tristate

Irish whiskey

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, autonomos said:

I think they hold their own against similar priced scotches and bourbons but it is subjective. Everyone’s going to have their own tastes. My tastes may be a little biased because I drank Jameson for years before I ever knew anything about whiskey. So maybe that’s why I like the Irish whiskeys.  I can also say that I prefer single malt scotch to bourbon now. Irish whiskey is much more similar to scotch than bourbon. 

Would you say Jameson is typical of Irish whiskeys in it's taste profile? If so,that would explain my disdain for them.American bourbon or rye...

12 hours ago, Micronerd15 said:

A sleeper is Glendalough. All ages good but the 13 in mizunara casks phenomenal.  

Indeed it is!!!  Gotta love the patron saint too!!

Have not yet had the 13 in mizunara casks but it is now at the top of my list!  Thanks for the tip

On 4/4/2021 at 7:31 PM, Good2Go said:

Jamesons, 2 shots for me and guaranteed headache next day. Bushmill might be a bit more expensive (like 25 a fifth here in CT) but have never had a bad next day. Also second on the Old Overholt. Nice sipping rye whiskey, dirt cheap. Kentucky sourced I think. 

Yo on the Overholt!!  Was what my Uncle used Every election day!!

18 hours ago, flies-n-plugs said:

Proper no.. 12.  Jameson’s is ok.  I figured that Connor McGregor put his name on a cheap whiskey to make a few $$’s off his name, until I tried it.  So smooth and easy sipping straight up that it’s almost a sin to drop a single cube in it, and at around $35 is pretty damn affordable.  Myself and a few buds who all enjoy bourbons really liked proper a lot.

I haven’t seen many favorable reviews of the Proper 12. But I really should try it for myself. At that price it’s not that big of a gamble 

7 hours ago, fishinthedark said:

It's the nature of Irish Whiskey... Commercial stuff it almost always a blend... how could that compete with the 1000's of single malt Scotches. Agreed about the Robin RedBreast, Teeling, GreenSpot and it not cheap but the red and yellow spots...Most of These are all Single Pot. Also Disagree about the Irish not being able to cook, if you are ever over there go to Galway. Food is Great.

I don’t think that the blended Irish whiskeys are bad at all. At least the ones I’ve tried. I like what I like regardless of price. I think I like green spot better than yellow spot.   I like Redbreast 12 better than lustau.  I always have  a bottle Jameson. It’s the only thing I buy a handle of (except maybe 1800 when I feel like tequila or margaritas).   

6 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Would you say Jameson is typical of Irish whiskeys in it's taste profile? If so,that would explain my disdain for them.American bourbon or rye...

I would say Jameson is typical in that it’s everywhere, and because of that it defines Irish whiskey for a lot of people. Not a bad thing.  I would pick Redbreast in it’s taste profile as is a single pot still whiskey which is exclusive to Ireland. Jameson is a blend.