I, I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I, I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

14 hours ago, Sudsy said:

My last name is Kelly and I'm the first to say that the Irish suck at whiskey606a1c38ebb0e_JamesonreserveatGoogleshouse.jpg.dad77dc52773cafe681328229e86bd8c.jpg

But - If you're forced to drink any Irish whiskey this one is pretty OK

Not sure what it costs but had it at a friends house and it was good enough to take a picture for future reference

This one was only available through duty-free shops as far as I know, not on store shelves. My sister bought me a bottle while traveling back to the states from the UK back in ~2014. I liked it so much that I searched high and low for it, and could never find it in liquor stores. A trip to the Jameson website along with Google explained it was made soley for duty-free shops. Went to the UK in 2017, bought a bottle on the way over and me and my buddy drank 80% of it in one night. Managed to get two bottles on the way home, and they lasted me a couple years. If I could ever find it, I'd buy a case. Jameson has another "travel exclusive" available now...good, but not as good.

Jameson Signature Reserve (jamesonwhiskey.com)

20171209_085230.jpg

6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Are they better or at least equal to comparatively priced Scotches or American whiskeys ? (been on a Whistlepig 12 year rye kick recently)

Beer & whiskey or whisky is all I drink. I enjoy a nice smokey single malt. I don't mind a good Irish whiskey. I will look up Whistlepig 12 yr rye. I find rye to be a nice change occasionally. How much $ does that run?

JD

16 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Are they better or at least equal to comparatively priced Scotches or American whiskeys ? (been on a Whistlepig 12 year rye kick recently)

I think they hold their own against similar priced scotches and bourbons but it is subjective. Everyone’s going to have their own tastes. My tastes may be a little biased because I drank Jameson for years before I ever knew anything about whiskey. So maybe that’s why I like the Irish whiskeys.  I can also say that I prefer single malt scotch to bourbon now. Irish whiskey is much more similar to scotch than bourbon. 

Lived in Dublin for 8 months and got hooked. For base Jameson price point, I second the Powers suggestion. Teeling also. But if you are staying at this price point, come home to bourbon. Many more offerings, such as Buffalo Trace, at very reasonable prices. For really great Irish product, a few more $ should be spent. 15yr Red Breast, Yellow Spot, Middletons Very Rare. A sleeper is Glendalough. All ages good but the 13 in mizunara casks phenomenal.  

Proper no.. 12.  Jameson’s is ok.  I figured that Connor McGregor put his name on a cheap whiskey to make a few $$’s off his name, until I tried it.  So smooth and easy sipping straight up that it’s almost a sin to drop a single cube in it, and at around $35 is pretty damn affordable.  Myself and a few buds who all enjoy bourbons really liked proper a lot.

14 hours ago, autonomos said:

This is the current stock in the basement. The empty spot was Redbreast 12 year that I finished Saturday that I need to replace. 

9C8E78DA-1632-47C5-98FF-95D85CBA474D.jpeg

Nice collection.

Upper left, Ardbeg & Laphroig are two of my favorite single malts.

JD

On 4/4/2021 at 9:08 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Taggin for interest.  

I love whisky but am too poor to drink it. 

Right now my goto is Canadian Mist. $18 per 1.75L. 

Dammm I just had so much of that I was getting rid of 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, autonomos said:

I’ll have to disagree here. The first record of distilled whiskey is from Ireland. The word “whiskey” itself is of Irish origin. Before prohibition Irish whiskey was widely accepted as the finest in the world. 
Try a Redbreast or Greenspot. Two favorite single pot still whiskeys. 
and if single malt is your thing, the Teeling single malt is outstanding. 

It's the nature of Irish Whiskey... Commercial stuff it almost always a blend... how could that compete with the 1000's of single malt Scotches. Agreed about the Robin RedBreast, Teeling, GreenSpot and it not cheap but the red and yellow spots...Most of These are all Single Pot. Also Disagree about the Irish not being able to cook, if you are ever over there go to Galway. Food is Great.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, Chunkah said:

Jameson @ ~$45.00 for a 1.75 liter bottle is about as cheap as decent whiskey comes. Old Overholt is a rye, but cheap, and is great straight.

I like rye,Bulleit green...Jameson,not so much.