make up the clutch.

The Komodo 273 has a single metal piece that makes up the entire clutch. Unless I am using a different term then commonly used, the piece is refered to specifically as a "clutch cam" in the schematic.

Edited by Beastly Backlash