Highlander1

Recliner- Power or Manual- Make

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Time for another new recliner, never considered power ones but the chairs themselves only last 5 or so years anyway so who cares when the power units go? Then again, how lazy can one be, its too much effort to raise and lower your recliner? Its against my nature to pay for supposed luxuries that I don't want or need. However, maybe its time I give in to the roaring 20's and let my wife enjoy the comforts that she will like. Last one was leather, overrated, not sure its important or even helpful, its cold and hot. 

 

I like Lazy-Boy except for the klunky sound and feel of the raising and lowering, its a ratchet system which holds up but isn't ideal, maybe their powered units are quiet?

 

Anyway, not looking to break the bank, but don't need junk, I do like the Flexsteel product, a little pricey but sturdy and reliable, made in Iowa, they still do things right in Iowa (I think). 

 

Looking for opinions on what to get and what to stay away from.  Best I've owned and thats many, have been Lazy Boys. Thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Lazy Boy that is 27 years old.  I bought another Lazy Boy about 2 years ago that I absolutely love too.  Go to the stores and look for their clearance items; you can find a really good deal like I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Time for another new recliner, never considered power ones but the chairs themselves only last 5 or so years anyway so who cares when the power units go? Then again, how lazy can one be, its too much effort to raise and lower your recliner? Its against my nature to pay for supposed luxuries that I don't want or need. However, maybe its time I give in to the roaring 20's and let my wife enjoy the comforts that she will like. Last one was leather, overrated, not sure its important or even helpful, its cold and hot. 

 

I like Lazy-Boy except for the klunky sound and feel of the raising and lowering, its a ratchet system which holds up but isn't ideal, maybe their powered units are quiet?

 

Anyway, not looking to break the bank, but don't need junk, I do like the Flexsteel product, a little pricey but sturdy and reliable, made in Iowa, they still do things right in Iowa (I think). 

 

Looking for opinions on what to get and what to stay away from.  Best I've owned and thats many, have been Lazy Boys. Thoughts? 

Check out Bob's Furniture, in person if you can. They have many sizes and styles of recliners, including powered and not.

Nothing really beats trying something like that out. Bring the wife, let her choose one of her own or let her give her blessing to what you like. They will give a live time guaranty on some models, at least the way I remember it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry i didnt buy a bobs recliner..we spent a fortune on ours and im not crazy about it after A while..i woukd have spent less than half on bobs and wouldnt feel bad if i have to change it out in five years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a power, leather La-Z-Boy recliner when we did our family room over about 5 years ago. The thing is awesome....super comfortable and quiet operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Chunkah said:

I bought a power, leather La-Z-Boy recliner when we did our family room over about 5 years ago. The thing is awesome....super comfortable and quiet operation.

Same here with reclining sofa to match.

Don't by Bob's. The quality sucks. My daughter bought a Bob's "leather" sofa with recliners and a matching "leather" recliner chair. Two of the three motors crapped out and the "leather" has cracked and almost all peeled off. They have to use covers for the furniture. You get what you pay for.

Edited by slicedcornbread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some are confusing a "lift chair" with a "recliner"

A recliner ONLY reclines, so you would be getting up and off of the chair on your own.

 

A lift chair raises the seat up so it's easy for someone with health issues to get up off of the chair, abut it also reclines as well.

 

If you are just looking for a relining chair, and don't have any heath/mobility issues, a manual recliner would be good enough. Consider repair costs should the electric recliner break. (Hopefully not mid-way?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, woowoo2 said:

The power ones come in handy when someone is recovering from surgery.

 

But suck when the powers goes out or you want to get up quickly. You can close a manual chair much quicker, especially if fully reclined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Some are confusing a "lift chair" with a "recliner"

A recliner ONLY reclines, so you would be getting up and off of the chair on your own.

 

A lift chair raises the seat up so it's easy for someone with health issues to get up off of the chair, abut it also reclines as well.

 

If you are just looking for a relining chair, and don't have any heath/mobility issues, a manual recliner would be good enough. Consider repair costs should the electric recliner break. (Hopefully not mid-way?)

 

This post is a good representation of why I rarely read your posts. :waiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, slicedcornbread said:

Same here with reclining sofa to match.

Don't by Bob's. The quality sucks. My daughter bought a Bob's "leather" sofa with recliners and a matching "leather" recliner chair. Two of the three motors crapped out and the "leather" has cracked and almost all peeled off. They have to use covers for the furniture. You get what you pay for.

I put covers on my furniture when I have certain company stop by.

 

KS4tLHu.gif

Edited by Jimichanga
Gif no workie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, slicedcornbread said:

Same here with reclining sofa to match.

Don't by Bob's. The quality sucks. My daughter bought a Bob's "leather" sofa with recliners and a matching "leather" recliner chair. Two of the three motors crapped out and the "leather" has cracked and almost all peeled off. They have to use covers for the furniture. You get what you pay for.

I put covers on my furniture when I have certain company stop by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikeMc said:

 

But suck when the powers goes out or you want to get up quickly. You can close a manual chair much quicker, especially if fully reclined. 

This, when you in a hurry it's not fast enough. We ordered special fabric (lazy-boy) which faded in some spots, contacted them total waste of time. The chair will work with one or two 9 volt batteries when the power fails. No more lazy boy for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.