mikez2

Spring trout 2021

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Fished Sunday evening at a CMass river. Perfect conditions. One bump on a rooster tail and that's it. Tried roostertails in a few colors, Colorado spoon, meal worms and power eggs. 

Only thing I saw was a sucker jumping out of the water. It launched itself completely out of the water 10ft in front of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

Fished Sunday evening at a CMass river. Perfect conditions. One bump on a rooster tail and that's it. Tried roostertails in a few colors, Colorado spoon, meal worms and power eggs. 

Only thing I saw was a sucker jumping out of the water. It launched itself completely out of the water 10ft in front of me. 

I'm hearing this more and more each year. The trout are gone a couple days after being stocked.

Years ago we had really good fishing well into May, and early June.  Last spring I tried a bunch of central Ma rivers in mid May after turkey hunting. One day I caught a 9" rainbow. Otherwise you'd swear the rivers were never stocked. What happens to the fish, or do they all get wiped out as soon as they're released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

Fished Sunday evening at a CMass river. Perfect conditions. One bump on a rooster tail and that's it. Tried roostertails in a few colors, Colorado spoon, meal worms and power eggs. 

Only thing I saw was a sucker jumping out of the water. It launched itself completely out of the water 10ft in front of me. 

My son hit a couple of the recently stocked rivers in north central. Was a chit show. People everywhere, mostly googans. Unlike the ponds, it's not easy to spread out. This was Friday with all the nice weather. 

Saturday we switched it up and turned the four weight loose on the pan fish. He had a helluva day.

BTW, he doesn't wear the mask while we're fishing but for some reason when he does put it on, he likes to leave in on his chin like that. Better than his grimy pockets I guess.

20210410_202710.jpg

20210410_202623.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm hearing this more and more each year. The trout are gone a couple days after being stocked.

Years ago we had really good fishing well into May, and early June.  Last spring I tried a bunch of central Ma rivers in mid May after turkey hunting. One day I caught a 9" rainbow. Otherwise you'd swear the rivers were never stocked. What happens to the fish, or do they all get wiped out as soon as they're released?

I can only speak for the squanacook, and then only because I spend alot of time there doing other stuff.

It seems there just isn't enough good holding water once warm weather comes. There are only so many pools that have the depth and cover and those pools get hammered. 

 

Last year in May we were wading up the river and came to the confluence of a cold water brook. There were at least 20 rainbows schooled up in the mouth of the brook. We were not fishing. 

Unfortunately, a farmer owns the land where the lower brook flows through. He has an irrigation pump in a dug pool only a couple hundred yards up stream from the river. By late June barely a trickle was flowing into the river. Needless to say, the trout were gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm hearing this more and more each year. The trout are gone a couple days after being stocked.

Years ago we had really good fishing well into May, and early June.  Last spring I tried a bunch of central Ma rivers in mid May after turkey hunting. One day I caught a 9" rainbow. Otherwise you'd swear the rivers were never stocked. What happens to the fish, or do they all get wiped out as soon as they're released?

I was   several  hundred yards downstream from a bridge that gets stocked. Usually this pool holds nice fish. Water levels/ flow was below normal for this time of year. Not sure if the fish cant get over the little beaver dams built up.....talked to one guy that started at the bridge and worked his way down. NOTHING. 

It was still nice being out with no crowds. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A combination of warmer water, otters, fishing pressure, cormorants, more pumping of ground water which lowers flow and raises temps, and nitrogen load all seem to be conspiring against us. Also the loss of Hemlocks due to adelgids are contributing to warmer trout streams. 

 

Fishing is cool/retro/trendy. Lots of folks have been out at it the last 5-10 years. I’m hoping it becomes uncool again shortly.


I’ve taken up fly fishing after a 7 year (mostly) break, not one fish on a spinning rod this year. If I go warm water fishing I have the entire place to myself. Trout ponds tend to get crowded, even on weekdays.

 

I fished a warm water pond Saturday, caught a dozen fish in 40 minutes. I missed at least as many.  In two weeks the bass will be on surface flies. It’s an easy choice.

 

That being said, stream trout have a special place in my heart, so after the stocky chasers are done, there will be some May and June pilgrimages to rivers where one can fish alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice evening on a CMass stream with my son. Fishing was slow but Colin did manage one C&R with several follows or hits. Twitching meal worms was the key. It was great just being out with him. Talked to a nice DCR ranger. Said most guys he talked to were experiencing slow stream fishing. Also said he personally saw a 27" salmon caught at the wachusett.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got out to the Ware last Sunday morning.  It was my first time on the river.  I did manage a few rainbows swinging a bead head woolly bugger near a popular bridge and found some nice smaller water a few miles upstream that produced 2 more bows that were willing to play.  Water levels are low in our rivers.  Happy we have some raining for the next 24 hours.  We need more.  
The crowds on the Swift and their lack of etiquette have largely turned me off.  I have my quiet spots that I will still fish away from everyone else but am enjoying exploring new to me water on our freestone streams.  Hopefully we’ll get some more rain so our trout will still be around and playful for the evening hatches of late spring/early summer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was nice being alone with my son last night. Not that we talked a lot while fishing but still quality time. If we have to do some bush whacking/mud walking to get away from people all the better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Mass Trout said:

I got out to the Ware last Sunday morning.  It was my first time on the river.  I did manage a few rainbows swinging a bead head woolly bugger near a popular bridge and found some nice smaller water a few miles upstream that produced 2 more bows that were willing to play.  Water levels are low in our rivers.  Happy we have some raining for the next 24 hours.  We need more.  
The crowds on the Swift and their lack of etiquette have largely turned me off.  I have my quiet spots that I will still fish away from everyone else but am enjoying exploring new to me water on our freestone streams.  Hopefully we’ll get some more rain so our trout will still be around and playful for the evening hatches of late spring/early summer.  

When you say the Swift, are you talking about the Belchertown Swift or the Petersham Swift? 

Friends of mine tell me the Belchertown Swift has all the decorum of the canal in July.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

When you say the Swift, are you talking about the Belchertown Swift or the Petersham Swift? 

Friends of mine tell me the Belchertown Swift has all the decorum of the canal in July.  

Belchertown Swift.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob_G said:

When you say the Swift, are you talking about the Belchertown Swift or the Petersham Swift? 

Friends of mine tell me the Belchertown Swift has all the decorum of the canal in July.  

IMO I would agree that the Swift is getting like the canal. Only difference I find is that the Swift Googans have a lot more expensive gear, and like the canal I will no longer fish there either. I have been fishing my whole life. It is by far my favorite past time and I'll will not allow bad behavior ruin it. I'd rather fish where it might not be as good alone or with a few respective people than put up with the crowds. But that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.