mikez2

Spring trout 2021

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, WorcBoy said:

Nice evening on a CMass stream with my son. Fishing was slow but Colin did manage one C&R with several follows or hits. Twitching meal worms was the key. It was great just being out with him. Talked to a nice DCR ranger. Said most guys he talked to were experiencing slow stream fishing. Also said he personally saw a 27" salmon caught at the wachusett.  

Helluva fish if true. :)

46 mins ago, bdowning said:

Helluva fish if true. :)

So another friend and I were talking about it and he  knows the angler. I have not seen a picture. 

Smelt are the key. I just hope the DCR doesn't screw with the smelt population again.

3 hours ago, sandbars said:

Cold today but trout were actively feeding.B35FED9E-45B9-42AE-9972-4595957AAFAC.jpeg.997bd840c0757887a3d2163bd85a010f.jpeg

Trout on ice :)

Great fish. They recently put the broodstock trout in some of the ponds, so it’s probably one of them. I hit it just right last year and landed a few like that in one outing. It was crazy. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

At the other end of the size spectrum, they're putting midgets in the brooks. Babies with parr marks.

That's a 4 weight to put it in perspective. 

Great blue heron was staked out in the pool when we arrived. Expensive bird food.

One really cool thing we observed; while watching a school of suckers spawning, an otter came blasting out of the culvert and swam by right at our feet. Thought it was a giant trout for a second. 

Was amazing to see how fast those suckers disappeared. Got the impression it wasn't the first time they met.

20210422_132432.jpg

20210422_132559.jpg

Edited by mikez2

Finally put some browns in on the north shore. Usually don’t keep browns, but no chance they can holdover in this pond. My one complaint about the stocking program is put the browns in the lakes that they have a chance to holdover in. 

C29DFFEC-8A10-4609-83DC-CDB52CD023DB.jpeg