BrianBM

Transmission coolers on current 4x4 P/Us

9 posts in this topic

Are they still a good idea? Especially if you have a one-ton with a camper, are transmission coolers a really, really good idea? Or is that out of date?

Is there even a 1 ton that doesn't come with one from the factory?   I know there are sealed transmission which is rediculous.    Don't know.  Maybe fluid tech is a lot better.   

Kind of unnecessary.Newer 1 ton PUs can pull a backhoe/trailer without the trans overheating.
If you do gain heat on the beach likely cause is a big cooler mounted in front blocking air to the radiator/trans cooler.
An aftermarket electric fan can fix that.Running in 4 low helps too.

21 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Are they still a good idea? Especially if you have a one-ton with a camper, are transmission coolers a really, really good idea? Or is that out of date?

Absolutely a good idea.

Heat is the biggest enemy of an automatic transmission.

1 hour ago, Possum said:

If you do gain heat on the beach likely cause is a big cooler mounted in front blocking air to the radiator/trans cooler.

I disagree, speed up the engine on the beach a bit and the fan will pull all  the air needed. An aux cooler can be very useful in a lot of applications

2 hours ago, riggler said:

I disagree, speed up the engine on the beach a bit and the fan will pull all  the air needed. An aux cooler can be very useful in a lot of applications

I agree that inadequate airflow is probably the cause of a 1 ton PU gaining heat on the beach...

When I had my LBZ Dmax..... never should have sold her. Anyway, I put a deep well finned trans pan on and diff cover (Mag-Hytec). That and the added fluid dropped my temp by +/- 10 degrees. Cheap insurance IMO and driveway easy to do.