mikez2

Spring trout 2021

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

Maybe? Tough to tell. They had stocked that pond with browns about a week and a half prior. Most of the fresh stocked browns I had been getting were smaller variety. I struggle to tell hold over vs stockie unless they have major fin damage from rubbing the tanks 

Yeah it can be hard to tell. I feel like I can usually tell by the body shape and colors but I'm probably not always right.

If you know they recently stocked browns then it might be one of those.

In my case, I know they haven't stocked any browns this year in my pond so it's a safe bet ours were holdovers. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Holdover or new hatchery food?

IMG_20210405_111311.jpg

I catch them with meat like that all the time after the truck rolls out. they feed them pellets that turn their meat redish. 

10 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I catch them with meat like that all the time after the truck rolls out. they feed them pellets that turn their meat redish. 

That's what I thought.  The hatchery guys told me they fed them  shrimp based pellets, hence the pink color. But all the rest of the trout I've kept this year have been pastey white?

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

That's what I thought.  The hatchery guys told me they fed them  shrimp based pellets, hence the pink color. But all the rest of the trout I've kept this year have been pastey white?

people always say holdovers are red meat but it's the complete opposite. fish that have been in the system for a while start to get a paler flesh. 

The brook trout are pale and the rainbows orange/pink. Every trout I’ve cut this year have been like this. What ever they are feeding them really worked though because they taste good with no muddiness. 

19 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

people always say holdovers are red meat but it's the complete opposite. fish that have been in the system for a while start to get a paler flesh. 

I don't think you can make that as a blanket statement for all systems. 

It really depends on the diet, how long the fish lives, which species, and probably other factors. 

I  have definitely caught many holdover rainbows that had very pink, salmon-like colored meat.

I tend to keep them more often when ice fishing, in ponds that don't usually get fall stocked. Even if I couldn't tell a holdover (I usually can), I can be sure any trout I catch has been in there for a good amount of time. 

Back many years ago when I kept wild brookies, they always had the pink flesh.

It used to be that freshly stocked fish had the colorless meat. Now it seems they come off the truck with pink meat. At least that's what people are saying. 

Trout is not my favorite to eat. When I eat one it's almost always cooked on the fire, either while ice fishing or early/late season when nobody is around and a shore fire doesn't attract trouble. 

35 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I don't think you can make that as a blanket statement for all systems. 

It really depends on the diet, how long the fish lives, which species, and probably other factors. 

I  have definitely caught many holdover rainbows that had very pink, salmon-like colored meat.

I tend to keep them more often when ice fishing, in ponds that don't usually get fall stocked. Even if I couldn't tell a holdover (I usually can), I can be sure any trout I catch has been in there for a good amount of time. 

Back many years ago when I kept wild brookies, they always had the pink flesh.

It used to be that freshly stocked fish had the colorless meat. Now it seems they come off the truck with pink meat. At least that's what people are saying. 

Trout is not my favorite to eat. When I eat one it's almost always cooked on the fire, either while ice fishing or early/late season when nobody is around and a shore fire doesn't attract trouble. 

Unless smoked, trout isn't my favorite either. Smoked is irresistible.  But my wife adores these trout with the salmon flesh.

As for the salmon colored flesh. I'm going to have to look into this.  I kept a real nice bow the other day which I kept because I mistakenly thought would be salmon colored.  When I cleaned it, it was pastey white.  However a few casts later I had to keep a slightly smaller bow because it was hooked in the gill. In spite if the fish being noticable smaller, it was a beautiful salmon color. That was the fish in my photo.

25 mins ago, giggyfish said:

@bob_G this has been what I’ve been seeing as far as colors go. 

2 brook 2 bows before, during and after.

9B39A399-02AF-4178-9D2A-30DCA31D92DD.jpeg

6B265647-6D4D-48B3-9BBE-30B986B72639.jpeg

64AB2D93-23CB-4848-8B44-861685DD8BEB.jpeg

Did you notice a difference in taste between the pink and pale ones?

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Did you notice a difference in taste between the pink and pale ones?

Nope both really good, no muddiness at all. My kids ate it up. 

Got my first two fly caught rainbows yesterday - had caught one single 'bow a week or so ago while throwing a suspending perch patterned husky jerk for bass/pickerel (that one was sort of a by-catch, although catching rainbows on that plug is not completely new)

Local trout fishing has really crashed for me. The last few days we've had near perfect conditions, but I failed to get so much as a look.

I did run into a midge hatch, and even those were going ignored.