Auce

Was anyone unemployed prior to the pandemic and received PUA?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'll try to make this as painlessly as possible. Hopefully someone can make some sense of this for me. I was NOT employed prior to the pandemic, I also was not eligible for Unemployment, Only the PUA (Pandemic unemployment assistance). On Match 17th I got this email from the state: 

Updates to your unemployment benefits.

You are currently receiving unemployment benefits available through the federal CARES Act Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program.  

We are writing to inform you that the weeks of unemployment benefits available to you have been increased from 57 weeks total to 75 weeks totalThe number of weeks of PUA benefits available in New Jersey changed from 57 to 75 weeks in March 2021, in accordance with the American Rescue Plan Act and federal regulations related to a state’s continuously high levels of unemployment.  

Because you are coming to the end of your original 57-week benefit period, you will see an increase in the Claim Balance” amount in your unemployment claim status overview. There is nothing you need to do; this increase will happen automatically. 

This morning I received this email from the state:

You are receiving this email because you were paid unemployment benefits through the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. 

Per the federal Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act of 2020, you are now required to submit verification of your income earned or an official work offer prior to the pandemic (in 2019 or 2020) in order to be eligible for PUA.

Failure to respond and provide documentation will result in your claim being disqualified. If your claim is disqualified, you will need to repay all benefits received after December 27, 2020. 

Please complete the four required steps:

1) Sign in

2) Complete the questionnaire

3) Upload the required documentation of your earnings or official work offer

4) Certify your answers and submit

It is essential that you successfully upload the required documentation to verify your income earned or official work offer prior to the pandemic. Please follow the instructions carefully.

This form will expire on: 4/25/2021

By submitting the information on the form, you certify that it is correct and that you have supplied the information voluntarily in order to obtain PANDEMIC UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE.  You understand that Federal Funds are provided and that penalties are prescribed by law for willful misrepresentation or concealment of material facts in order to obtain assistance payments to which you are not entitled to receive under the ACT. 

Before I log on and fill out the questionnaire, has anyone else gone through this? I'm confused as to why I just got an extension last month but now I'm being audited? The state has known the entire time I've been collecting, I've been unemployed.

Sorry for the long read.

Auce

My wife took a voluntary furlough. She was on unemployment first part of covid. Its a very clumsy system. She had to update electronically every week. You may have to call and discuss with the UI office.

Upload a pay stub from the last time you worked, and keep your fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, woowoo2 said:

This goes back 3 years ago. I doubt I'll find one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gotta cross your T's and dot your i's

I filed for 4 weeks when all access local to me was shut down to me. 

I had to appeal 4 times and speak directly to a judge.. Each appeal the director of whatever dept gave some lame reason why I want eligible.  The judge apologized and found in my favor. And that was 5 months after I'd been approved etc. 

Just because it was simple to initially apply for doesn't mean they aren't going to want verification. 

You may want to contact an attorney in case you have to fight it. If you call the unemployment office it may trigger something you don't want triggered. 

Edited by scoobydoo

On 4/5/2021 at 0:31 PM, Auce said:

I thought you had to keep all receipts, stubs, tax forms etc. for 10 years. 

Hopefully you didn’t spend the money you received after 12/27/2020. Sounds like they are going to demand it back. If you have not worked in 3 years it’s not pandemic related.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:07 AM, woowoo2 said:

9 hours ago, ted527 said:

Hopefully you didn’t spend the money you received after 12/27/2020. Sounds like they are going to demand it back. If you have not worked in 3 years it’s not pandemic related.

If you have not worked in 3 years you're not unemployed, you're a bum.

57 mins ago, Chunkah said:

What have you been up to for 3 years? You disabled?

I partly covered this in another thread. I was laid off in late 2018, well my whole department was when they outsourced our jobs to India. Mid 2019 till 2020 I was in school earning a few healthcare certifications. Like I said in another thread, I was not allowed to have taxable income during my schooling or they could pull me from the programs  Upon completing them, work was difficult to find as this was during COVID. I had 2 offers, entry level which were rescinded due to company cutbacks and furloughs. In April 2020 I got an email from the DOL saying I was eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Benefits. (PUA). I've never been on benefits like this before, this is the reason for my post. 

2 hours ago, SB59 said:

If you have not worked in 3 years you're not unemployed, you're a bum.

You don't know me or the first thing about me, douche bag.