surf rod

Rate this topic

basslander

I am looking for some recommendations for a second surf rod. I would like to pick up a rod for casting smaller bucktails or lures from 3/4 to 2 ounces. Something for spring or late fall, smaller days out front or the backside of the inlet. I currently use a 10'6 MH Lami which is bit too much for this kind of fishing.

A two piece is preferable and something that will not break the bank, maybe less that $300 bucks as my wife is sure to break it or my daughter will step on it.

Thanks.

Ty

Okuma Rockaway, 1/2 to 2oz

Either 9', 10' or 11'

Less than $100 + tax

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

11 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The Prevail can be had for about the same. These rods are tough and not fancy. I’ve seen the sell for as little as $65. I got mine on the bst in a trade here about 2014. All guides are still in place.

Def a great rod, my wife loves hers, 9ft ,3/4-3oz with a BG-20/15 mono, thing casts great. 

Total cost was a buck and a half for the whole rig .

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

The ocean master Breakwater is another good option. Fuji components and I heard a rumor on youtube made by Penn. Right about 100 bucks. I believe they make a 9 foot. I have an 11 that has been good. I just dont like the extra long handle. About 20 bucks and 10 minutes fixes that though.

8 hours ago, fishhappy said:

The Prevail can be had for about the same. These rods are tough and not fancy. I’ve seen the sell for as little as $65. I got mine on the bst in a trade here about 2014. All guides are still in place.

Prevel may be nice rod, too.

But never had one in my hand.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

16 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

Tsunami airwave elite 9’ 6” 3/4-3oz or 8’ 8” 1/2-2oz both great rods and under $200. 

Second the AWE! The 9'-6" is an awesome rod, I haven't used the 8'-8" but if it's anything like the 9'-6" it will be lights out.My favorite rod for throwing topwater and smaller lures. Throws cotton cordell pencils,tins,sps, etc. a country mile. I believe it's a 60/40 split. Very light weight rod that doesn't bother my bad shoulders after 4 hours of use.

Edited by Turkeybacn