BrianBM

Transmission coolers on current 4x4 P/Us

9 posts in this topic

Are they still a good idea? Especially if you have a one-ton with a camper, are transmission coolers a really, really good idea? Or is that out of date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there even a 1 ton that doesn't come with one from the factory?   I know there are sealed transmission which is rediculous.    Don't know.  Maybe fluid tech is a lot better.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of unnecessary.Newer 1 ton PUs can pull a backhoe/trailer without the trans overheating.
If you do gain heat on the beach likely cause is a big cooler mounted in front blocking air to the radiator/trans cooler.
An aftermarket electric fan can fix that.Running in 4 low helps too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Are they still a good idea? Especially if you have a one-ton with a camper, are transmission coolers a really, really good idea? Or is that out of date?

Absolutely a good idea.

 

Heat is the biggest enemy of an automatic transmission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Possum said:


If you do gain heat on the beach likely cause is a big cooler mounted in front blocking air to the radiator/trans cooler.
 

I disagree, speed up the engine on the beach a bit and the fan will pull all  the air needed. An aux cooler can be very useful in a lot of applications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, riggler said:

I disagree, speed up the engine on the beach a bit and the fan will pull all  the air needed. An aux cooler can be very useful in a lot of applications

I agree that inadequate airflow is probably the cause of a 1 ton PU gaining heat on the beach...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had my LBZ Dmax..... never should have sold her. Anyway, I put a deep well finned trans pan on and diff cover (Mag-Hytec). That and the added fluid dropped my temp by +/- 10 degrees. Cheap insurance IMO and driveway easy to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.