coastalfreak

My very first flounder.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My first ever flounder! Was super excited to catch it, I’ve been wanting one for a while. This guy hit live shrimp. Very fortunate to catch one as the population has declined here since the BP Spill in 2010. 

4A1B4F66-1305-4CBA-9F45-3574E2E17122.jpeg

FBF7FECC-71A1-4901-8248-F33B4ADA738B.png

9 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Nice job dude! What state?

Louisiana! Went down to Grand Isle with my folks. One of the barrier islands here. 

This one was a southern, now I need a Summer! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They can be addicting.  I bet you can get some larger from shore there while everyone else is busy with specs and reds

Would make a nice niche fish to chase

State LA record is  13

From a 2015 report 12 plus lbs

p1449150659-1-341x381.jpg

Edited by Captain Ahab

Good going.  Once you find a flounder keep checking back there.  They're picky about the bottom and current, and will wait in line for the best spots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The two live baits that will do the work for a flounder are live shrimp and mudminnows crawling on the bottom, especially in silty water. Good job on that fish. Now you know where they live and what they eat, and you will catch  more.  Getting the time of day right is good too. In my recollection, don’t they bite better right after sunrise and before 10:00 am, and again a couple hours after sunset? 
What type of hook did you use? Was it a O’Shaugnessy, Kahle , or J?

Edited by fishhappy

6 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The two live baits that will do the work for a flounder are live shrimp and mudminnows crawling on the bottom, especially in silty water. Good job on that fish. Now you know where they live and what they eat, and you will catch  more.  Getting the time of day right is good too. In my recollection, don’t they bite better right after sunrise and before 10:00 am, and again a couple hours after sunset? 
What type of hook did you use? Was it a O’Shaugnessy, Kahle , or J?

I actually was using a 1/0 Daiichi Circle Hook. I was mainly going for redfish or sea trout but I was lucky to catch this guy. In the future, I think Kahles may be a good option. 

Just now, coastalfreak said:

I actually was using a 1/0 Daiichi Circle Hook. I was mainly going for redfish or sea trout but I was lucky to catch this guy. In the future, I think Kahles may be a good option. 

Both drum and specs have big mouths, you can go larger with the hooks if you need to.  My rig for flounder includes a flat type sinker, since the bite is normally in slack water or at least a slow moving water, is about 1 or 2 oz, reeling it in with a slight bump bump bump of the sinker, let it sit, and then repeat, nice and slow. 

13 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Both drum and specs have big mouths, you can go larger with the hooks if you need to.  My rig for flounder includes a flat type sinker, since the bite is normally in slack water or at least a slow moving water, is about 1 or 2 oz, reeling it in with a slight bump bump bump of the sinker, let it sit, and then repeat, nice and slow. 

Sounds like a very effective strategy. Thanks for sharing. 

Fricking jig and bucktail those flatties.  They are ambush predators and actually very aggressive (look them up on utube)

I will use a spec style rig with a bucktail and gulp or filet as trailers